• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Unknown Files in ROOT Directory

First of all, I remember reading on a forum long time ago about these files, but I do not  remember the solution!  They started showing up again after I did a fresh install, when I purchased my new system.  

The files name format is in {XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX} and they all have common header of 

Žù[”éqèBºÉR°.yût.  Also, they are all less than 4k in size.   When I googled the header a Portugal forum came up but google could not translate it.

I have been using Norton, MalwareBytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, and online sanners since day one and nothing!  Nothing ever showed up on my old system either!

NIS 21.6.0.32 on Desktop Windows 7sp1 64Bit -- Norton 360 PE 2X.? on Toshiba satellite l875d-s7232 With Win8 64Bit

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Unknown Files in ROOT Directory

Kudos0

Re: Unknown Files in ROOT Directory

Thank you for the reply, but they are not folders.  They are files.  I found this, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/fi-FI/w7itprogeneral/thread/7b861402-aadc-4f33-933f-e5adc67bf707, about an hour ago.  It is the same thing I have going on, GUID named files in root directory.  I could not remember GUID or UUID when I first posted. 

Also, the first 16 bytes are always the same Žù[”éqèBºÉR°.yût.  Sorry, I should have been specific.

NIS 21.6.0.32 on Desktop Windows 7sp1 64Bit -- Norton 360 PE 2X.? on Toshiba satellite l875d-s7232 With Win8 64Bit

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.