• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos2 Stats

NIS 2013 IDsafe Local Vault Status.

Has the Local Vault option been revived in NIS 2013 or are we stuck with Online Vault only. I would like to upgrade but will not do so until I can have the Local Vault option.

Jim

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2013 IDsafe Local Vault Status.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Hi Jim,

If you have local vault in 19.x/lower version, you can use that local vault after upgrading to latest version.

Thanks,

Senthil.

Kudos2 Stats

So you can only have a local vault if your upgrading.

New PC and it's cloud only ?

I'm with Jim on this, it's a showstoppper.

Lets be careful out there !
Kudos1 Stats

I can NOT believe this, the local vault is STILL MISSING! (with clean install). Is not this enough:http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-2013-Norton-Internet/What-happened-to-ID-Safe-local-vault/td-p/773836  for Symantec? Symantec: put back the local vault!

Kudos4 Stats

I was too busy to do any testing with the beta release but certainly wish I had based on this problem!  It's a major problem for me and many others and I'm sure corporations wouldn't even consider this option. 

It's nice to see how little Symantec thinks of their customer input!!

Has anybody looked at alternatives?

Kudos4 Stats

senthilkumar wrote:

Hi Jim,

If you have local vault in 19.x/lower version, you can use that local vault after upgrading to latest version.

Thanks,

Senthil.

That is the most stupid idea I have ever heard. With Windows 8 comming on Oct 26 and MS offering cheap upgrades from XP but only a clean install, you loose your local vault. Anytime you need to do a clean install  you would have to install an older 19.x version, setup a local vault and then upgrade to 2013. Who fell off the turnip truck at Symantec??

Jim

Kudos0

PhoneMan wrote:

That is the most stupid idea I have ever heard. With Windows 8 comming on Oct 26 and MS offering cheap upgrades from XP but only a clean install, you loose your local vault. Anytime you need to do a clean install  you would have to install an older 19.x version, setup a local vault and then upgrade to 2013. Who fell off the turnip truck at Symantec??

Jim

I wonder if you can just copy your vault over to the new machine (or reformatted one) prior to installing NIS and still keep the local vault?  It seems like that might work without actually installing the entire older version of NIS.  If not its surly time to start looking for another supplier of Network Security software!

Kudos4 Stats

Msradell wrote:

I was too busy to do any testing with the beta release but certainly wish I had based on this problem!  It's a major problem for me and many others and I'm sure corporations wouldn't even consider this option. 

Yes. Karpersky offers a Local Vault on their product. They also sell a standalone Vault for $25. Works the same as Symantec without all this new BS.

Jim

Kudos2 Stats

PhoneMan wrote:

Msradell wrote:

Yes. Karpersky offers a Local Vault on their product. They also sell a standalone Vault for $25. Works the same as Symantec without all this new BS.

Jim

Thanks! I'll have to start looking at that, my subscription to NIS expires in February.

Kudos1 Stats

Just a note about Kaspersky  if you want to have the builtin password manager it is only in Pure Total Security 2.0 the regular Kaspery Internet Security does not have a password manager. It is available at kaspersy for usd $25.00 it is licensed from Lamantine software the developer of sticky password. Also the password manager program from Kaspersky/Sitcky password has a builtin password generator and a virtual keyboard

Kudos2 Stats

ALF60 wrote:

Just a note about Kaspersky  if you want to have the builtin password manager it is only in Pure Total Security 2.0 the regular Kaspery Internet Security does not have a password manager. It is available at kaspersy for usd $25.00 it is licensed from Lamantine software the developer of sticky password. Also the password manager program from Kaspersky/Sitcky password has a builtin password generator and a virtual keyboard

You can also save the program to USB stick and use it on another PC. When you remove the USB from the other PC it clears everything from that PC. I may have to give it a try if Norton does change its ways.

Jim

Kudos4 Stats

I have routinely upgrade to each new version of NIS since the very first version. And I've done so for the computers in my office and much of my family. But with the decision to remove the local Identity Safe in reliance upon a cloud-based system, I will not be updating NIS further and will, unfortunately, have to look for an alternate solution. The worst part of this problem is that Symantec elected to ignore the feedback from their best and most knowledgable customers who took the time to try to the beta of NIS 2013. I, like many others who expressed concern, simply am not willing to trust my passwords on a remote server. We've all read far too often (just this week, in fact) about servers being hacked and passwords being stolen. My preference, and it appears that of many others, is to keep my passwords on my local computer, not in the cloud.

