• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

All Users: Please post here if you are NOT able to log into your online ID Safe vault

Hi Everyone,

This was split off from another thread.

For anyone using either 2013 only or a mix of 2013 and 2012 on different computers AND are unable to log into their online vault, please post your information in this thread.

I am attempting to track these issues so that I can work with Symantec on trying to get these issues resolved so it really helps in this case if everyone is on a single thread.

Please post all relevant details of the issue you are having along with answering the following questions:

1. If you are using NIS 2013 (version 20.xx) or NIS 2012 (version 19.xx).
  2. Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013?
  3. When you last initialized the online vault was this done from 2012 or 2013?
  4. When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself? And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials?
  5. Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal? https://identitysafe.norton.com

For ANY other problem with ID Safe, please start a NEW thread as per the normal process.

Thanks much

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32

Replies

Kudos0

Re: All Users: Please post here if you are NOT able to log into your online ID Safe vault

Hi Everyone,

This was split off from another thread.

For anyone using either 2013 only or a mix of 2013 and 2012 on different computers AND are unable to log into their online vault, please post your information in this thread.

I am attempting to track these issues so that I can work with Symantec on trying to get these issues resolved so it really helps in this case if everyone is on a single thread.

Please post all relevant details of the issue you are having along with answering the following questions:

2. Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013?
  4. When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself? And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials?
  5. Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal? https://identitysafe.norton.com

For ANY other problem with ID Safe, please start a NEW thread as per the normal process.

Thanks much

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Re: All Users: Please post here if you are NOT able to log into your online ID Safe vault

2 computers, both running windows 7 pro

1) version 20.xx on both machines

2) yes, both version 20.xx

3) yesterday so I assume that is both version 20.xx

4) Norton account loging fails and comes back error saying the stuff I enter was not correct and I should check it

5) The link you provided results in the same pop-up screen to log into nortonaccount with the same error. I am however able to log into my nortonaccount (https://account.norton.com/amsweb/myAccountsHome.do) and from there on I am able to log into my online safe (https://identitysafe.norton.com/home)

Hope this helps because not having passwords available sucks

Greetings

Erik Menzel

Kudos0

Norton 360 installed on three PC's running up to date windows XP Pro

1. Norton 360 Version 20.1.1.2.
  2. Have three pc's with all the same version and none can open the vault after recent update
  3. Last initialised with previous version of 360. Not sure which that is as I did not record the version and dont want to uninstall
  4.  I get the message "opening" when I am logged in my Norton account. No other info and cannot terminate the process,  unless I close it either using task manager or shutting down my pc
  5. Cannot log into the online vault through the WEB portal.
Kudos1 Stats

Further to this problem: I noticed when closing my PC a process would stop responding preventing it to shut down.

Using Process explorer I think I found the process locking up (see image)

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

Hi Erik and RazorbackHog,

Thanks very much for the information. I'll be sure this gets to Symantec.

Best wishes.

Allen

Kudos0

Q1) If you are using NIS 2013 (version 20.xx) or NIS 2012 (version 19.xx).

A) I upgraded one of three PCs I have to NIS 20.x and that PC could not log onto my online vault anymore. The other two PCs (running NIS 2012) had no problem either before or after the first one was upgraded.

Q2) Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013?

A) See answer to # 1

Q3) When you last initialized the online vault was this done from 2012 or 2013?

A) I think NIS 2012, but it may have been in NIS 2011

Q4) When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself? And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials?

A) I can't login to my Norton Account. Error window says "invalid credentials"

Q5) Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal? https://identitysafe.norton.com

A) I never tried. As I mentioned both PCs still running NIS 2012 still had access to the Online Vault with no problems.
I have since uninstalled NIS 20.x from the one PC I updated and returned it to NIS 2012. I have also turned off the option in NIS for auto download of the upgrade on all three PCs until Symantec fixes this and some other problems with the new version of NIS:
See the thread I started here: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/I-don-t-remember-volunteering-to-be-a-Beta-Tester/m-p/828706#M220968
Kudos0

I'm also unable to access my Norton account/ID safe/Vault/Whatever they want to name it.

Both pc's run on Windows Vista Home Edition, fully updated.

At first one of the pc's kept telling me there was soemthing wrong with my credentials, which seemd odd to me as I was sure about the login and password.

I wanted to check on the other pc, but that kept telling me there's a problem with my network connection (??)

I can not acces the Vault

I can not login to Norton Account online

I have no idea which Norton version I use, as everything I try to open that's related to Norton, seems to give another error.. :(

I was using NIS 2012, and updated both my pc's the last 2-3 days.

Already tried to reboot them both, tried to reset the modem and router, no results.

HELP !! I Need to login in several websites and ALL my logins are saved into my login assistant.

I DON'T want to try and use the removal tool and reinstall, since I have no idea how to backup my ID info and logins, and a few important ones I just can't remember, so I don't want to loose them !

Kudos0

ErikM,

Have you tried going to https://identitysafe.norton.com and logging into your online vault there? I don't see any way to export the file from there, but you can look at the various logins/passwords and use the old fashion method of writing them on a piece of paper (or a text file on your PC ) until Symantec resolves this problem.

