• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos14 Stats

Symantec, Please Explain

I would like to hear from Symantec why they chose to remove the local ID Safe.

In Beta testing Tim_Lopez posted this  -

All,

The plan at this point is to have the local vault be removed from the product and have the online vault be the only option. 

If you would like to voice your concern about this, please do so in this thread and let us know why you disagree with this decision. We value your feedback so please give us detailed feedback as to why you prefer local vaults if this change is undesired on your part. 

Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360-2013-Norton-Internet/What-happened-to-ID-Safe-local-vault/m-p/774634/highlight/true#M2755 We were told that Symantec "valued' our feedback.  It was and is obvious that the majority of people are in favour of keeping the local ID Safe. Please return it permanently in the 2013 and above products,  or at the very least,  please explain why this decision was made. I would also like to hear Symantec's take on the controversial "Share" button and why we can't disable it. Eagerly waiting a reply, Thank you.Dave
A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.

Replies

Kudos3 Stats

Re: Symantec, Please Explain

Thanks for the link SendOfJive.

I can't except that as the solution though,  because there is no mention of why the local vault was removed,  or why we can't disable the 'Share' button.

Dave

Kudos7 Stats

I also don't understand why Symantec doesn't listen us on these two features (local vault, share button).

Also, I read the blog post, but it does NOT mention WHY is not an option to disable the share button, and WHY Symantec doesn't want to reinstate the local vault! Symantec can see in the Norton forums that MANY users complain about these two disadvantages:

Symantec must reinstate the local vault in idsafe and add an option to disable the share button in the next product update for Norton 2013 products.

Kudos9 Stats

The problem is, that the symantec folks do not want to hear what the testers and users are telling.

Also they give no comment to the poor decisions they have made at the green table.

Cheers, Jo Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Kudos2 Stats

SendOfJive wrote:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Protection-Blog/What-are-the-changes-to-the-Norton-Toolbar/ba-p/808740

Thanks for the link!

I also posted a comment there...

It seems that we are stuck, and regardless of what we desire, Big Brother Symantec "Knows Best" what we poor "ignorant" children must be forced to do.  So, all you "ignorant" children, have you found and decided on your alternative solution yet?

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos2 Stats

"ignorant" child Jo has "found" RoboForm2Go as his possible new pwd manager.

No new AV found 'til now, because my favourite german AV ( for which I'm doing beta tests these days ... ) uses the Ask-Toolbar

My NIS license expires in 80 days - only time will tell us what to do?

Cheers, Jo Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Kudos2 Stats

mp3jo wrote:

- only time will tell us what to do?

Keep NIS ( or NAV which doesn't have the IS anyway) and use your own choice of vault. ..... ?

Hugh
Kudos4 Stats

It has become painfully obvious that Symantec is no longer the same class of operation that once was the "Flagship Company" captained by men the caliber of Gordon Eubanks and others like Peter Norton...

So after some 25 or 30 years of using Norton and Symantec products, tomorrow "this ignorant child" I will return all of the newly purchased copies of NIS2012 to the vender from whence they came and will replace them with newly purchased copies of  Kaspersky PURE 2.0.

NIS was the last Symantec product remaining of all those that my company has used over these many years - we had already stopped using Ghost (formerly of Binary Research then later PowerQuest) for the much superior Acronis True Image.  So too we've ceased using pcAnywhere (formerly a product of Dynamic Microprocessor Associates) for the vastly superior TeamViewer.

So now this too has come to pass... Inevitable I suppose...  And so very sad indeed it is...

Next Monday we will issue a bulletin informing our entire client base of our decision to switch security software companies.

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos11 Stats

Facebook is a train wreck - its business model is to sell user's information.

Any time a user "like"s something that data is warehoused and subsequently sold.

If Symantec is interested in user's privacy it should not be doing business with Facebook.

I do not want *my* NIS to be integrated with Facebook in any way.

Kudos7 Stats

avjohnnie, Tim Lopez:

Moving the ID Safe to the cloud was a really stupid idea.

