• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Solved.
Kudos0

File Insight WS.Reputation.1

Hi,

I downloaded a file networx_setup.exe from a site with a green tick, the file bounced upon reputation, unknown number of users and unknown file release (the site claims the file version is 4 days old). The Norton site suggests the software developer is responsible to apply for white-listing. I would be happy to advise any business that their product has been bounced, however I would not like to put my name forward to a business that might be dodgy. Obviously this might be a simple fix for the business concerned, and obviously not all business are dodgy. On the other hand, that file insight screen is very red right now...kinda looks scary. I wish to be careful.

Here is the site http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ for the download and here is the email support@softperfect.com for the business and this seems to be their home page http://www.softperfect.com/.

I am wondering about best suggestion...???

Lyle.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Re: File Insight WS.Reputation.1

The Symantec Insight Dispute team has reviewed your recent submission to the Insight Dispute Submission form Webpage form "Networx." In light of further investigation and analysis Symantec is happy to remove this detection from within its products. Please ensure that your machine reflects the change by running LiveUpdate. Decisions made by Symantec are subject to change if alterations to the Software are made over time or as classification criteria and/or the policy employed by Symantec changes over time to address the evolving landscape. Sincerely, Symantec Insight Dispute Team

Replies

Kudos0

Hi,

I downloaded a file networx_setup.exe from a site with a green tick, the file bounced upon reputation, unknown number of users and unknown file release (the site claims the file version is 4 days old). The Norton site suggests the software developer is responsible to apply for white-listing. I would be happy to advise any business that their product has been bounced, however I would not like to put my name forward to a business that might be dodgy. Obviously this might be a simple fix for the business concerned, and obviously not all business are dodgy. On the other hand, that file insight screen is very red right now...kinda looks scary. I wish to be careful.

Here is the site http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ for the download and here is the email support@softperfect.com for the business and this seems to be their home page http://www.softperfect.com/.

I am wondering about best suggestion...???

Lyle.

Kudos0

Hi Lyle:

Please refer to this post for yourself -

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Clarification-on-WS-Reputation-1-detection/td-p/232155

If desired,  you can forward it to the software developer.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Atomic_Blast :)

"Every day is just another increment on the bell curve of life."
Kudos0

Crikey,

Please be assured that our products do not contain any viruses, trojans, adware or malware of any kind. If your antivirus reports a virus, it is a false positive and you can safely ignore it provided the file has been downloaded from our web-site.

Why would a business plant that remark onto their download page?

I have done a google search on the file, it looks scary. Seems it is a file that violent computer junkies use to bundle malice.

This business uses a product by the file name that is attached to violence. ha ha ha, very funny.

It claims to be an Australian business, I could let the cops know ...ha ha.

Kudos0

thanks Mr Blast,

I have submitted a request.

Will see what turns up.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Lyle:

I currently have NetWorx 5.2.1 installed on my PC, and when I downloaded the latest v. 5.2.2 networx_setup.exe file from www.softperfect.com/products/networx today I also got the same warning from NIS 2011's File Insight.

This is a relatively new update (released 10-Jan-2012) and it looks like it's "untrusted" simply because there are too few users in the Norton community who have downloaded this file.  I've been using this software for about 5 months now without any problems and it's probably safe to click the Trust Now link but I'm going to submit my own false positive report here to ensure other users don't run into the same problem.

--------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 9.0.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Thanks heaps Imacri,

That looks like two reports now to Norton's white listing thingy.

I feel I managed to conclude what you posted with my searching about on the topic which has inspired me to not yet dismiss the product. Very interesting to be learning about the Insight feature, so this has been very valuable for the learning experience.

I am still worried about the initial reason for me to search out this product, something is chewing through my download charge and that looks scary.

Any suggestions on how I should respond on tracking down the problem will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Lyle.

Kudos0

ooops, sorry didn't mean to appear upset

feel highly stressed right now as I have just confirmed there is a problem with something eating at my download charge

Lyle.