Have you contacted tech support yet? They should be able to take you back to NIS 2012 without a lot of trouble. As far as your info stored in the cloud I don't think it's possible to lose that info unless you lose your MyNorton account login info and the password to access your identitysafe info.

If you go back to NIS 2012 and can connect to the cloud again (or NIS 20.x starts working properly), once there export your info onto your desk top and then switch to local vault with identiysafe  and import it there. Take a look at this: I want a copy of my cloud base Identity safe sites/passwords to keep on my local PC

Kudos0

Hi Folks,

I was asked by Symantec to add a couple of questions to my list. Here is the list once again with the original 5 questions in my first post + the 2 addtional questions requested by Symantec.

5. Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal? https://identitysafe.norton.com. Added NOTE: I have discovered that navigating to the WEB portal redirects and what you are actually accessing is the local ID Safe cache data. To check if you can log into the WEB portal you need to first disable (turn OFF) the Norton toolbar. If you are not sure how to do this, please let me know. Once you have checked the web portal please be sure to turn the toolbar back ON.
  6. Has the online vault password ever been reset following three failed logon attempts?
  7. Does the problem resolve after one hour has elapsed?

Thanks much

Allen

Kudos0

HI! 

have the same problem .i couldn't login to identity safe...

1)NIS 2012 was good .I uninstalled 2012 and installed 2013 and identity safe became a headache..

2)I am using it on 1 system only.

3)IT says "opening" and stays on the screen like that for hours. so i uninstalled and reinstalled again . now it says "time out"

IN DETAIL:

i was doing the same for past 10 days..List of things i 've done:

1)updated my virus definitions

2)restart the system

sometimes,

i have to uninstall norton completely( It works , but after 2 to 3 days the problem is back. even it says my password is wrong and when i click on "show hint"  it doesn't display my hint ..again i had to uninstall my software and reinstall it back or type wrong password(if it accepts me) and reconfigure the vault therby loosing all my data.

Worst case: 

It kicks me out.it does not allow me to log in.

Example:  today morning i tried to log in with my password . It's been 5+ hrs it still says "opening......" . that's it no response.it stays on my screen like that(no time out).

I don't understand Norton Internet Security 2012 was awesome..   I am in trouble. all my passwords are in there. i cannot login to any of my accounts.

need help

Kudos0

Am having this issue with Norton 360 latest version 20.2.0.19  Just started this morning 10/29 after working fine last nite an prior.  Sometimes says connecting and other time syncing and takes forevr to give the message server timed out and to check my internet connection which is fine.

AllenM wrote:

Hi Folks,

I was asked by Symantec to add a couple of questions to my list. Here is the list once again with the original 5 questions in my first post + the 2 addtional questions requested by Symantec.

Using Norton 360 V20.2.0.19

1. Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013?

only 1 computer

1. When you last initialized the online vault was this done from 2012 or 2013?

360 2013 to initianlize

1. When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself? And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials?

Norton account always fine, vault is the issue.  Does not say invalid credentials, says server timed out and check my connection.  Sometimes syncing , sometimes connection

1. Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal? https://identitysafe.norton.com. Added NOTE: I have discovered that navigating to the WEB portal redirects and what you are actually accessing is the local ID Safe cache data. To check if you can log into the WEB portal you need to first disable (turn OFF) the Norton toolbar. If you are not sure how to do this, please let me know. Once you have checked the web portal please be sure to turn the toolbar back ON.

Can see my passcards on WEB portal just fine and don't need to disable the toolbar.

1. Has the online vault password ever been reset following three failed logon attempts?

NO

1. Does the problem resolve after one hour has elapsed?

No

Thanks much

Allen

Kudos0

The next two questions:

Q1(or is it 6) Has the online vault password ever been reset following three failed logon attempts?

A: Never got that far

Q2(or maybe 7) Does the problem resolve after one hour has elapsed?

A: See answer to 1(or 6 )

Kudos0

Unable to access the online vault either from the web or ID Safe.

Online vault data file appears to have corrupted.

Continously Synch`s only a reboot stops it.

Server times out with web access.

No problem with a newly setup identity though.

Moral seems to be, backup the data file on your PC don`t rely on the cloud store.

Martin_R_C

Kudos0

Using Norton 360 V20.2.0.19

1. Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013?

2 computers both using Norton 360 V20.2.0.19

1. When you last initialized the online vault was this done from 2012 or 2013?

Norton 360 V20.2.0.19

1. When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself? And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials?

Norton account logs in fine, online vault is the issue.  Changes from vault closed to Vault open and immdeiately freezes the browser.  Must then start task manager to force close or open Norton 360 itself and log out of idenity safe, vault closes and browser starts working.  Have had Norton Tech's work on both computers, doing complete uninstalls and reinstalls with no success.  They have elevated the issue, so they say.

1. Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal?

NO, I get the below message and have tried with and without toolbar turned on/off.

Error!An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again, if the error persists please contact customer support.
  1. Has the online vault password ever been reset following three failed logon attempts?

NO

1. Does the problem resolve after one hour has elapsed?

No, has been days, if I unistall and reinstall will sometimes work for a few hours and then quits.