Think of a user who has NIS with 3 installs.

Example: me, my wife, my daughter.

My computer's ID Safe has banking/credit card info, assorted email logins, LinkedIn and Twitter login info, etc.

Other family computers have social networking login info and other passwords for Tumblr, YouTube, gmail.

Having one 'master' ID Safe in the cloud for three distinct installs violates the privacy for all three installs.

You have effectively killed the product.

If not remedied, I will tell everyone to install inexpensive 1-install NAV (last year's version, student pricing) along with the stand-alone ID Safe toolbar which was available.

Kudos1 Stats

JonBartels wrote:

Facebook is a train wreck - its business model is to sell user's information.

Any time a user "like"s something that data is warehoused and subsequently sold.

If Symantec is interested in user's privacy it should not be doing business with Facebook.

I do not want *my* NIS to be integrated with Facebook in any way.

The problem is Jon,  It's not just Facebook.  Please see elsewhere's post here  -  http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Facebook-Share-on-Norton-NIS2013-Toolbar/m-p/798294/highlight/true#M3341

Dave

Kudos4 Stats

Also, the blog post says this: " Now that the latest version of Norton Internet Security and Norton 360 are released, you may have noticed some improvements to the Norton Toolbar - the Share button and the Online Vault. " For me these are configurability setbacks and not improvements.

Kudos1 Stats

One more thing: Even in Windows 8, Microsoft allows to create an online and local/offline account for those who don't want to use the windows store on the ugly metro/modern UI or who don't want to use any other cloud services.

Kudos1 Stats

norton vault u did norton i upgraded not i need a password for vault anf 1 upper lower i like the older version better i think this is it for me norton can   kiss my **bleep** 

Kudos1 Stats

Kudos7 Stats

These are all reasons many of us have chosen to stick with our 2012 Norton products, at least for now. It may not seem like a big deal for some, but there are countless users, including those who don't frequent these forums, who dislike facebook to the living end.

Why on Earth on a security product of all places to be. We know of the security aspect of the facebook feature for those wanting to share. I have asked before and will ask again.

Symantec, will you institute a setting, for those who don't like, have a use for, or will ever use facebook, to disable it from view in a near future update?

Returning local Identity Safe goes without saying. We know we can retain it by doing an upgrade.

Ed

Kudos4 Stats

I am one of the countless users who is aware of the forum, but never bothered to register and post - until now.  I am currently using NIS 2012, after recently using NIS 2013 and was not happy with the identity safe no longer available as a local version, unless users update rather than clean installing 2013.

Also the facebook feature mentioned is something I do not like.

I used to have many problems with the "old Norton", before around 2006. But then Norton improved drastically each year and I have been happy using NIS. Until the 2013 version! I will watch the forum for announcements of product updates, fixes, etc, and what happens with identity safe, etc and then probably give the 2013 version another look at. If there are still major problems in a few months or so, I may switch to another vendor (rather than keep using NIS 2012).

Also, does anyone know whether Symantec will be allowing AV testing from "AV-Comparatives" and other similar groups in 2013? They had excluded themselves from testing in 2012. See below link:

http://forum.av-comparatives.org/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=1060&s=4465a91a367ebd7504554a768bd890c23962c536

Kudos2 Stats

Another reason I'm sticking to the tried and tested 2012 version. HOWEVER, if Symantec doesn't get it's act together and listen to it's subscribers, I'm gone. Are you out there, Tim Lopez ?

Windows 10 Home X64 Norton Security Premium---Current
Kudos1 Stats

im not gone from norton itself but im donw with the idenity safe i just bought  a subscription to roboform no issues no telling me u need to creat a symbell with a password

Kudos1 Stats

I agree! It most unsatisfactory that Symantec have not only ignored the views of testers, they have not even had the courtesy to reply to this and other similar posts!