Kudos3 Stats

Just gave the standalone ID Safe/Norton Toolbar a try. I was hoping it wouldn't be the same as the one in NIS 2013. Sadly to say it is the same thing that Symantec unwisely put in NIS 2013. No local vault, Facebook junk in the toolbar. This is one time I'm happy that my subscription is running out. Time for an alternate solution. NIS just doesn't cut it anymore.

Kudos0

Gave the free trial of Kaspersky a try a couple of days back. Really slowed down my system to a crawl compared to Norton 2012. (Win 7 x64). Gave Webroot SecureAnyWhere Complete a try also. Very fast but the problem is it also has an online only solution for password management. Even so I really liked it because it is fast and uses very few system resources. Trouble is when I lost access to the online vault their support was terrible. Wasn't able to get phone support, tried online support and they told me that the problem was caused by the rememnants of an older Webroot app. Never had Webroot on this machine before so that couldn't have been the problem. Tried thier forums and stated the problem and also stated that I had never had Webroot before. They gave me the same solution. Saw one solution on the forum where someone had a problem similiar to mine and they told them to go to the online password manager and reset the permissions. I tried that but was blocked from the site. As soon as it would come up it would redirect me to another site that said I needed to upgrade my software to the version I already had. Just glad I was able to get my money back from Amazon. The whole point of this long winded post is that this could happen to any online vault. While Symantec's support has improved a lot from several years ago it's stil not as good as it could be (though better than Webroot's).

Kudos0

Just saw a post where someone upgrading to the new Norton is having similiar problems to what I had with Webroot. I have to say I believe that this won't be the last time someone has this problem:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Unable-to-use-Identity-safe-help/td-p/788784

Bring back the offline vault.

Kudos0

Same problem here.  I've clear installed NIS 2013 on a my old XP pc and IDsafe local vault is disappeared. I can use only the online vault. I've upgraded from NIS 2012 to NIS 2013 anolther my WIN 7 pc and the original local vault option is still working. I hope Norton lab works around this problem. I think it is usefull to have both the options working even if somebody made a clear install of NIS 2013.

Kudos1 Stats

noghere wrote:

Same problem here.  I've clear installed NIS 2013 on a my old XP pc and IDsafe local vault is disappeared. I can use only the online vault. I've upgraded from NIS 2012 to NIS 2013 anolther my WIN 7 pc and the original local vault option is still working. I hope Norton lab works around this problem. I think it is usefull to have both the options working even if somebody made a clear install of NIS 2013.

Everyone needs to understand that Symantec does not view this as a problem.  They are saying that it is an intentional design change that everyone should unquestioningly accept.  Though repeatedly asked for an explanation, those questioning  are treated to silence.  Whether or not this design change remains a permanent change remains to be seen.  Many are complaining about it.  And I believe that as more users discover it, the tide of dislike will continue to grow...

Currently the only option for restoring a local vault (after loosing it to the online version) is by reverting from the 2013 version back to the 2012 version of your product and setting up your local vault again - hopefully you have saved local exported copy of your original vault content.

Also...

Please be aware that the .DAT file export format of 2013 is not backward compatible for use with the 2012 version - meaning if you want to export your online vault for purpose of saving it before reverting to the 2012 version, be sure to export the vault as .CSV - not .DAT, otherwise you will be unable to import it into the 2012 product.

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos0

noghere wrote:

John,

It's really strange... because reading the ID safe vault instructions you can see how to configure it. You can configure the local vault setting or the online vault setting.I think that there is something wrong.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?actstat=activated&buildname=Retail&conntype=54000000&coreservice=Startup+Type%3Aauto+State%3ARunning&cpu=Intel64+Family+6+Model+42+Stepping+7&ct=it&curdefs=20120918.025&datetime=09-19-2012+17%3A44%3A36+GMT&defbrowser=Internet+Explorer&dsfree=95.25&dstotal=158.45&endpointid=%7BB043F1A7-7BB6-42FB-BBE8-BC39FA0AA0B6%7D&entsrc=help&env=prod&hbguid=B043F1A7-7BB6-42FB-BBE8-BC39FA0AA0B6&hcmode=false&heartbeatID=B043F1A7-7BB6-42FB-BBE8-BC39FA0AA0B6&helpid=Move_IDSafe_Online_CIT&ieversion=9.0.8112.16421&layout=Retail&layouttype=ESD&lg=it&lic_attr=21124114&lic_type=16&memload=22&memtotal=6891&os=windows&oslang=iso%3AITA&oslocale=iso%3AITA&osvers=6.1&osversion=6.1+7601.17835.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030&partnerid=1000740&partnername=Retail&plang=sym%3AIT&plgid=2&plid=2&product=Norton+Internet+Security&psn=98K8RX446WY7&pvid=f-home&remdays=140&skuf=21171505&skum=21234433&skup=21199393&spversion=1.0&sublength=143&subremaining=140&substatus=current&symskucurrent=21199393&symskumedia=21234433&utm_medium=product&utm_source=symc&vendorid=1000740&version=20.1.1.2&docid=v54500320_NIS_Retail_2013_it_it