Kudos0

Well,  think I have a work around but, not a solution.  Decided to try opening another account with a different e-mail address I have access to and lo and behold, logged on to that different e-mail account and was able to log into my vault with the identical password I used with my original account and my vault is working fine and all I had to do was to import my saved logins and I'm good to go.

Thought I'd see about my original acccount so logged out and logged in with my original e-mail address and tried to open my vault and the same old problem, timed out and check my connection.  Appears to me my program is working correctly with just a new account via a new e-mail.  There is something that is obviously corrupting my login with my old account or the Symantec Router is not acception my account with the old e-mail address but, is accepting the new e-mail address.

Hope this work around gives the Symantec techs something to work with to fix whatever is corrupting many logins.

Thanks,

rallydave at pobox dot com

Kudos0

Hi ... Yes I also hit this problem after re-importing my passwords into the data safe last week. Since then I have also had the latest NIS update to 20.2.0.19 and Firefox update to 16.0.1 just to confuse matters.

I have three PC's which all had the same problem after I re-imported my data safe.

PC1: Win 7 Pro 64bit with NIS 2013 which had previously been upgraded from NIS 2012

PC2: Win 7 Home 64 bit with clean NIS2013 install

PC3: Win 7 Home 32 bit with NIS 2013 which had previously been upgraded from NIS 2012

I had to migrate to using the online vault after doing the clean install on PC2, so then used online on both PC1 and PC3.  Since then I have exported and re-imported on PC1 as I wanted to recover an old login.  It was after that that I could not sign in to the online vault - it just kept running until I killed the process.  I can also confirm that I could see that I was logged into my Norton account when this happened.

What I have done since is to run Norton Remove & Reinstall tool on all three PC's and the problem seems to have gone away.

May it stay that way!  Needless to say I now hold backup copies of my logins locally.

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

DavidWeiman wrote:

Well,  think I have a work around but, not a solution.  Decided to try opening another account with a different e-mail address I have access to and lo and behold, logged on to that different e-mail account and was able to log into my vault with the identical password I used with my original account and my vault is working fine and all I had to do was to import my saved logins and I'm good to go.

Thought I'd see about my original acccount so logged out and logged in with my original e-mail address and tried to open my vault and the same old problem, timed out and check my connection.  Appears to me my program is working correctly with just a new account via a new e-mail.  There is something that is obviously corrupting my login with my old account or the Symantec Router is not acception my account with the old e-mail address but, is accepting the new e-mail address.

Hope this work around gives the Symantec techs something to work with to fix whatever is corrupting many logins.

Thanks,

David,

Are you able to transfer your software registration info to the new account?

Kudos0

sewing1243 wrote:

DavidWeiman wrote:

Thanks,

David,

Can't answer that question as I'm not sure how to find that out.  I did log into my new account with the new e-mail address and it of course didn't show I had purchased any software.  Not sure how to contact Symantec as all they seem to have is that automated help guy?  My old account still shows all my software and I can log into my Norton 360 with the new e-mail address.  Hoping Norton fixes the issue and I'll just never use the new account.  Strange that I can log into my product with an account that doesn't own the software but, it does work.  Probably part of the problem.  Even shows the correct days remaining with loggin into Identiy Protection with the new account.

Aha, that's what's going on.  Identiy protection is a free download so I'm still using the Norton 360 under my original account and logging into Identiy Protection which is free with my new account.  Pretty slick solution??  Hope Norton gets going and fixes all these giitches.

Kudos1 Stats

sewing1243 wrote:

DavidWeiman wrote:

Thanks,

David,

Hi Folks,

I can address the highlighted portion. The Norton Account used for ID Safe online vault storage purposes does NOT have to be tied to the Norton Account with which your Norton security software is registered using your product KEY. To reiterate there is NO requirement they be the same.

In fact my husband and I both have our own Norton Accounts (and have had for a long time) both with our own online ID Safe vault, yet both of our NIS programs are tied to MY Norton Account as far as product registration goes.

I also want to reassure everyone that I am continuing to converse with Symantec on these issues.

For those still not able to access their ID Safe, please try the following if you are on version 20.xx (NIS or N360).

Hopefully at this point everyone has a backup of their ID Safe stored locally. If so proceed as follows.

1. Make sure your Norton software is fully up to date. Run Live Update to make sure. (reboot if requested)
  2. Enter the wrong password 3 times while attempting to log into ID Safe via your Norton program.
  3. Reset the vault when prompted.
  4. Set up a new online vault with appropriate password.
  5. Log out and back into ID Safe via the Norton program a couple of times to make sure it works.
  6. Import your local ID Safe backup. (ask if you don't know how to do this)
  7. Again, log out and back in a couple of times to make sure it works.
  8. Disable the Norton toolbar in your browser. (if you don't know how please ask!). Then navigate to https://identitysafe.norton.com in your browser. Verify if you are able to log in via this WEB portal.
  9. Re-enable the Norton toolbar in your browser. (again ask if you don't know how to do this!)

Please let us know the results.

Best wishes.

Allen

Kudos0

Thanks Allan for the confirmation of how I thought the accounts work.