DerekJJ

Kudos0

gillmore2011 wrote:

im not gone from norton itself but im donw with the idenity safe i just bought  a subscription to roboform no issues no telling me u need to creat a symbell with a password

Seems to me to be the sensible way to go -- I still trust Norton on security and I'm used to the way it works, to these forums, so if I used the Identity Safe I would not throw out the bath water just because I don't like the baby! <s>

Hugh
Kudos0

I'm still a newbie with Identity Safe, so maybe I haven't used it long enough to discover all the flaws. There are things that I don't like about it, but so far the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, for me at least.

Like most posters here, I don't particularly care for any apps that are 'socialized' via Facebook,. Twitter, etc. Especially, a Security product. Having said that, I think I understand the concept of companies leveraging the Social media for marketing purposes. It is a free product, after all, so I'm not going to complain about it too much.

Like others here, I vote for at least including the option to disable/remove the Facebook sharing button in future versions.

The Facebook share button is at least a bit more subtle than some other heavily 'socialized', free products like my1login and dashlane. I kind if like Dashlane, but it's way to social for me. Requiring users to earn points by sharing/liking in order to enable more features of the product. Yuck.

I like Identity Safe a bit better than LastPass because the Android app is free, whereas, the LastPass android app is only available with a paid premium subscription. Also, LastPass has a bunch of ads on theire Logins page, while Norton Identity Safe is ad-free so far. (Hope it stays that way).

I'm not a big fan of ask search engine either, but if Norton wants to make that the default search engine and I can't change it, I guess that's ok with me. I will also vote for the option to change the search engine to another one of my choosing besides ask, but, it's not a showstopper for me, if they don't give me that option. Again, it's a free product. Beggars can't be choosers.

My main requirement for an online password manager is that the product must be stable, reliable, dependable and secure in order for me to use it and stick with it (and free!).

Identity Safe seemed to be having server issues earlier in the week like unable to sync Logins, unable to unlock Vault with my password, etc. That appears to have been fixed, but if I start having consistent problems with it again, I will look elsewhere for a free online password manager.

Thanks,

-wheatshockerWin7x64, IE10
Kudos1 Stats

wheatshocker wrote:

I'm not a big fan of ask search engine either, but if Norton wants to make that the default search engine and I can't change it, I guess that's ok with me. I will also vote for the option to change the search engine to another one of my choosing besides ask, but, it's not a showstopper for me, if they don't give me that option. Again, it's a free product. Beggars can't be choosers.

Ask is the search engine provider for the Norton Safe Search feature - which adds some functionality, such as the option to filter dangerous sites out of your search results.  Norton Safe Search is entirely optional and can be disabled.  If your browser's search engine has been changed to Ask by Norton, you can restore your own preferred search engine by using the browser's normal search engine selection method - you do not have to use Norton Safe Search, nor do you have to use Ask as your browser's default.

Kudos11 Stats

Norton has been making some heavy-handed and not well-thought-out decisions with the upgrade from NIS 2012 to NIS 2013.

----

•  does not play well with Chrome

•  no longer stores ID Safe locally

•  safe search defaults to "Ask.com"

•  toolbar includes Facebook integration

to name a few

---

The user should not be tasked with disabling some features, ignoring some others, and outsmarting the product.

It is becoming a chore.

No Joy.

Kudos1 Stats

As best I can tell at this point, the current 2013 production releases are essentially renumbered variants of the last beta releases.  All of the 2013 production releases appear to contain all of the same bugs and issues that were being reported by the beta testers at least a month ago - plus some seemingly new issues now being reported (which I presume were actually there before, but had not yet been discovered during the public beta evaluation cycles).

Regards,

John

Kudos1 Stats

norton needs to fix this with another update im almost went insane when trying to figure out a password required by nortan   idenity safe   newbies if you need a password manager theres lastpass shoot me a email ill help u use it

Kudos2 Stats

Will Symantec give us the ability to disable the 'Share' button?

Will Symantec return the Local Identity Safe with a clean installation of 2013 products and beyond?

