• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Second day in a row NIS 2013 says last LiveUpdate was 17 hours ago

As above. And the annoying thing is NIS appears to not work correctly when this happens as when I try to open Microsoft Word documents, they don't open (hangs while opening).

I can resolve both these issues after a reboot, but I really don't want to be doing that on a daily basis.

Any more reports on this?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Second day in a row NIS 2013 says last LiveUpdate was 17 hours ago

miss_fugg wrote:

As above. And the annoying thing is NIS appears to not work correctly when this happens as when I try to open Microsoft Word documents, they don't open (hangs while opening).

I can resolve both these issues after a reboot, but I really don't want to be doing that on a daily basis.

Any more reports on this?

Hi,
Yours is the first I've read. Is your system always on? If you turn it off do you run live update right after booting up? Can you give us a few more details about your hardware and software?

Thanks

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Yes, my system is always on. NIS is now reporting last LiveUpdate took place 20 hours ago! Obviously this is incorrect as I've manually ran LiveUpdate myself there have been updates available.

I'm running Windows VIsta 32-bit, 3GB RAM, Intel Core Duo E4500 2.20GHz Compaq PC. I tend not to load much software onto my PC as I prefer web versions, so it's pretty much bare minimum.

I know once I reboot the system, NIS will update and correctly report last update time. It's pretty frustrating.

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

Hi,

My only suggestion would be to run the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool to be sure that the copy of the product on your system was complete and correct.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20110217171332EN

NOTES:

Be sure to save your identity safe data BEFORE running the tool

Also, run live update after the install until the program tells you that you have downloaded and installed all of the updates.

Keep us posted

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Thanks, will probably end up doing that (though trying to avoid if possible).

I've noticed when the LiveUpdate time is incorrect, I can't restart my PC. It simply hangs.

I'm leaving it run until (if) it happens again, then I will follow your advice and remove/reinstall.

Kudos0

I am facing the same issue as well... I was getting the message that live update was done 1 day ago earlier, so manually updated it and it said that the update was successful. This continued for last 4 days where I successfully manual updated it.

But today I am getting the error that the live update was done 5 days ago and updates are not up to date and the PC might be at risk!

When I click on "FIX", the next window says the update completed successfully, but when I click on OK... I am getting the error the fix was not successful?

Please advise

Kudos0

vinodsagar wrote:

I am facing the same issue as well... I was getting the message that live update was done 1 day ago earlier, so manually updated it and it said that the update was successful. This continued for last 4 days where I successfully manual updated it.

But today I am getting the error that the live update was done 5 days ago and updates are not up to date and the PC might be at risk!

When I click on "FIX", the next window says the update completed successfully, but when I click on OK... I am getting the error the fix was not successful?

Please advise

Hi,

Can you check your system date and time are accurate?

Thanks,

Dave

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Yes, the time and date are accurate, infact my PC is set to auto sync with internet time.

Btw just ran the live update now, the pop up window said update is not required, but the message on the main window remains the same that the updates are 5 days old.

Kudos0

Check your time and date immediately after booting up the computer.  The CMOS battery may be failing causing the system clock to lose track of date and time while the machine is turned off.  This will cause problems for Norton, even if, after the system is started, your clock synchs and updates to the correct time and date again..

Kudos0

I had the same occurence yesterday, once there was an update available the problem righted itself. This was on a newish (4 months old) Win7 computer so there can't be a problem with the cmos battery & the time/date are correct.

Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos0

Its fixed!!!... you were right.. the problem was with the time... not related to cmos or battery though, since this is just 2 month old hp g6 notebook.... the issue was with the timezone... i have travelled to another country and had not changed the time zone while using Astrill VPN... but after the change its working fine now.

Thank you!!!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.