Hopefully your suggestion will work or based on my work around and your confirmation of how logins work, if you have a second or more e-mail address, simply set up a new account for Identity Protection.  One advantage to this is that you can use the same Vault Password as you are currently using so you don't need to learn and remember a new safe password.

Hope Allan's plan will work but, I am happy with my solution for now with the hope that Symantec will find the actual problems and issue a fix.  Also that Symantec will rethink the only on line vault and allow us to choose a vault on our own computers and/or an on-line vault.

Keep up the good fight Allan and thanks for a second workaround.

Kudos0

DavidWeiman wrote:

Thanks Allan for the confirmation of how I thought the accounts work.

Hopefully your suggestion will work or based on my work around and your confirmation of how logins work, if you have a second or more e-mail address, simply set up a new account for Identity Protection.  One advantage to this is that you can use the same Vault Password as you are currently using so you don't need to learn and remember a new safe password.

Hope Allan's plan will work but, I am happy with my solution for now with the hope that Symantec will find the actual problems and issue a fix.  Also that Symantec will rethink the only on line vault and allow us to choose a vault on our own computers and/or an on-line vault.

Keep up the good fight Allan and thanks for a second workaround.

Hi David, etal

The concept of having more than one Norton Account for orline vault storage has actually existed since 2012 was first released a year ago. This is an essential element, otherwise all users on the same subscription would have to use the same vault and that would be a serious issue.

Naturally it is not really intended for the same user to have multiple Norton Accounts for obvious reasons but then we are dealing with a very serious issue where many users are not able to log into their online ID Safe and I commend you for thinking of this possibility. Just bear in mind that this should only be considered a temporary workaround until the problems are resolved. And for others, be aware that each Norton Account must have a unique email address.

The steps I recommended above are because a couple of fixes were applied by Norton which may have a positive impact on this issue for some users. So this is really a data gathering exercise to see if this resolves the issue for some of you.

All the best,

Allen

Kudos0

Sorry I spelled your name wrong Allen,

I did say for now with my solution and had already planned on going back to my primary e-mail address for log in and dropping my second account once you let us know that a tested solution is available.  Hopefully at that time you can tell us how to delete our second account as it shouldn't be needed at that point.

Glad you mentioned that this is meant to be a test at the present time so I will probably not participate as i am currently happy with my temporary work around.  Should my current solution go on the fritz, will try your test assuming the reports from others are positive.

Thanks again, extremely happy that this issue is in work for a permenent fix and hope we will have vault options in the near future.  Also hope the browser freezing issue is in work as I had that problem as well however several uninstalls and reinstalls have fixed that issue for now.   Also had a Norton Driver cause BSOD's and have worked out that issue for now as well.

Lots of recent issues but, for now all working well; guess I am just lucky.

Kudos0

DavidWeiman wrote:

Sorry I spelled your name wrong Allen,

I did say for now with my solution and had already planned on going back to my primary e-mail address for log in and dropping my second account once you let us know that a tested solution is available.  Hopefully at that time you can tell us how to delete our second account as it shouldn't be needed at that point.

Glad you mentioned that this is meant to be a test at the present time so I will probably not participate as i am currently happy with my temporary work around.  Should my current solution go on the fritz, will try your test assuming the reports from others are positive.

Thanks again, extremely happy that this issue is in work for a permenent fix and hope we will have vault options in the near future.  Also hope the browser freezing issue is in work as I had that problem as well however several uninstalls and reinstalls have fixed that issue for now.   Also had a Norton Driver cause BSOD's and have worked out that issue for now as well.

Lots of recent issues but, for now all working well; guess I am just lucky.

Hi David,

No worries.

Regarding browser freezing issues, I have been having that too with Firefox 16.x but that is actually due to Adobe Flash Player in my case - not sure about your freezing issues of course.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash#Flash_Player_11.3_Protected_Mode_-_Windows

All the best,

Allen

Kudos0

Thanks for the Flash info Allen but, highly doubt that is the source of mine or many others issues.  The freezing only occurrec when trying to open the vault and in my case tried IE 8, Chrome and Firefox 16.  Same issue in all three browsers.

Didn't touch Flash but, took 3 uninsatlls and installs of Norton 360 and the third time was the charm, at least for now.   Then came the vault issue which is also fixed for now.

Am absolutely amazed that Symantec issued these new versions of 360 and Internet Security with so many bugs that come and go and have taken so long to solve????  Or that they don't allow people to keep a vault on their computers if we don't want to use the "cloud"

Thanks,

Kudos0

DavidWeiman wrote:

Thanks for the Flash info Allen but, highly doubt that is the source of mine or many others issues.  The freezing only occurrec when trying to open the vault and in my case tried IE 8, Chrome and Firefox 16.  Same issue in all three browsers.

Didn't touch Flash but, took 3 uninsatlls and installs of Norton 360 and the third time was the charm, at least for now.   Then came the vault issue which is also fixed for now.

