• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Announcing Norton Internet Security 5.3 and Norton AntiVirus 12.3

Today we released Norton Internet Security 5.3 and Norton AntiVirus 12.3. This is our summer quarterly release for our flagship Mac security products. This release has lots of bug fixes and new features, including:

• Compatibility with Firefox 14
    • Compatibility with Mac OS X 10.8 GM Candidate. We will let you know if there are any other problems with Mac OS X 10.8 final release when it is announced.
    • Bug fixes in Norton Firewall and Norton Identity
    • Available in Dutch (Netherlands), Protugese (Brazil) and Swedish. Available in these countries by end of this summer.
    • Additional language packs available for more languages later this summer from http://together.norton.com. Help translate your Norton products into other languages!

Ryan

Ryan McGann Technical Director Norton Business Unit, Symantec

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Announcing Norton Internet Security 5.3 and Norton AntiVirus 12.3

Today we released Norton Internet Security 5.3 and Norton AntiVirus 12.3. This is our summer quarterly release for our flagship Mac security products. This release has lots of bug fixes and new features, including:

• Compatibility with Firefox 14
    • Compatibility with Mac OS X 10.8 GM Candidate. We will let you know if there are any other problems with Mac OS X 10.8 final release when it is announced.
    • Bug fixes in Norton Firewall and Norton Identity
    • Available in Dutch (Netherlands), Protugese (Brazil) and Swedish. Available in these countries by end of this summer.
    • Additional language packs available for more languages later this summer from http://together.norton.com. Help translate your Norton products into other languages!

Ryan

Kudos0

Can you provide us with a list of specific bugs that were fixed in this release?

I've had to disable some AntiVirus protection settings to avoid my system locking up, and I'd prefer not to have my system lock up again simply to see if a bug is fixed or not.

Has the problem with AntiVirus silently disabling itself been fixed?  The scan engine not loading?  The product unactivating itself?

If Norton Online Family has minimal support now for Safari and can block web sites, does your flagship Mac security product also provide blacklist protection for Safari now?

Kudos1 Stats

Obviously adding Safari support to Norton Online Family is the first step in adopting broader Safari support in our products. However there are some very obvious reasons we choose Norton Online Family first--it has a smaller feature set, and a smaller user base, in which we can try out our support for this new platform.

We're definitely still interested in supporting Safari for the security products as well, but we're taking small steps--Safari is going to hit version 6.0 any day now, and we had make significant changes once we had development builds to test with. Hopefully once Mountain Lion ships we will have more of an understanding what we can do with Safari 6.

Kudos0

I've noticed a big performance improvement in NAV for Mac 12.3. The application loads much quicker and so does Live Update.

Good work! 

MacBook Pro (Early-2011) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
Kudos0

Tried to download and install the latest NIS 5.3 but during installation it said it doesn't support my current version of OSX.

I'm using Mountain Lion (10.8) GM release.

Where do I get 5.3?   I uninstalled my previous version before the upgrade so that I didn't have compatiblity issues.

Kudos1 Stats

mickey,

Actually, LiveUpdate will download and installl all updates. We actually did not post a 5.3 full  yet so the only way to get it is to use LiveUpdate.

Unfortunately there is a problem now. Mountain Lion introduces a new feature called Gatekeeper. This feature, while a good idea, does break all existing software installers. Developers have to update their installers for Gatekepper, which we did in Norton Internet Security 5.3. However you can't get 5.3 yet. Gatekeeper does not affect software already installed on your machine, so if you still had the product installed you'd be fine, but now you'll need to wait until the full installers for Norton Internet Security are available from the Norton online store, sometime next week. The Norton Internet Security installers currently on the online store are not compatible with Mac OS X 10.8 GateKeeper feature.

Your Norton Account (which you hopefully created when you installed the product previously) can be accessed by going to mynortonaccount.com, and from there you can re-download any Norton product you own. You can re-download the Norton Internet Security 5.2 installer now, but you will need to disable Gatekeeper first before you install it, because it is not compatible.

Confusing, I know. Please contact me if you have questions.

Kudos0

I'd already disabled Gatekeeper (allow applications downloaded from: anywhere).

The version of NIS that I downloaded from Norton as trialware (in an attempt to get the latest version) tells me that the version of NIS is not compatible with my version of OSX.

Kudos0

Disregard previous.   While the trialware didn't work, I redownloaded from my account and that worked.

Thanks for the tip.

Kudos0

Hey. I'm using the latest Macbook Pro (not retina) and running Mountain Lion.

I was using the trail version, which expired, then i hit the renew option, filled info, paid, got charged. But when I enter my product key, it keeps coming 'Unable to Verify'.

Then I uninstalled, and reinstalled using the setup from mynorton account, and that hasn't solved. I updated everything using liveupdate too. Gatekeeper also disabled. Still displays 'Unable to Verify'

Now I'm charged for a year, but unable to use it. Whats the fix? If nothing for now, I'd atleast like a refund.

Kudos0

I can see that NIS5 is not fully compatible with Mountain Lion.

I have installed the same(updated using auto update), and I face problems still:

a) Auto scan for disk drives doesn't work(eg: attach a usb drive)

b) Norton Quick menu sometimes doesn't load on startup, and comes only after you take any norton utilities first time.

I have logged a case with norton support, and still it's under progress.

Hoping that, issues will be solved soon...

Kudos0

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-for-Mac/NIS-For-Mac-5-Doesn-t-Support-Mountain-Lion/td-p/771644

CORRECT SETUP Link - http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2012/NISNAVMAC/12.3_5.3/NortonInternetSecurity.EnglishESD.dmg

I don't know if its just me, but all the other links being provided on Norton do NOT work on the Mountain Lion 10.8!

The NIS Trail is just 66.1 MB setup

The NAV Trial is just 55.2 MB setup

The Link which was provided in that thread (the link I've posted above) is a 168 MB setup, and it worked. All I did was uninstall previous one, installed this, and then it worked. Right now, I'm running the live update. All protection settings (virus protection, idle time scan etc) were disabled though. Hoping the live update fixes that.

So I hope this gets fixed on the website soon! It took me a lot of time getting this issue sorted!

Kudos1 Stats

I think you are confused in a couple of ways here.

1) Norton AntiVirus 12 has never had, nor does it need, auto disk scan. This feature is replaced by scan on open, which scans files on external drives when they are opened. This is much faster and more secure than auto disk scan.

2) The trialware disk images are much smaller because they don't include the older versions of the products. The disk images that you download from the EStore include Norton Internet Security 4/Noton AntiVirus 11 free of charge, for our customers who have mixed households that use both 10.6 and 10.7. The trialware disk images do not include the older products and are therefore much smaller. 

The trialware disk images have been updated but are not available yet. We are working with the EStore to correct that but it'll take a couple of days for all languages.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.