Kudos0

have emptied my upload tray on the BitTorrent, that would be the most likely cause, given my recent music search ...happy with what i found. Likely i need to be more prudent in future if this is the cause...

the software i wish to use to better know what is happening is so new it might be safe, but waiting for a confirmation through the Norton process after that angry red alert fronted on up. Someone else in the Norton community has confirmed and submitted a request on that file also ...all experience adding to my knowledgebase as I work through the research ...when it is all figured, should have some kewl new computer utilities to learn about and some knowledge to share ...exciting stuff, now back to the stress, the more I ponder, the more it looks like the Bit Torrent bit me..

and i admitted on my FB page ...just don't wanna lose more cash if this is not the solution

so if that file comes up fine, i'll do some more learning on the computing, so i am focussed on the solutions

really do appreciate the help everyone

Lyle.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

The Symantec Insight Dispute team has reviewed your recent submission to the Insight Dispute Submission form Webpage form "Networx." In light of further investigation and analysis Symantec is happy to remove this detection from within its products. Please ensure that your machine reflects the change by running LiveUpdate. Decisions made by Symantec are subject to change if alterations to the Software are made over time or as classification criteria and/or the policy employed by Symantec changes over time to address the evolving landscape. Sincerely, Symantec Insight Dispute Team
Kudos0

Hi Lyle:

Thanks for the heads up.  I downloaded the NetWorx v. 5.2.2 update today without any problem.

If BitTorrent doesn't turn out to be the cause of your problem, the latest 2012 versions of NIS and NAV have a new feature called Metered Bandwidth - see the Norton blog article here as well as Symantec employee michaell's post here for more details.  If you suspect that some of the idletime background Norton tasks that consume bandwidth (especially Automatic LiveUpdates, Idle Quick Scans, Norton Community Watch and Norton Insight - go to Performance | Norton Tasks for a complete list of tasks) are contributing to the problem you can configure Metered Bandwidth to control how your Norton product is using bandwidth during system idles.

The Idle Quick Scan and Norton Insight tasks cannot be disabled but Automatic LiveUpdates and Norton Community Watch can be disabled if required.  If you disable Automatic LiveUpdates it would be necessary to run a manual LiveUpdate at least once a day to keep your virus definitions up-to-date.

----------

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.6.0.29 * IE 9.0 * Firefox 9.0.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Thanks Imacri,

I am confident BitTorrent is the cause, I also discovered the red X on the app only hides the app. Because I left the music files in the upload folder, this would be the only change in my computing habits recently that I can point to that would have produced a swipe at my connection costs. I have been using the Norton settings for a long time and happy with the automatic features, thanks for directing me to the Norton Tasks screen, I always like to have a play about and learn more each time something new happens. I am now using the Networx app. The toolbar attached to my 64-bit IE rather than the regulr IE app I have been using, do you have any suggestion on how to get the toolbar onto both IE apps?

Also, this has been fun learning about Insight and the reputation feature and actively being part of a solution. I lost about $50 which is hard for a disabled pensioner, however I gained that much in experience and what I will also shortly learn with the new tools at hand. Naughty me, i ignored the remark on the angry red Insight box that said file removed, no further action required. My Jedi instinct told me to look further.

Cheers for the help,

Lyle.

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

I do not have permission to view the two blogs you have linked.

Lyle.

Kudos0

Lyle wrote:
I am now using the Networx app. The toolbar attached to my 64-bit IE rather than the regulr IE app I have been using, do you have any suggestion on how to get the toolbar onto both IE apps?

Hi Lyle:

Sorry about the broken links regarding Metered Bandwidth - they aren't working for me either.  The Norton blog article What's New in Norton Internet Security 2012 is here and michaell's post with further details is here.

And regarding the NetWorx toolbar, I declined the installing the Deskband feature and I don't have a NetWorx toolbar in my browsers.  If you open your 32-bit IE browser and go to View | Toolbars is there a NetWorx toolbar listed that you can enable?  According to the post in the NetWorx forum here you can right click in bottom taskbar of your Windows desktop and choose Toolbars | NetWorx Toolbar to enable the toolbar, but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with a browser toolbar.

---------

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.