Kudos0

i aggree should be a option for the customer to be able to disable it as with idenity safe   im using roboforn      last few years idenity safe password  u would be able to create any password you choose not with norton decides  what password you must choose theres also lastpass free download for user that want a free  password manager  i still will continue with norton security suite   tther the best  compared to other cecurity suites. good site ig anyone interested is pcworld.com for reviews  have a good day folks.

Kudos1 Stats

Symantec, when are you going to speak about these usability/configurability setbacks?

Kudos1 Stats

I get it - no answer is no!

I am most disappointed with the lack of response from Symantec on this.

Symantec will understand then,  when they receive the same response from me when my subscription is due for renewal.

Bitterly disappointed,

Dave

Accepted Solution
Kudos16 Stats

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We would like to assure you that customer satisfaction is our top priority and any changes in the product reflects that principle. We have been paying close attention to your comments and would like to share our thoughts and plans for the two features that you have been posting about the most.

Share via Email or Social Networks

This feature was introduced to enable users to leverage SafeWeb technology to scan a URL before posting to social networks. The main goal is to facilitate safe URL sharing and to prevent users from passing-on malicious content. We understand that many of you never post to social networks and would like to make Share a configurable feature. If you don’t use Share, you’ll soon be able to hide it.  :-)

Local vs. Online Vaults

We believe that online-only vaults enrich and simplify the overall user experience. We found during our initial product research that ordinary users were confused by the local vs. online distinction. They were consciously selecting the local option, but didn’t understand why they couldn’t access their vault data from Symantec's mobile applications. With online vaults data is available even while offline. Early adopters of the online vault have expressed appreciation for the added convenience and are quite happy with the overall experience. This has solved the important task of making users data available anytime, anywhere. 

We understand your concerns, but wouldn’t be asking that you join us in adopting this change if we didn’t think it was the most secure way to store and synchronize your data across computers and applications. I'm sorry for those of you who aren’t yet ready to make this change. We will continue to support local vaults for existing users but not for new ones.

We value your thoughtful and continuous input because it keeps us on our toes and makes us re-think and challenge our designs and plans.  Many thanks from all of us and please keep the feedback coming!

Kudos1 Stats

Thank you Alejandrita.

Great news that we will soon be able hide the Share feature.  This will go down well with many of us.

Pity about the Local Vault,  but at least Symantec are committed to supporting it for us that still use it.

Cheers,

Dave

Kudos7 Stats

Hi Alejandrita,

Thanks for this update. Might I ask that this information be added to the BLOG entry as well, specifcally regarding removal of the LOCAL vault? It is great that it is here and that a link to this thread is included as a BLOG comment but many times users will not notice that you added a comment with a link to additional details in another thread. If it is not included in the BLOG many users will miss it altogether.

I don't know why the local vs. online vault simply could not simply have been explained or documented in such a way as to remove the confusion of the user population, instead of removing it.

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos4 Stats

I'm glad to see that we will be able to get rid of the share button but I'm extremely disappointed about the vault situation!

Having the vault online makes things extremely difficult for me because I have a disability and can only utilize the computer using voice recognition.  Using the online vault I have to login twice instead of onetime to use it.  I only use one PC so synchronizing across platforms is totally useless for me.  I really don't understand the problem with leaving both options available for users!

Kudos1 Stats

Msradell,

Thanks for using our product. You should not have to login twice for the cloud vault. It works the same as with the local vault. The only time you need to login twice is if you are logged out of Norton Account. If you are logged into to NA then you should only have to login to the vault (online or local) once.  Can you clarify the steps where you see two logins required?

Kudos4 Stats

AllenM wrote:

Hi Alejandrita,

I don't know why the local vs. online vault simply could not simply have been explained or documented in such a way as to remove the confusion of the user population, instead of removing it.

Best wishes.

Allen

That is a great question Allen.

If the code still exists with an upgrade,  why not still give users the choice of Local or Online,  or both with a fresh installation?

Thanks,

Dave

Kudos1 Stats

Once again while we have Norton looking at this thread -  I must ask what is going to happen with Norton Security Suite? 