Am absolutely amazed that Symantec issued these new versions of 360 and Internet Security with so many bugs that come and go and have taken so long to solve????  Or that they don't allow people to keep a vault on their computers if we don't want to use the "cloud"

Thanks,

HI David,

I certainly understand where you are coming from. I guess I am lucky that I have not had the browser freezing issues, apart from that caused by Flash.

It is pretty well known on the forum here that I lobbied and lobbied hard with Symantec to keep the local vault option for those who desire it. Unfortunately that has not been the decision so far.....but I am still somewhat hopeful this could change. I guess only time will tell...

All the best,

Allen

Kudos0

Thanks for your help on this frustrating issue, AllenM!

1. If you are using NIS 2013 (version 20.xx) or NIS 2012 (version 19.xx). Norton 360 Premier 2013 (Ver 20.2.0.19)

2. Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013? One at this time.

3. When you last initialized the online vault was this done from 2012 or 2013? Norton 360 Premier 2012.

4. When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself? And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials? Login to Norton account is no problem, it is the login to the Identity Vault that is the problem. When I attempt the login to my Identity vault, I get the window showing "Syncing" fro approximately 90 seconds, and then I get the message "The operation timed out. Check your network connection and try again."

5. Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal? https://identitysafe.norton.com No, that gives me the following message: "Internal Server Error. Please try again later". And I did turn off the Norton toolbar and restarted IE 9 before attempting this.

6. Has the online vault password ever been reset following three failed logon attempts? Yes, a couple of times. I added the free version of Identity Safe to my work laptop, and it immediately had issues logging-in, whereas my home machine had no issues at all. On two occasions I tried "nuking" my Identity vault and recreating it. Problems persisted on my work laptop, so I just removed the software from that machine and gave up on using it in that environment. :(

7. Does the problem resolve after one hour has elapsed? No, this is a HARD, PERSISTENT issue.

Kudos0

Hi Allen,

No joy here... when I attempt to enter the incorrect password for my Norton Vault, it gives me the same error as if I enter my correct password "The operation timed out. Check your network connection and try again." :(

Regards,

Gene

Kudos0

gpitts wrote:

Hi Allen,

No joy here... when I attempt to enter the incorrect password for my Norton Vault, it gives me the same error as if I enter my correct password "The operation timed out. Check your network connection and try again." :(

Regards,

Gene

Hi Gene,

Thanks very much for the information and results. I have passed this on to Symantec.

Best wishes,

Allen

Kudos0

AllenM wrote:

gpitts wrote:

Hi Allen,

Regards,

Gene

Hi Gene,

Thanks very much for the information and results. I have passed this on to Symantec.

Best wishes,

Allen

Hi Gene,

Can you please run Live Update on N360 just to confirm that you have the absolute latest updates? Be sure to restart your computer and I would recommend this (just to make sure) even if Norton does not ask you to.

Then please try the wrong password test again (from N360) and see if it still times out or if you are able to enter it wrong 3 times and have the option to reset your online vault.

Thanks again.

Allen

Kudos0

• If you are using NIS 2013 (version 20.xx) or NIS 2012 (version 19.xx).im using NIS2013
  • Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013?YES
  • When you last initialized the online vault was this done from 2012 or 2013?2013
  • When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself? And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials? Come back and just say invalid credentials
  • Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal?Yes

I'm using Windows 8pro

Kudos0

1. If you are using NIS 2013 (version 20.xx) or NIS 2012 (version 19.xx). Version 2013  on my desktop (Win 8) with online vault, 2012 on my laptop (Win 7) with a local vault on the laptop.
  2. Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013? No. My laptop only accesses a local vault. Only my desktop was accessing the online vault for my account.  FYI-The software licence/registration is under my Husband's Norton account.
  3. When you last initialized the online vault was this done from 2012 or 2013? 2013.
  4. When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself? And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials? It is the online vault that fails, not the account.  I get a network connection error when I try to login to my vault using the toolbar, after it tries to sync for a few minutes but fails (password is entered correctly, if it isn't it gives me a password error right away). A different norton account and vault work fine on the same desktop computer and network!
  5. Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal? https://identitysafe.norton.com. Added NOTE: I have discovered that navigating to the WEB portal redirects and what you are actually accessing is the local ID Safe cache data. To check if you can log into the WEB portal you need to first disable (turn OFF) the Norton toolbar. If you are not sure how to do this, please let me know. Once you have checked the web portal please be sure to turn the toolbar back ON. No, the portal does not work, not on laptop with NIS 2012 and not on desktop with NIS 2013, even with toolbar off. I get the following error when I try to do so: Internal Server Error. Please try again later. after I enter my vault password (can login with my account but not get into the vault using the web portal). Doesn't matter how I am connected to internet (i.e. does it when tethering my iphone and laptop and with my desktop and laptop on our home network). Husband's works fine, but he had this problem a few weeks ago and lost his vault info.
  6. Has the online vault password ever been reset following three failed logon attempts? I cannot remember, maybe?
  7. Does the problem resolve after one hour has elapsed? NO, have been having a continuous issue since Monday, Oct. 29. Tried to restart the computer, reinstall NIS, etc. to no avail.

Hopefully this can be fixed ASAP. Lucky I have almost everything backed up in my local vault on my laptop... a few things were new on my online vault that are not in my local vault but that is minor.

