• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos5 Stats

NIS2013 Anti-Spam COM Add-In no longer compatible with Office2010/Outlook after SP2 update.

Heads Up!

Tuesday’s (7-23-13) release by Microsoft (via Windows’s Update) of the Office 2010 "SP2 Update" has caused issues with the Norton Anti-Spam COM Add-In for Outlook.  After the SP2 update is applied, every time Outlook is started, a new folder is automatically created with the same name:

"the file so that changes to the file will be reflected in your item #." (where # will be an incrementing number for each new folder created on each subsequent Outlook startup/invocation.)

These "ghost folders" only seem to occur in any additional data files Outlook has opened - i.e. Any extra “.OST” and/or “.PST” datafile such as “Archive.PST”, but not in the default mail delivery datafile structure(s) 

FWIW; I found that going into Outlook options and un-checking the Norton Anti-Spam COM Add-In fixes the problem.  After disabling the Add-in and closing/re-opening Outlook, the "ghost folders" can be deleted by right-clicking and selecting "Delete" from the context menu. 

Kind Regards,

John

EDIT - Further clarification on symptom & work-around remedy.

Replies

Kudos3 Stats

Re: NIS2013 Anti-Spam COM Add-In no longer compatible with Office2010/Outlook after SP2 update.

Subsequent FYI...

The issue seems to have been addressed in the 21.0.0.67 (beta) version of the MSOUPlug.dll.

Can a SymEmp comment as to whether or not there will be a patch/update for the 20.4.0.40 (current production) plug-in?

Not too big a deal really since Outlook's built-in junk mail management does an acceptable job on its own.

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos1 Stats

Re: NIS2013 Anti-Spam COM Add-In no longer compatible with Office2010/Outlook after SP2 update.

Thanks for posting this here.

I reported my issue first in the Microsoft Community:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/multipe-folders-created-named-the-file-so-that/801169a0-2390-4509-93ea-6b60d5be4afc

Disabing the Norton Anti Spam COM addin solved the issue in Outlook 2010 SP2.

Indeed, I too can live without the Norton Ant Spam filter as Outlook does a decent job itself in removing junk email. However, as a NIS 2013 customer I expect a fix in future.

Kudos1 Stats

I have disabled anti-spam in Norton but it’s still listed in Outlook add ons (the folder isn't being recreated so Norton looks to be disabled). There doesn't look to be a rapid fix which can't do the Norton reputation much good given the number of times I found this on the web

Kudos1 Stats

This happened in my Outlook 2010 too. Disabling Norton Antispam resolves the problem. Why has there been no reply to this thread from any of the Symantec staff?

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- NIS 21
Kudos1 Stats

Let me also add another version of the workaround - you can leave AntiSpam on, but disable Client Integration with Outlook (just the Email clients subsection - the address book integration can be left checked). The result is the same - no more ghost folders.

Kudos0

I've been having the same issue. Is there any word on a fix to this issue from Norton/Symantec?

Kudos0

It looks to me as if there idea is we hang on for the 2014 version as I noticed the beta is said to be OK with Outlook (not tried it my self so I don't know if it is). So they have found how to overcome the isue in the 2014 beta! Given all the isues with 2013 I intend to hang on to see how 2014 actually works out when its finished so am not expecting the problem to go away any time soon.

Kudos0

Norton 2014 (21.0.1.3) has regressed from the beta - it is burdened with this issue unfortunately.

Kudos0

I only have the new version on one PC but so far it’s not creating the folders. I have opened and closed Outlook many times since installing. Since seeing it might not be sorted I have done it 10 times and apart from finding a folder I missed the original time no new folders have been created.

My errer I have it disabled in NIS settings so Its still off.

Kudos0

Got NIS 2014 and still have issue with rouge files appearing in Outlook archive in Office 2010 SP2!

I disabled the COM addon and was able to delete the accumlating files!

Kudos0

I'm having the same problem with N360, both before and after upgrading to the newest version (v21.0.1.3). I've had an online chat with a Norton Expert this morning, and his solution is to suggest using the Norton Removal Tool and reinstalling this latest version. However, I'm skeptical, on the grounds that this isn't a local problem to me - it's clearly being replicated by users across the internet. And we all know that "turn it off, and then turn it back on again" doesn't really work when it comes to software bugs!

In the meantime, I've turned off the Client Integration with Outlook as suggested by TomiRed and that has worked.

Has anyone else tried running the NRT and re-installing, and did that have any positive effect? I'm loathe to waste time doing this when I suspect it will make no difference (since the upgrade install didn't fix it).

The expert told me that they could only escalate the problem if I do the reinstall, and then get hold of them on the online chat again if it doesn't work. I asked about the fact there had been no response to this thread from anyone at Symantec (as noted by earlier posters), seven weeks after the OP, and he told me that he would raise that with the relevant department (so hopefully we'll see some response in here soon).

Thanks!

Laluki.