Never has had an online vault ( no Norton Account as part of the program), thus also no capability of synching log ins with android or other mobile devices, not to mention other PC's/MAC's . 

Seems if things remain the same -  Local Vault support must continue to have it remain in NSS when it is updated to version 20.

Kudos10 Stats

Alejandrita

Thanks for the update.

I will respectfully disagree with the choice to eliminate the local vault. We have seen server outages and I'm sure there can/will be more in the future. How do we access our logins?

There is still the security issue. When the bad guys realize all this information is stored in one place, it will be a target/challenge for them to hack.

As I type this, I am unable to log into my Norton Account from the Identity Safe Vault login window.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos5 Stats

Thank you Alejandrita,

It's great to know that there will soon be an option to disable the share button.

Alejandrita wrote:

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We would like to assure you that customer satisfaction is our top priority and any changes in the product reflects that principle. We have been paying close attention to your comments and would like to share our thoughts and plans for the two features that you have been posting about the most.

[...]

Local vs. Online Vaults

We believe that online-only vaults enrich and simplify the overall user experience. We found during our initial product research that ordinary users were confused by the local vs. online distinction. They were consciously selecting the local option, but didn’t understand why they couldn’t access their vault data from Symantec's mobile applications. With online vaults data is available even while offline. Early adopters of the online vault have expressed appreciation for the added convenience and are quite happy with the overall experience. This has solved the important task of making users data available anytime, anywhere. 

We understand your concerns, but wouldn’t be asking that you join us in adopting this change if we didn’t think it was the most secure way to store and synchronize your data across computers and applications. I'm sorry for those of you who aren’t yet ready to make this change. We will continue to support local vaults for existing users but not for new ones.

We value your thoughtful and continuous input because it keeps us on our toes and makes us re-think and challenge our designs and plans.  Many thanks from all of us and please keep the feedback coming!

Regarding the Local / Online vault. I really don't understand this decision. Even in Windows 8, Microsoft still allows you to create a "local/offline" account if you don't want to use the cloud features.

I agree with AllenM: If there is a confusion from the users part, then it should be documented when the user creates a vault at the first time. For example:

Local vault: The login datas stored on your computer, but you cannot access it from any other devices.

Online vault: The login datas stored on Symantec's servers, not on your computer. You can access it from any device which can connect to the internet.

And what about if someone has to do a clean install of NIS or have to reinstall the OS? First you will have to install NIS2012 and create a local vault then upgrade to NIS2013? And when NIS2015 will be released? First you will have to reinstall the 2012 version then upgrade to the 2015 version? It's not a good idea in my opinion, because upgrade installs may / can cause problems.

Please re-consider.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I agree with tbalin444444 and peterweb. Symantec think again!

DerekJJ

Kudos10 Stats

An online vault is only of use to those who access the web via various means, if you've only 1 machine then it's useless, I'd much prefer to be able to choose which to have - which would be a local vault.

While I hope I'm wrong I suspect that we'll only get the local identity safe back if & when someone hacks into several online vaults or security is compromised another way.

Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos4 Stats

yank wrote:

Once again while we have Norton looking at this thread -  I must ask what is going to happen with Norton Security Suite? 

Never has had an online vault ( no Norton Account as part of the program), thus also no capability of synching log ins with android or other mobile devices, not to mention other PC's/MAC's . 

Seems if things remain the same -  Local Vault support must continue to have it remain in NSS when it is updated to version 20.

... And if the Local Vault is continued in NSS shouldn't it also be continued for the paying customers?

Kudos9 Stats

It's good news to know we'll be able to remove the facebook feature. Thank you on that.

The local vs. online vault is serious business. Some of us are not as mobile as others and having, let alone using mobile devices while in a coffee shop somewhere is useless to many of us. That's because we're not going to be in said coffee shop because of medical issues, disorders, etc. using non-existent mobile devices, because for many of us they are useless to have.

