• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2013 problems

I upgraded to 2013 on a machine where 2012 had some problems hoping that the new version would have fixed them but actually I think I am having even more problems...

For starters it took a VERY long time for the update in the saving your settings phase compared to a second machine I did the update where it only took a minute or so.

Then there were several error messages but reboots fixed those.

Then there ware a lot of permission requests for this or the other program to access the web that I have never seen with other versions.

LU never completed as the Web Protection ones (two) always fail to install. Others most of the times do sometimes they fail some other when tried again do.

I did run the fix option but did not find anything wrong.

The icon in the tray disappers often but a manual LU run bring is back I suspect it disappers when it runs and automatic LU and fails.

The apply updates at reboot option does not stay set.

Random errors are reported and one needs to reboot to get rid of them.

Sometimes all LU updates fail, 3 red crosses does not even process.

Overall looks like a pretty bad deal to me.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2013 problems

I upgraded to 2013 on a machine where 2012 had some problems hoping that the new version would have fixed them but actually I think I am having even more problems...

For starters it took a VERY long time for the update in the saving your settings phase compared to a second machine I did the update where it only took a minute or so.

Then there were several error messages but reboots fixed those.

Then there ware a lot of permission requests for this or the other program to access the web that I have never seen with other versions.

LU never completed as the Web Protection ones (two) always fail to install. Others most of the times do sometimes they fail some other when tried again do.

I did run the fix option but did not find anything wrong.

The icon in the tray disappers often but a manual LU run bring is back I suspect it disappers when it runs and automatic LU and fails.

The apply updates at reboot option does not stay set.

Random errors are reported and one needs to reboot to get rid of them.

Sometimes all LU updates fail, 3 red crosses does not even process.

Overall looks like a pretty bad deal to me.

Kudos0

Sorry to hear of all the issues you seem to have with your installation.

As you did not detail the errors, it is hard to tell exactly what your problems are.

Because of all your issues, I would suggest reinstalling your NIS.

Start by backing up/exporting your identity safe data if you use that feature.

Use the Windows control panel, and Programs, or Add/Remove Programs to uninstall NIS 2013.

Reboot.

Log into your Norton Account at   www.account.norton.com   and click on the Download button beside your current subscription. This will download and install a preactivated copy of your NIS.

Be sure to run LiveUpdate manually a few times,  until no updates are available.

Import your Identity Safe data.

If this does not help, we will look at possible Windows or hardware issues.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

thank you I know you meant well but I am not doing any of this.

Umpteen re-installs of 2012 never fixed the problems. So not gonna start with 2013.

If Symantec cannnot fix these problems I am simply going to uninstall Norton and switch to another product.

As simple as that.

Kudos0

aydin1954 wrote:

thank you I know you meant well but I am not doing any of this.

Umpteen re-installs of 2012 never fixed the problems. So not gonna start with 2013.

If Symantec cannnot fix these problems I am simply going to uninstall Norton and switch to another product.

As simple as that.

OK, you did not mention the previous reinstalls.

If things seem to be taking a long time or not working at all, there may be an issue with your hard drive.

To check your hard disk, click on the Windows Start button. In the search box type CMD. Right click on cmd.exe and click on run as administrator. In the command prompt type "chkdsk c: /r"  without the quotes. A message will come up asking if you want to check the disk on the next restart. Answer 'Y'. Reboot and the check disk will run before Windows starts up. This check will check the file system as well as the physical disk surface. This scan can take a long time, depending on the size of your hard drive.

Let us know if there are  any issues from the scan.

Kudos0

been there done that not the problem. Incidentally is a SSD so not likely to develop a surface problem....

NIS is the problem.

Kudos0

aydin1954 wrote:

been there done that not the problem. Incidentally is a SSD so not likely to develop a surface problem....

NIS is the problem.

Well, I'm not doing well so far  

Can you post some screenshots of the errors? That may give us a better handle on the issue.

Instructions to post screenshots can be found here
http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/m-p/254415#U254415

Kudos0

OK here is the NIS 2013 LU problem:

and when you hit view summary:

Those two fail all the time now with NIS 2013 was not the case with 2012. All others when you run it manually do work.

And I suspect that when NIS runs an automatic LU and fails on those two the tray icon of NIS disappears. If you run LU manually then it comes back.

So two things that Symantec needs fixing.

1. The tray icon disappearing (but I read it likes to do this on other occasions as well) when the automatic LU fails. Unless this is a feature to indicate you something went wrong....

2. The two web stuff updates failing to update 100% of the time. For this Symantec needs to release some fix utility of fix it through the web fix utility. I AM NOT GOING TO TRY A RE-INATALL.

----------- Different problem:

Since I have 2013 I keep getting these screens (a lot at the beginning less now that most programs got manual permission). And is strange as it should have taken the settings from 2012.

-------------------------------

So far did not se any of the other errors coming up so they could have been fixed one way or another by now.

Kudos0

The live updates are working OK now?

What operating system and service pack are you using on the problem computer?

Kudos0

no they are not as said two of them consistently fail all the time (see screen shot you requested). Looks like that for some reason cannot write those two updates in its database.

is not the OS as I have it on another one with the exact same OS and on that one works.... In any event Win 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit

I keep saying is something in NIS that is borked and needs a fix from Symantec. Do not know why they cannot have an util that checks for problems, finds them and FIXES them.

Or is something on this computer but difficult to say what it could be albeit I have similiar config and stuff running on  this one. And yes I did try the LU whil nothing else except the many processes were running.

Kudos0

aydin1954 wrote:

is not the OS as I have it on another one with the exact same OS and on that one works.... In any event Win 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit

Or is something on this computer but difficult to say what it could be albeit I have similiar config and stuff running on  this one. And yes I did try the LU whil nothing else except the many processes were running.

You say it works on another system that has a " similar" config. It would indicate an issue with this specific computer.

You will need to identify what is different and try to see if it is a driver or hardware issue. Ie different video card or driver???

***just my 2 cents***

This is another example of what amazes me about Windows computers and software. With millions of combinations of hardware and software, it is amazing anything works.

Kudos0

***just my 2 cents***

This is another example of what amazes me about Windows computers and software. With millions of combinations of hardware and software, it is amazing anything works.

--> Right on I fully agree and have seen plenty of unexplainable funky problems to vouch for this.

And I do not think is hardware or driver related. My bet goes on whatever database/register NIS uses, something is probably corrupted or damaged on this computer and prevents NIS from writing those two updates.

But since all other updates work fine (well yes you do have to do it manually but doing it once every couple of days is not too bad) I can live with this until Symantec corrects this problem.

AGAIN SYMANTEC SHOULD HAVE AN UTIL TO FIX THIS KIND OF THINGS.

and I say let us leave it at this no more. Thanks.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.