Kudos0

Unable to use Identity Safe from browser

I recently upgraded to Norton 2012 with a new computer.  Until today I was able to use Idently Safe fine from both IE and Chrome, but starting today I've been able to use it from neither.  The toolbar on both browsers suddenly asked me for my email and password, but will not recognieze the one I enter.  If I access Identity Safe from the website, I have no problem viewing my online vault, but the same login and password is rejected by the Norton toobar on IE and Chrome.  Since I need the toolbar to autocomplete my passwords, this is more than just a little inconvenient.  Any suggestions?  (My password is not 20 characters long.)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Unable to use Identity Safe from browser

superlegoboy wrote:

I recently upgraded to Norton 2012 with a new computer.  Until today I was able to use Idently Safe fine from both IE and Chrome, but starting today I've been able to use it from neither.  The toolbar on both browsers suddenly asked me for my email and password, but will not recognieze the one I enter.  If I access Identity Safe from the website, I have no problem viewing my online vault, but the same login and password is rejected by the Norton toobar on IE and Chrome.  Since I need the toolbar to autocomplete my passwords, this is more than just a little inconvenient.  Any suggestions?  (My password is not 20 characters long.)

When you attempt to log- in from the toolbar, please ensure that it says Log-In to Identity Safe (LOCAL). 

I have seen it say (ONLINE) and since the two passwords are different it will not permit you to log in (using your local vault password).  If I recall correctly, when it comes up with ONLINE from the toolbar, there is an option below the password block to login to your Local account.

Please keep us posted.

Kudos0

Thanks to the input. My Norton toolbar wouldn't recognize any local profile, so I tried to create a new one on my computer with the hopes that I would feel the download the information from the online vault. I'm now in the situation where my online vault has all information, but my local login has nothing. I can't figure out how to get my online vault information back on my local computer. Any suggestions?

Kudos0

Adding to yank post,

Have you tried to log into online vault through NIS Main UI->Settings->Web->Log in to Identity safe(Online)?

Login to Nortonaccount before logging into online vault, Once you log into Online vault, you will have all the information(logins)

Export your online vault information(NIS Main UI->Settings->Web->Log in to Identity safe(Online)->Export data)

After exporting online vault information, Log out from Online vault and log into local vault then import the identity safe data which you have already  (NIS Main UI->Settings->Web->Log in to Identity safe(Local)->import data)

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes?

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Just a quick note that I am seeing the same problem this morning. I can not log into Identity Safe via the toolbar in IE, Firefox, or chrome. The error message I get is "Failed to login to your norton account. Please check the supplied credentials".

I am aware of the two tiered password system and I am using the right credentials for my Norton Account, I have not got to the step where I use my Identifity Safe password. My passwords are stored online.

If I go straight to account.norton.com, I can log in, then get my passwords via the norton identify safe app menu.

The toolbars are not communicating properly with my online norton account.

Kudos0

I'm having the same problem.  I can log into either mynortonaccount.com or identitysafe.norton.com without any problems, but when trying to log in through either the IE or Firefox toolbars it immediately tells my my login info is incorrect.

Kudos0

I am alos experiencing this problem and have reported it to Norton for assistance.

Kudos0

I've been using NIS 2012 for at least three months after upgrading and haven't had any problems with it until a few days ago.  It wouldn't let me log into Identity safe.  I can't login online and I don't have anything stored locally.

At first I thought my password was bad so I reset it, but that didn't work.  I could use it to login to my Norton account online through the browser, but not the toolbar, so it's a communication issue between the toolbar and Norton.

I never had to login to my Norton account before logging into Identity safe but now I have to do it daily.

I haven't changed any browser settings or NIS settings recently.  With all of these reports, my guess is Symantec made some changes on their end this is a bug.

Please help! Security is a big deal and that's why we use this product.

Thanks!

Kudos3 Stats

I started getting the "Failed to login to Norton Account.  Please check the supplied credentials."  error today also.  Everyone stop spinning your wheels with all the silly troubleshooting nonsense being pitched here.  I brought up a sniffer and attempted to authenticate.  No packet is sent to the internet whatsoever.  This means the Norton Software is not even attempting to log into the remote server.  It is just flashing back to the error screen without doing anything.

This is a client problem and the Norton dev team can stop giving out their normal junk advice about clean uninstalls, try this or that, nonsense.  The client broke today likely due to a recent live update.  Until they make the client send the authentication data to the remote server, no gyrating by the user will help.