At home with one machine, I shouldn't have to use an online vault to access my logins. I would never trust my information spread around on servers. We know we can retain local Identity Safe with an upgrade, but how long is that going to last. I like to upgrade to the new version each year. This is the first time I'm not.

Respectfully, reconsider restoring the local option for Identity Safe logins.

Ed

Kudos7 Stats

Thank you for the response on this. I'm very happy that we seem to have made progress on the "Share" feature, but I join with the others in asking Symantec to reevaluate the decision on the Local vs. Online Vault.

As I have maintained from the start, the Local Vault is a deciding factor for many users, and giving the OPTION for your customers to make their own decisions and choices for the storage of their sensitive personal information seems the only appropriate thing to do. As noted above, a simple dialog box explaining the differences between the two types of Vaults should take care of any confusion. That's all any of us are asking for: a choice between the two options. Not only for existing customers, but for new ones as well.

Please reconsider.

Windows 7 SP1 32bit - NSBU - 22.1.0.9
Kudos0

Alejandrita wrote:

Share via Email or Social Networks

We understand that many of you never post to social networks and would like to make Share a configurable feature. If you don’t use Share, you’ll soon be able to hide it.  :-)

Thanks for the reply Alejandrita.

Question: What is the projection as to when this option will become available?

Having now agreed to create the ability for users to opt out of the Share function I think it imperative that Symantic displays good faith to its customers by delivering the option as soon as possible.

Kudos3 Stats

Thanks for using our product roosterfish. We are committed to adding the ability to disable the Share feature in a future release.

We are currently wrapping up an update the product which will be available soon and it will not be in that release unfortunately. We will be discussing what goes into the following release shortly.

Stay in touch and feel free to ping for a status update any time.

dconn

Kudos3 Stats

"Early adopters of the online vault have expressed appreciation for the added convenience and are quite happy with the overall experience. This has solved the important task of making users data available anytime, anywhere. "

I am sorry but I know thousands of Norton users and have yet to find one that's happy with the online vault.

I think users should have options where they data is stored.

I do not believed anyone can keep my data safer than myself. If there is a lock there must be a key.

Many institutions have very good security encryption (256 bits) but still get hacked and their data stolen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------CM Storm Scout - GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 - Intel Core i5 2500K - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz - GIGABYTE HD 5850 765MHz/4000MHz - Corsair P128 SSD - Seagate 1TB HDD - BenQ 20.1 LCD - Windows 7 Ultimate.
Kudos5 Stats

I have been a Norton user for many years (since Windows 3.1 and ms-dos). I stopped using Norton about version 2006 or 2007 (can't remember which) due to stablity problems and the fact that at that time it had become a resource hog. I gave Norton another try for the NIS 2009 release, which fixed many of the stability and resource problems. NIS continued to improve till Norton 2013 (which is a huge disappointment). I will keep NIS on my system but NIS 2012 will be the last version that I will buy. While I applaud adding the option to "hide" the facebook option (will this actually disable the feature or just hide it and leave it running in the background). The lack of an offline vault is a killer for me. While I can keep my current offline vault if I do an upgrade installion from NIS 2012 what happens if I have to replace a hard drive and am forced to do a clean install of Norton. It's happened before and will happen again. If for some reason I am forced to do a clean install I lose my offline vault and am forced to use the online only vault. For this reason I will stick with NIS 2012 until I find a more viable solution.

Kudos5 Stats

Alejandrita wrote:

Local vs. Online Vaults

Many thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it seems that it is now time to leave Norton for a different product.  For the time being I will stay on NIS2012 until my subscription runs out.  If nothing has changed by then, it is unlikely that I will be renewing my subscription.

Please reinstate the option of a Local Safe.

Kudos1 Stats

Regarding that Share button, what's the big deal? Aren't you one of the billion people that uses social networks or one of those email clients? Why does it upset yo uso much? Why does it upset you at all?? Jst ignore the thing if you don't like it. it's not such a big deal buddy. i personally don't use either, but my boyfriend finds it very convenient. He just LUVs it. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.