Kudos0

I ran the Norton removal / reinstall tool with the latest NIS 2014.  When I open Outlook in Office 2010 SP2 I still get the creation of the accumulating files in the archive folder.  I disabled the Norton addin and was able to remove the accumulating files.

There seems to me to be an issue with the Norton addin for Outlook as with it disabled all seems fine.

Wish someone from Norton would weigh in?

Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Kudos3 Stats

Just did an online chat with Norton and they looked at the problem.  They said they are aware of issue and a fix when available will come automatically.

Kudos0

I just unchecked the "Norton Anti-Spam Outlook Plug in" option.  Many thanks to the people who identified the problem and suggested the solution.

For those people who might need some help in disabling the Plug-In:

In Outlook: select the "FIle" tab

Select "options"  near the botton of the screen

In the "Outlook Options" screen, select "add-Ins"

at the bottom of that window, you'll see a box titled 'Manage'

the full content, including the drop down box, reads  "Manage Com Add-ins".      Select "Go"

on the resulting screen, uncheck "Norton Anti-Spam Outlook Plug In"

Click on "OK"

I'm very disappointed that no one from Norton responded to this problem when it was posted earlier. It should have been fixed by now!

Since I unchecked the Plug In, I hope Norton notifies the users when the problem is fixed so I can again check the Plug-In.

Kudos0

Updated NIS to build 21.0.2.1, today.

This issue with Outlook 2010 SP2 is still not resolved, so the Norton anti-Spam filter remains disabled.

Kudos0

Same problem here:

NIS version installed is 21.0.1.3 (Live update just run, no 21.0.2.1 avail in France)

Outlook version installed is 14.0.7106.5001 (32 bits), aka Office Pro 2010 SP2

If the NIS antispam plugin is activated, then when opening/closing outlook some folders are created (from 1 to 3, number of folders looks random). The only way not to have "spam" folders created is to de-activate the anti-spam plugin.

Folder name used is always the same "the file so that changes to the file will be reflected in your item"

Thanks for fixing the problem urgently!

Kudos0

It is really a shame, that this issue has not been solved yet.

Same problem here, obviously.

Kudos0

Hi UCH, wis38 & davepmiddleton,

I have sent you a Private Message (  ). Please take a look at it when time permits.

Thanks!

Gayathri Rajendiran
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

What's wrong with sending me a message? Don't I have the same problem? Do I stink or what?
Kudos0

No, you don't stink - but judging from the number of kudoz and solutions you have in your stats, people at Symantec apparently think you no longer need their help, whereas I am a newbie.

I actually would have assumed they had contacted a number of people (at least that would have made more sense to me), but obviously they haven't. Why they would not do that is beyond me, though.

Kudos0

I'm new, too.

I'd like to know what Symantec's reply is, as well.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi All,

A fix for this Ghost folders creation in Outlook 2010 Mailbox has been added to version 21.1.0.18 of NIS/N360.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Product-Update-21-1-of-Norton-Internet-Security-and-Norton/td-p/1034147

So once after your product gets updated to the said version, no more new ghost folders should be created in your Outlook Mailbox. As far as the already created ones are concerned, they have to be deleted manually (Sorry for the inconvenience ).

Hope the issue goes away with this upgrade! Let us know in case the issue persists even after upgrading.

Thanks!

Kudos0

I am very glad that this issue is fixed, even though I have to wait for the German version now.
Kudos0

This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway.

I have Norton Internet Security configured to update automatically and to get automatic downloads of new version.

However, my current version shows as 21.0.2.1

How to I run Live Update to get version 21.1.0.18 ?

Kudos0

Hi Phil6,

FAQ section at http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Product-Update-21-1-of-Norton-Internet-Security-and-Norton/td-p/1034147 hold the answers for your question. The update might not be available to all users for a little while, till we ensure its effectiveness.

Thanks!

Kudos0

I'm still stuck on 21.0.1.3 as well, despite having the English version. When I do a "New Version Check" from within my N360 Premier, it tells me I have the latest version.

It seems a little silly to me that there's a group of users here who are suffering from the problem, and are active on the forums, yet aren't the ones being asked to try the new version to confirm that it works! Norton have a prime group of customers who would be happy to give feedback as to whether the problem has been solved, yet they are choosing not to give the update to those customers.

It's about as useful as the whole  "uninstall, download the latest version (even though you're already running it) and re-install" script that the live support team have to follow, which equally didn't fix the problem for other users (as I expected). I'm glad I didn't waste my time trying that out, at least.

Kudos0

Hi All,

From this link:  http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Product-Update-21-1-of-Norton-Internet-Security-and-Norton/m-p/1034147/highlight/true#M246561

.How can I manually install these patches?

All customers will receive the patch once we have confirmed its effectiveness. However, if you did not receive the 21.1 update and wish to apply the patch immediately, please contact Tony_Weiss requesting the patch. Be sure to use "Update 21.1 patch request - NIS or NAV or N360s or N360p" as your subject. Expect a reply within 24 hours.

So those of you who do not desire to wait until it comes down automatically via LiveUpdate, Tony has given the opiton to contact him via PM as indicated above and request the download.