I am both a multi decade network systems engineer and software developer.  I hope this message will reduce the amount of time wasted by the end users trying to figure out Symantec's software bug for them.

Symantec, you have some work to do.  I suggest you get to it.

Kudos0

Yes, don't bother with Norton Support personnel. I asked them about my Identity Safe Logon problem but the person said he was not aware of any global logon problems with "Identity Safe Logon". I also went through the many standard user verifications. He wanted to remote to my system. After about 15 minutes of non productive conversation he said that the Norton servers where having a synchronization problem and to try again in one hour. All was working fine for me last night. I will just have to bear it out till Norton gets a fix.

Kudos0

I have the same problem.  An update on the issue would be great.

Kudos0

Me, too.  And I thought it was my computer! 

HELP, SYMANTEC!!!

Kudos0

The only update there is - is that they are working it!

Kudos0

How does one report ito Norton - perhaps if enough of us complain, they'll move it higher up their priority list!

So user-friendly.  No phone number!

Kudos0

I'm having the same issue this morning. I can login to my Norton Account via a brower and see all of my logins, but when I try to access it through the program interface it rejects my Norton Account password, which has been the same for more than 3 years. Every day is a new adventure with NIS 2012. Whatever is going on over there in the Norton Cloud needs to be fixed because your programmers are out to lunch.

Kudos1 Stats

As you can see (below), we have the same problem here as well...

And you cannot login from the main UI (as suggested by the tech's posting,) either...

So...when might we expect this to be usable again, may we ask?  Having made the mistake of moving our logins onto Symantec's cloud (holding tank, more like) we're now hosed until they get their cloud operational again.  And when (or if?) they do, I intend to see to it that we retain this information locally ONLY and not trust Symantec's cloud technology with it again.

Regards,

John Burns

Software Research

Kudos0

Me too!!!   

Enrique DiazruanovaWindows 7 Home Premium (x64bit) - NIS 2013 Ver. 20.1.1.2 - RAM: 8Gb - CPU Intel Corei7 860 @ 2.90 GHz - Graphic Card ATI-Radeon HD-5670
Kudos0

And Symantec's support is right in the tank (or cloud) too, along with everything else at this point.  It seems that Nathan (the virtual Symantec support technician - That's right, as a Symantec customer you're only intitled to a virtual support tech) doesn't have any good answers or suggestions for this one.

However, I must give Virtual Nathan some credit - at least he's answering basic inquiries - That probably makes him (or it) just a little bit smarter than the more life-like Symantec techs...

Kudos3 Stats

The same thing is happening to me. The Identity Safe team is aware of the issue and are researching it's cause. More information will be posted as we gather it.

Cheers,

Dave

Kudos0

They could always roll back whatever change they rolled out last night and probably have it whipped.

Kudos0

I think I will store my information locally too, this issue seriously undermined what little trust I had in this cloud tech stuff.

Kudos0

Me too.

Worked fine for months until a couple days ago...

Smooth move...

Kudos0

I certainly hope this is not some downside outfall related to Symantec's recently reported security breech. The ZDNet article (Reported here), dated January 6th, 2012 gives some of the details of what occurred.

Kudos1 Stats

avjohnnie wrote:

I certainly hope this is not some downside outfall related to Symantec's recently reported security breech. The ZDNet article (Reported here), dated January 6th, 2012 gives some of the details of what occurred.

Hi,

I think the problem has been identified as a local malfunction and not the result of any outside influence. Not to worry.

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

I am adding my complaint to the growing list.  I am having the very same problem as everyone else.  Been working fine until today, really this evening, and now I can't login via the browser toolbar.  Logging in directly online works just fine though.

Kudos0

txblackbird wrote:

I am adding my complaint to the growing list.  I am having the very same problem as everyone else.  Been working fine until today, really this evening, and now I can't login via the browser toolbar.  Logging in directly online works just fine though.

Welcome,

Your complaint has been noted. The technicians are still hard at work repairing the problem. An announcement has been promised WHEN they have succeeded. I hope they have quick success.

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Same problem; I can no longer log into identity safe through my browser. Also I was prompted anew to turn on Safe Web, something I'd done as part of the initial set up months ago. Then when I chose "Support" from the dashboard an Autofix message said that the installation-- again, ages ago --failed to complete and I must uninstall and reinstall, which I will not. Tried a number of other time-wasting non-solutions before finally finding this thread, only useful thing so far.