Christine

Kudos0

Hi. I've had these problems. I posted earlier today but in the wrong section! It was moved to this section which is when I saw your thread, AllenM. The gist of my problems are below. The info that you asked for follows:

(1) NIS 19.9.0.9 (no year shown) - on both PCs**. This was automatically installed a few weeks ago - but I now see that another update is available.

(2)** Laptop is Win7 Home Premium - desktop is XP Home.

(3) Probably last initialised from my desktop on the 1st August when I had problems - see below.

(4) It's the norton account that fails - the 'extra box' mentioned below.

(5) I was not aware of this WEB portal link.

Sorry that this is so long but perhaps there's something here that will help. I have had so many problems with NIS this year - their Help team have got me to reinstall it three or four times - at least. The only reason that I have stayed with Norton is their Identity Safe - the thought of keeping all of my passwords on paper apalls me but if Norton doesn't sort out the ID Safe problems then, regretfully, I'll be off to AVG or whoever else is out there. 

PROBLEMS TODAY:  I've just logged on and when I clicked on Identity Safe (Online) to 'start' it, there was an extra box demanding that I log on to my Norton Account. The password for that is in . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my Identity Safe.

So I clicked on "Forgotten Password?". When I went to check my mail, I couldn't use Identity Safe to log on so I was stuck - I couldn't access my mail to view the Norton email to change my password.

I had this problem in August - the safe was closed and after a lot of faffing around I was rewarded with this error message

Norton Internet Security 19.7.1.5 Error: 0, 0 Microsoft Windows XP 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.120504-1619 Norton Autofix Results: 0 item(s). Complete gobbledegook but the IDsafe came back. Luckily for me now I had written down my mail log-on password (that I'd just changed).

So I opened my email from Norton & changed my password.

I then went to open a secure website and so needed Identity Safe. I entered my new Norton password but it was rejected. I tried the old password - it worked! I am now now totally confused.

(1) Why is Norton Identity Safe Online now showing this extra box (Log on to your Norton Account)? Is it a new additional security layer? ***

(2) Why did it accept my old password when I'd just changed it?

***(3) Does this mean that everyone should keep a paper record of their email & Norton log-on passwords?

PS I also had big problems last Jan - similar but not quite the same:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Identity-Safe-shown-as-switched-off/m...

Win10 Home v1803 build 17134.345/HP envy/EDGE (rubbish)/IE11 (RIP)11.285.17134.0/ OFFICE 365 Home Personal/Norton Security
Kudos0

1. If you are using NIS 2013 (version 20.xx) or NIS 2012 (version 19.xx). Latest NIS 2013 on both computers
  2. Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013? both have NIS 2013
  3. When you last initialized the online vault was this done from 2012 or 2013? from 2013 upgraded laptop to NIS 2013 then sync
  4. When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself? And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials? log in to my account ok then when loging in to my vault it  trys to sync but just times out
  5. Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal? https://identitysafe.norton.com yes can log onto the Web Portal and see my logins ok.
Kudos1 Stats

Taffy_078 wrote:

So I opened my email from Norton & changed my password.

I then went to open a secure website and so needed Identity Safe. I entered my new Norton password but it was rejected. I tried the old password - it worked! I am now now totally confused.

(1) Why is Norton Identity Safe Online now showing this extra box (Log on to your Norton Account)? Is it a new additional security layer? ***

(2) Why did it accept my old password when I'd just changed it?

***(3) Does this mean that everyone should keep a paper record of their email & Norton log-on passwords?

PS I also had big problems last Jan - similar but not quite the same:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Identity-Safe-shown-as-switched-off/m...

Hi Taffy_078,

The Norton Account logon requirement has always been required in order to access the online ID Safe vault. But typically NIS will remember this from computer restart to computer restart and keep you logged into your Norton Account, requiring you to only log in to ID Safe itself. There are cases, either when you explicitly log out of your Norton Account from NIS or sometimes otherwise when you might have to log back in to your account before being prompted for your ID Safe online vault credentials.

There are certain logins which you should have documented in some secure fashion outside of just ID Safe. The login for ID Safe itself is naturally once such login. It sounds like your email account is via web mail, is this correct? This is probably one you should have documented somewhere as well along with your Norton Account password.

As to why your old Norton Account password was accepted instead of the new one, I suspect NIS was using the local ID Safe cache instead of logging you on via the actual online Norton Account. Please go to https://www.mynortonaccount.com/ and let me know if it works with your old or new password.

Best wishes.

Allen

Kudos0

Thank you Allen. After posting, I updated my NIS and now have 20.1.1.2. I updated the definitions and carried out a full scan. AOK. So I then accessed my web mail - yes, it's web mail so I'll keep a hardnote copy of its password and that for IDSafe from now on!

The first thing (as a result of the update?) is that the iocon that appears is Vault, not Identity Safe. It was closed so I clicked to open it. I had to use my old password! It works so I've kept a note a that too. But it didn't auto fill the log-on ID/password boxes for my mail. I did that manually and opened my mail.

There's a new icon, next to Vault - it's a Login Assistant but nothing happened when I clicked it.