Yet another Symantec support webpage that doesn't (yet) correctly match the actual 2013 (shipped) product...

Kudos2 Stats

There is no longer an option to set up a local vault.  I upgraded one computer and it retained my local vault. :-))  Updated another and it was gone.  That computer has now placed all my login information in folders! :-((  I don't want the #@$$#! folders and can't figure out how to get rid of them!!  After all the trouble last year with filling in appropriate spaces everything was fixed and working just fine.  Now some Einstein has to mess with something that wasn't broken and made another mess.  Give us the local vault and enable us to configure the thing the way we want  it!!  Please!!

Kudos0

avjohnnie wrote:

Yet another Symantec support webpage that doesn't (yet) correctly match the actual 2013 (shipped) product...

I think that it's simply a NIS 2013 bug...

Kudos0

noghere wrote:

avjohnnie wrote:

If it's a bug I wish they would admit it!

Kudos2 Stats

EssaTD2 wrote:

There is no longer an option to set up a local vault.  I upgraded one computer and it retained my local vault. :-))  Updated another and it was gone.  That computer has now placed all my login information in folders! :-((  I don't want the #@$$#! folders and can't figure out how to get rid of them!!  After all the trouble last year with filling in appropriate spaces everything was fixed and working just fine.  Now some Einstein has to mess with something that wasn't broken and made another mess.  Give us the local vault and enable us to configure the thing the way we want  it!!  Please!!

I can't help you with the online vault complaint, only Symantec can do that...

But I might be able to help you a little with the logins being automatically placed in folders issue.  If you go into settings (from the main GUI), under "Identity  Safe", "Browsing Options" and deselect "Autocategorize Logins", it should stop it from putting your logins into folders...

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos1 Stats

noghere wrote:

avjohnnie wrote:

To that regard I'll refer you to the relevant message thread on that subject located in (the now closed) beta test forum area...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-2013-Norton-Internet/What-happened-to-ID-Safe-local-vault/td-p/773836

Please locate and carefully read Tim Lopez's post (of 08-02-2012 10:38 AM) at the bottom of the first page of postings.

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos0

avjohnnie wrote:

To that regard I'll refer you to the relevant message thread on that subject located in (the now closed) beta test forum area...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-2013-Norton-Internet/What-happened-to-ID-Safe-local-vault/td-p/773836

Please locate and carefully read Tim Lopez's post (of 08-02-2012 10:38 AM) at the bottom of the first page of postings.

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos0

Thank you John!! That fixed that problem.

Kudos0

EssaTD2 wrote:

Thank you John!! That fixed that problem.

Happy to help.  And thanks for posting back to let us know.  

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos0

I hope the local vault option is returned to NIS.  I do not like my passwords stored in a cloud.

Kudos0

Is there any news from Symantec on Enabling this feature as so many users have requested yet??

Kudos0

Greystone wrote:

Is there any news from Symantec on Enabling this feature as so many users have requested yet??

No!

And still the silence is deafening.

I have asked Symantec to explain why they removed the local ID Safe and why we can't disable the share button,  but Symantec have not replied.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Symantec-Please-Explain/td-p/808728

Dave

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos1 Stats

This was first posted on Aug 01 during Beta testing and 2 Months later still no reply from Symantec. Oh wait they did reply by ignoring us, so the answer is no you won't get the Local vault back so live with it.

Jim

Kudos1 Stats

PhoneMan wrote:

This was first posted on Aug 01 during Beta testing and 2 Months later still no reply from Symantec. Oh wait they did reply by ignoring us, so the answer is no you won't get the Local vault back so live with it.

Jim

Or live without it (and them) by looking elsewhere for different software!  Something I'm sure many, including myself will be doing.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.