Please fix it.

(Oddly, Power Eraser won't work either, says not installed or need updated version--downloaded again from website, same thing again.)

Kudos2 Stats

Hi All,

Sorry for the inconvinience you are facing with IDSafe. Our IDSafe Engineers are working overnight on the fix and we will have more information before noon Pacific time.

Thank you for your patience and continued support!

Preetha DG
Norton Forums Moderator
Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

Hi All!

I reported this problem in a different thread yesterday, but am now adding to this one. As of 7.27 am EST it is still down. :(

Hope this will get solved soon...

Kudos0

i got a Product Update 2 days ago.

after that Identity Safe problems appeared

Kudos0

The cloud went poof!  Still waiting...

Kudos0

I've been told a LiveUpdate patch to fix this issue will be posted soon. I haven't received the patch yet.

In a couple of hours I'll run LiveUpdate, then re-boot my laptop, to see if I got the patch and am able to login to Identity Safe / Norton Account without problem.

Cheers!

Kudos1 Stats

Okay, all fixed. I ran LiveUpdate. After downloading and installing the patch it told me I had to reboot. After reboot I'm able to login to Norton Account / Identity Safe again.

All is good.

Cheers!

Dave

Kudos0

I'm good after update and reboot as well.

Now what do I get for being a forcefully drafted beta tester?

Kudos0

All fixed here, too. Thank you.

Kudos0

Yep, here, too.

Kudos0

Kudos to the team for an all night marathon!

Hugh
Kudos0

I'm up and running too now after the install and reboot. For the future, everytime I create a new login I'm going to export my data locally and save it to my network drive, that way I always have a copy of it I can revert to in case the cloud ever goes poof for good.

Kudos0

Dave_Coleman wrote:

Okay, all fixed. I ran LiveUpdate. After downloading and installing the patch it told me I had to reboot. After reboot I'm able to login to Norton Account / Identity Safe again.

All is good.

Cheers!

Dave

Is it really (all good, that is)?  I have good reason to believe that this mess-up has exposed my Identity Safe content to unwanted parties…  Whom do I speak to regarding that?

Regards,

John Burns

Software Research

Kudos0

Another question...

How does one go about permanently deleting the content of their online Identity Safe vault?  Though at this point it does seem a bit like locking the door after the thief has already left with all the valuables…

I tried using the “Delete Data” function in the main NIS UI and now (as I would expect) when I log into the Identity Safe portal I get a “No vault for this account” message.  However, if I setup a new Identity Safe on the computer it asks for my Norton Login and Identity Safe password then it retrieves (syncs) the old Identity Safe content from online - so it’s obviously still there, hovering about somewhere in Symantec’s clouds.  So I ask again, please - How do I make this not happen?  After all - "No vault for this account" should mean NO CONTENT for this account, shouldn't it?

Regards

John Burns

Software Research

Kudos0

Hi avjohnnie,

Since the issue was fixed by a patch applied to local installations of NIS on users' computers, it is unlikely that there was any problem or compromise of the online data store.  As junksoftware posted earlier, it appears that something caused the local program to stop attempting to authenticate with the online vault - therefore the inability to access your data was due to the local program not initiating a log-in session, rather than being an issue with the cloud storage itself.  Nevertheless, I hope someone from Symantec will post an explanation that will alleviate your concerns.

Kudos0

SendOfJive wrote:

Hi avjohnnie,

Since the issue was fixed by a patch applied to local installations of NIS on users' computers, it is unlikely that there was any problem or compromise of the online data store.  As junksoftware posted earlier, it appears that something caused the local program to stop attempting to authenticate with the online vault - therefore the inability to access your data was due to the local program not initiating a log-in session, rather than being an issue with the cloud storage itself.  Nevertheless, I hope someone from Symantec will post an explanation that will alleviate your concerns.

I’ll reiterate – I have very good reason to believe that a compromise occurred.

Perhaps you could direct me to a procedural outline for permanently deleting the aforementioned cloud stored content?

Regards,

John Burns

Software Research

Kudos0

I had the same issue as other posters in this thread.  IDSafe in browser would not accept my login credentials.  I was also unable to login to my online vault via the Identity Safe Portal at identitysafe.norton.com, and I continue to get "invalid password" error when I attempt to login there for some reason.

