• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos4 Stats

Local ID Safe Storage (including USB)

This is from the NIS 2013 Beta Forum:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-2013-Norton-Internet/What-happened-to-ID-Safe-local-vault/td-p/773836

We all hope a Symantec Employee sees this and provides feedback.

Tech83  :)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Local ID Safe Storage (including USB)

This is from the NIS 2013 Beta Forum:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-2013-Norton-Internet/What-happened-to-ID-Safe-local-vault/td-p/773836

We all hope a Symantec Employee sees this and provides feedback.

Tech83  :)

Kudos0

Dear Symantec developers,
dear Symantec product managers,

please return back to the Local identity Safe and the USB function.

Thanks.

Cheers, Jo Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Kudos0

I agree. I prefer saving my sites on my PC and not the web.  What if my connection is not available? Does that mean I cannot access my password on the go (like I need passwords for use on my mobile so I check for it on my PC).  Also, currently online ID safe require a password to log in unlike the local safe which logs in as soon as PC turns on.

Bring back the ability to store passwords locally on the PC in Norton 2013 products | Add the ability to turn off "share" in the Norton 2013 products or remove share altogether | Malware on your PC? Keep calm wait for forum member "Quads" to respond. Do NOTHING else. See for more information. | Did you know you can upgrade your Norton products for FREE if your subscription is valid?
Kudos0

scarfy wrote:

I agree. I prefer saving my sites on my PC and not the web.  What if my connection is not available? Does that mean I cannot access my password on the go (like I need passwords for use on my mobile so I check for it on my PC).  Also, currently online ID safe require a password to log in unlike the local safe which logs in as soon as PC turns on.

Hi scarfy,

While I whole-heartedly agree that users should be able to store their ID Safe locally there is no way that Symantec or any other company would allow a cloud based solution to be password free. That is simply way too risky.

I would argue that having no password for your local vault is also a bad idea, though Norton has supported that option historically. What happens if your computer gets compromised and the ID Safe file gets stolen? With no password on your local vault the hacker would then have access to your username/password for every site you are  a member of.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

AllenM wrote:

scarfy wrote:

Hi scarfy,

While I whole-heartedly agree that users should be able to store their ID Safe locally there is no way that Symantec or any other company would allow a cloud based solution to be password free. That is simply way too risky.

I would argue that having no password for your local vault is also a bad idea, though Norton has supported that option historically. What happens if your computer gets compromised and the ID Safe file gets stolen? With no password on your local vault the hacker would then have access to your username/password for every site you are  a member of.

Best wishes.

Allen

That I would agree (having a password on the local safe) but it is a traveling laptop so I don't want to bother with having to log on every reboot.  I try to keep my PC as safe as possible.

Bring back the ability to store passwords locally on the PC in Norton 2013 products | Add the ability to turn off "share" in the Norton 2013 products or remove share altogether | Malware on your PC? Keep calm wait for forum member "Quads" to respond. Do NOTHING else. See for more information. | Did you know you can upgrade your Norton products for FREE if your subscription is valid?
Kudos0

Yes.  Allow us to store Identity Safe and login information locally.  

Kudos1 Stats

I would absolutely not upgrade to a product forcing me to store my ID Safe in the cloud.  I prefer to keep my passwords accessable from my local computer only.

- I will not allow someone else to manage the security of my sensitive information, I do that perfectly well myself and trust NO ONE else with that task

- Network connectivity issues do not affect local storage, therefore as long as my computer is "on" I can access my password info.  A cloud solution cannot guarantee that.

- I like the ability to access passwords that might also be associated with local applications without having to be connected to the internet (not possible with a cloud only solution)

- I trust the physical/logical access to my local PC more than the physical/logical access to a server in the cloud.

If Symantec wants to provide an optional cloud based ID Safe to customers, I'm fine with that as long as I still have the option to only have mine locally.