I saw an auto-email from here and have just read you email. Thanks!

But now there's a new problem! I clicked on your link (https://www.mynortonaccount.com/ ) and it's returned this message: 

"US Trade Embargo Agreement does not allow access to this site".

I've packed my bags, called a taxi for the airport but I can hear police (MI5?) sirens in the distance.

Sorry for that moment of frivolity. I went to your reply below where I'm entering this, to copy and paste your link. When I pasted it, OMG. The text displayed were all over the screen, and repeated, then it froze. Luckily when I looged back in, the clever system here had auto-saved my text.

So everthing is OK except (1) how do I breach the US embargo and (2) I hope that I don't have all this nonsense again when I see if the laptop is now OK!!!

Win10 Home v1803 build 17134.345/HP envy/EDGE (rubbish)/IE11 (RIP)11.285.17134.0/ OFFICE 365 Home Personal/Norton Security
Kudos0

While this thread is not the exact topic that began my search for a solution to Identity Safe causing my browsers to freeze, I believe it is related as I too was unable to access the online identity safe throuth the Norton application.

I was on with support chat and LogMeIn for over six hours yesterday and while we could not determine the exact cause of the problem or trigger, we believe it has to do with synchronizing Identity Safe which moves all Identity Safe data to the online Identity Safe. The following are the notes we compiled describing how we resolved the problem: (should be under case No. 05561484

Note: Do not synchronize the local vault to the online vault as it will transfer the files automatically to the online server. If prompted by the Norton product DO NOT CLICK ON SYNCHRONIZE. It seems that the problem with Identity Safe freezing browsers might be cause by or resultant from synchronization.

Note: While this solution did allow me to use Identity Safe in Internet Explorer, we were not able to recover or import my old Identity Safe data. The process that resulted in the problem resolution had me setting up a new identity safe and re-populating it with usernames and passwords.

1. Remove the Norton 2013 thru Control Panel> Programs and Features.
2. Download the Norton 2012 product thrrtu www.norton.com/nis12 and install.
3. Restart PC.
4. Installed the Norton 2012, run the liveudpate.
5. Restart PC.
6. In your Norton Product, go to settings> web> Identity Safe.
7. Try logging in to Identity Safe using your old (original) username and password.
8. If Norton request you create an Identity Safe profile, follow the step to create it.
9. Once created, save (re-populate) usernames and passwords again in the Norton Identity Safe.
10. Backup the identity safe by going to identity safe> settings> export data.
11. It will prompt to save, save it in Desktop.
Note: You have just saved Identity Safe data that is stored locally.
12. Download Norton removal tool thru www.symantec.com/nrt, install and run to remove Norton 2012.
13. Redownload Norton 2013 thru norton.com/download, install.
14. Installed the norton 2013, activate and run Liveupdate.
15. Restart PC.
16. Go to identity safe again and then click on configure it will give step by step screen navigating you to save it in the online vault.

NOTE: You will be asked to synchronize the subscription, do not. Keep the local vault. Select keep local vault.

17. You will now have the IDsafe saved in the local vault instead of the onlive vault.

Internet explorer freeze upon accessing website:
- disabled the shockwave player add on and Internet Explorer does not freeze upon signing into Identity Safe.

Note: There may be add-ons that cause problems if not fully updated. I updated Shockwave and then enabled it with no more problems.

The apparent problem with Scynchronization has not been solved and has been escalated to Symantec/Norton according to the Tech. I was working with yesterday evening.

Search also also "Identity Safe Crash Causes Browsers to Crash," "Norton Identity Safe has crashed," "Identity Safe and Browser Freeze."

Dapau

Kudos0

Unable to log into my online vault.

Edit to add: I have perfect internet connectivity,  the login stopped working suddenly.

1. If you are using NIS 2013 (version 20.xx) or NIS 2012 (version 19.xx).  Using Norton Antivirus 2013.  20.2.0.19
  2. Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013?  One Computer.
  3. When you last initialized the online vault was this done from 2012 or 2013?  2013
  4. When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself? And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials?  Online Vault and Norton Account when running vault setup. Message states: A network error is preventing access to your norton account.
  5. Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal?   Yes.
  6. Has the online vault password ever been reset following three failed logon attempts?  No
  7. Does the problem resolve after one hour has elapsed?  No.
Kudos0

1. 2013

2. Just one PC and one iPhone (phone works, yet so tiny)

3. I believe I initialized the online Vault with 2012

4. Norton Account login is failing.  Says there is a "network problem"  Network is fine.

5. I can access my account on-line.

6. Vault password has never been reset.

7. After an hour still unable to log in.

Kudos0

I cannot log in either. I am running a Windows 7 PC.

I can log into from the web portal but I can't open my Vault in my browser..

I am using Norton 360 and I bought it two months ago.

Both my Laptop and my desktop are showing the same errors.

Tells me there is a Network Error!!

I recently switched back to Norton specifically for Identity Safe. I wish I would have stayed with my other Antivirus software. Norton messes up my browsers and I have to minimize them and reopen them for videos and things to appear. This is the last time I mess with Norton!!