I am now able to login to IDSafe via browser (IE9), but all of my logins/passwords have vanished from my online vault.  Not sure what happened, but like avjohnnie, I would like to make sure my personal data is permanently deleted, and not just floating around somewhere in The Cloud.  Directions for this would be most appreciated.  Thank you.

Kudos0

While I was temporarily unable to login to my vault via the NIS UI, I was able to log into my vault via the portal the entire time. My logins are fully intact, as well. I always keep a backup of my logins on several local drives to make sure that if I do lose them or find an empty vault, I can easily restore them. I, too, am somewhat concerned about whether or not the logins were compromised at any point in time. I read about a portion of Symantec's source code for pcAnywhere being breached. Hopefully that didn't include anything else. I've been carefully monitoring various websites and accounts for activity and I'm prepared to change them just in case.
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 -- NIS 21.3.0.12; MBAM Pro (non realtime); SAS Pro(non realtime)
Kudos0

avjohnnie wrote:

I tried using the “Delete Data” function in the main NIS UI and now (as I would expect) when I log into the Identity Safe portal I get a “No vault for this account” message.  However, if I setup a new Identity Safe on the computer it asks for my Norton Login and Identity Safe password then it retrieves (syncs) the old Identity Safe content from online - so it’s obviously still there, hovering about somewhere in Symantec’s clouds. 

According to the NIS 2012 Product Manual, deleting the vault should permanently remove the contents.  Did that not happen?

Deleting local vault and online vault

Identity Safe lets you create a local vault and an online
vault to save your Identity Safe data. If you no longer
require your Identity Safe data that is stored in your
local vault and online vault, you can delete the vaults.
When you delete the local vault and online vault, all
the Identity Safe data is permanently removed.

To delete the local vault and online vault

1 In the Norton Internet Security main window, click
Settings.
2 In the Settings window, click the Web tab.
3 In the left pane, click Identity Safe.
4 Under Identity Safe, in the Delete Identity Safe
row, click Configure.
5 In the Warning window, click Yes.
6 In the Settings window, click Apply.
7 Click OK.

Kudos0

Your procedural outline essentially details the same steps which I took yesterday (as reported in my earlier post of 1-25-12).  Yesterday after performing these steps NIS would still retrieve the online data when setting up a new Identity Safe, even though you could no longer access the old content via the online portal.  Today however, performing these exact same steps does result in it not being able retrieve the content after the deletion and upon setting up a new Identity Safe.  So something changed since yesterday…but that really matters not at this point since the desired result has been achieved.

BTW: Item 4 in your outline incorrectly refers to a “Delete Identity Safe” row – It’s actually called “Delete Data”.

Thank You for your response,

John Burns

Software Research

Kudos0

Hi Avjohnnie,

Once you delete identity safe data through (NIS MainUI->Settings->Web->Log in to Identity safe(Online vault)->Delete data), The data will be permanently deleted from server and you can't access those identity safe data even after you  "Setup new identity safe profile for online vault"

Hope this clears your doubt.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Hi M_kruse

Welcome to Norton community,

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

M_kruse wrote:

I am now able to login to IDSafe via browser (IE9), but all of my logins/passwords have vanished from my online vault.  Not sure what happened, but like avjohnnie, I would like to make sure my personal data is permanently deleted, and not just floating around somewhere in The Cloud.  Directions for this would be most appreciated.  Thank you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

After logging to Norton account and Online vault, Have you deleted your online vault through (NIS MainUI->Settings->Web->Log in to Identity safe(Online vault)->Delete data)? or  Have you reset Online vault by giving wrong password thrice?

If you have done this, identity safe data will be deleted  permanently from server and  you can't access(get) those data even if you Set up new identity safe for online vault.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Senthil,

Thank you for your response.  I suspect that when IDSafe would not accept my password multiple times, my data was deleted.

One other question: before I became aware of this issue, I had changed my username and password on my Norton Account.  I did NOT change the IDSafe password.  Does changing Norton Account login credentials affect the account's link to the the Online Vault?  

Thanks 

Kudos1 Stats

this problem returned for me today. it was resolved yesterday after a live update but as of 1/28/2012, i can't login again through the norton toolbar (i'm using firefox 9.0.1). same error as yesterday: check credentials etc.

Kudos0

Same thing just started tonight at around 8 pm eastern time.  I can log in via the webpage but can't from the toolbar or via the application.  (#&%$*#^&*(

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.