Kudos0

I am also having the same problems as everyone else and I am thinking it has something to do with when we SYNC our logins after that it fails the next time you login.

Has anyone had problems with there login only when using the one computer.

Kudos0

1. If you are using NIS 2013 (version 20.xx) or NIS 2012 (version 19.xx).  NIS 2013 ver 20.2.0.19
  2. Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013?  Two PCs on remote networks; neither a domain member; both members of same workgroup; workgroup facilitated by Hamachi network.
  3. When you last initialized the online vault was this done from 2012 or 2013?  2013
  4. When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself? And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials?  Present issue is refusal to login at first prompt (Norton Account login) with error dialogue "NETWORK ERROR - CHECK YOUR INTERNET CONNECTIVITY".  There is in fact no internet connectivity issue; though there is periodic extreme browser slowdown (FFX 16.0.2) associated with any attempt to login to NIS-IDS and/or Norton Toolbar.  For clarity:  (a) during "browser slowdown" internet connectivity is superb - it's the browser itself choking; (b) disabling Hamachi interface has no impact upon the issue whatsoever.
  5. Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal?  YES
Kudos0

Hi,

I have had alot of problems with my Norton NIS this year too ,but Norton support has always fixed stuff up,so I stay with them.

Kudos0

1. NIS 2013

2. No.

3. NIS 2013

4. Norton Account. A network error is prventing access to your Norton Account.

5. Yes

Kudos1 Stats

Kudos0

That did it. Thank NotStoked!

Kudos1 Stats

mp7 wrote:

No probs, I had this startling revalation after seeing the connection timed out check your network connection popping up over and over again.

I was sitting there thinking about it.......  Then the Heavens opened up, the seas parted and Moses ditched that crappy ark for a Chevy V8, then I changed my email address and bam!  There it was.

It occured to me there's an issue between client account identification and the cloud server.  Email being the primary trigger for account identification and validation, kinda like a port reset to regain access to the net.

I don't really know but it's a workaround that works!

Kudos0

I hope that you're still monitoring this Allen! Everything is now working properly, and quickly. When I click on "Vault closed", I no longer have to input my Norton Account log-on and password.

My subscription is renewable at the start of December - on balance, I will renew - the 'Vault' facility is for me the balancing factor.

Thanks again Allen for all your hard work - I've no idea whether this is your full time job or whether it's a 'labour of love'. But without you (and others such as Maurice on the Secunia forum) users of my 'standard' would be completely lost and would have thrown their PCs out of the nearest window by now!!

Thanks again - I hope that Norton are fully aware of your value to them.  David

Kudos0

Taffy_078 wrote:

I hope that you're still monitoring this Allen! Everything is now working properly, and quickly. When I click on "Vault closed", I no longer have to input my Norton Account log-on and password.

My subscription is renewable at the start of December - on balance, I will renew - the 'Vault' facility is for me the balancing factor.

Thanks again Allen for all your hard work - I've no idea whether this is your full time job or whether it's a 'labour of love'. But without you (and others such as Maurice on the Secunia forum) users of my 'standard' would be completely lost and would have thrown their PCs out of the nearest window by now!!

Thanks again - I hope that Norton are fully aware of your value to them.  David

Hi David,

Yes I am still tracking this and will be doing so until these core ID Safe issues are resolved.

All the best,

Allen

Kudos0

NotStoked wrote:

mp7 wrote:

No probs, I had this startling revalation after seeing the connection timed out check your network connection popping up over and over again.

I was sitting there thinking about it.......  Then the Heavens opened up, the seas parted and Moses ditched that crappy ark for a Chevy V8, then I changed my email address and bam!  There it was.

It occured to me there's an issue between client account identification and the cloud server.  Email being the primary trigger for account identification and validation, kinda like a port reset to regain access to the net.

I don't really know but it's a workaround that works!

Hi NotStoked,

It is actually a bit surprising that simply changing your email address associated with the same Norton Account you were having problems with in the first place, resolved this. The problem has been with something going wrong at the server side and since there is only one online vault per Norton Account is what makes this surprising. As someone had realized earlier, by setting up a different Norton Account altogether, it resolved the problem - this is the only workaround I would have expected to work.

Kudos to you for discovering that changing your email address in the problem Norton Account works as well. I have passed this vital information on to Symantec. Who knows, it might result in them getting to the bottom of this once and for all quicker than they might otherwise.

All the best.

Allen

Kudos0

I have the same problem all 3 of my computers will freeze if I try to use ID SAFE VAULT.Really need this to be fixed soon at 70 years old I not sure  if I can wait around for this to be fixed. 

1. If you are using NIS 2013 (version 20.xx) or NIS 2012 (version 19.xx).  Yes
  2. Do you have more than one computer accessing the same online vault? If so are all of them either on 2012 or 2013? yes
  3. When you last initialized the online vault was this done from 2012 or 2013? Upgrade
  4. When you cannot log into ID Safe, which login is failing, the Norton Account or the online vault itself?And when this fails do you get a window saying syncing that never clears or does it come back and just say invalid credentials?
  5. Are you able to log into your online vault through the WEB portal? https://identitysafe.norton.com no

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.