Kudos0

sneha_renga wrote:

Hi Phil6,

FAQ section at http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Product-Update-21-1-of-Norton-Internet-Security-and-Norton/td-p/1034147 hold the answers for your question. The update might not be available to all users for a little while, till we ensure its effectiveness.

Thanks!

Hi Sneha,

I have another question to this regard;  Since this issue also affects the v20 products can you tell us if there a corrective update patch planned for them as well?

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Hi John,

No, I have not changed names, nor color of my user name however I would hope to see a similar progression with this situation as we saw with the FF24 crashes in this announcement.  This one may take a bit longer as I ouwld guess it wil go out to all languages for v 21 prior to going out to the other versions (V 19 or V 20).

Of course we know - just because that makes sense doesn't mean that is what will happen!  

Kudos0

Hi Yank -

FWIW, I presume similarly to your evaluation on their likelihood of redress, but it would be nice (and more official sounding) to hear it from them. 

Anyway - and as I said previously; This is not a "big issue" (for me, at least) since Outlook's built-in junk mail management already does quite an acceptable job on it's own.  Combine that with the mail services (which I utilize) also doing a venerable job at mitigating SPAM and SPEW, and it leaves me in a "good to go" status - with or without a functional Norton Outlook Plug-in. 

Kind regards,

John

Edit: I'll add that my views are in no way intended to diminish the prospects of the advantages to be gained with the v21 variants, particularly if one considers the added benefit of v21's Outlook (64Bit) support.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi John,

There is no exclusive patch targeting the 20.x users for this issue, as of now. A product upgrade to the latest version (21.1.0.18) should help them get rid of this issue.

Thanks!

Kudos0

Well, I got my update a couple of weeks ago, and it seems that it no longer puts random folders in Outlook. This is a good start.

However, I now have a new problem. I use a proxy to connect to the internet, and for some reason this new version cannot connect to the subscription server across the proxy. It will happily run LiveUpdate, the New Version Check and everything else, but not the Subscription Status check. I found this out when it decided my subscription (valid until May 2015) had expired because it hadn't been able to connect within the last couple of weeks (the error actually said something like that!) 

I talked to a couple of experts about this. The first asked for a remote connection (which I never accept) and then talked me through the DNS flush / Winsock reset and reboot route. This didn't fix it. I then looked into it myself. Switching off the proxy allowed me to do the check and get the correct expiry date back, but I think it's going to do this every couple of weeks now.

The second expert asked for a remote connection (why is their first response "let us into your computer" these days?) and then asked me to uninstall/reinstall (which I know isn't going to fix it - I'm fed up wasting my time with this!) He then got me to look at my Internet connection (IP4) properties, which obviously are fine as I'm fully able to use the internet. He told me the issue is with the proxy address, but couldn't explain why LiveUpdate and all my other internet activities work over the proxy (and don't work if I don't connect to the proxy) if this is the problem.

It's clearly something specific with the subscription server(s) - the fact that all the rest of the software, including LiveUpdate, works happily across the proxy means that it's not a proxy problem.

Does anyone else use a proxy that they run their Norton over - have you seen this problem at all?

Kudos0

Yours is not the only connectivity issue brought on by upgrading to v21.  I've noted other (presumably) firewall related problems with v21.

Being required to upgrade from v20 to v21 in order to fix the anti-spam plugin breakage (which I do not blame on Symantec, but rather on Microsoft’s latest Office SP,) is in my view, choosing to trade a rather minor nuisance for a much larger batch of far more irritating v21 related problems.

Just my opinion …

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Hi John,

Thanks for that - glad to hear I'm not the only one! I also think it's a problem that MS have caused, along with the myriad of other problems that the September updates caused.

Is there another message thread somewhere on here that talks about these issues with v.21? I'm afraid I'm a bit of a newbie so don't know my way around much. It would be helpful to be able to see what other people are saying, and to be able to give the link to support people who apparently aren't aware that more than one person has this problem!

Many thanks,

Phil.

~~~

Kudos0

The two principle forums I keep an eye on regarding NIS issues (my primary concern) are the one we are now posting in...And please note the growing number of threads/posts indicating various issues with v21's default rule set adversely affecting or blocking legitimate packet traffic...

And then there's the Norton Toolbar / Norton Identity Safe forum... Probably best not to get me going about the changes made to those v21 components ... Quite the laundry list of new dislikes.  

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

I'm still having the same crash with the antispam plug in enabled on outlook 2010.

Kudos0

Does Norton Internet Security crash, or are you getting

multiple ghost folders automatically created with the same name: 

"the file so that changes to the file will be reflected in your item #" ?

I'm now running on  version 21.1.0.8 and experiencing no problems (I'm not doing anything particularly complex on my computer). 

I still have Norton Antispam disabled in Outlook 2010  (running Windows 7 Home Premium).  I don't know if it's safe to enable it again. I'd appreciate getting advice on whether to enable it again or not.

Kudos0

Sorry folks, but N360 Version 21.1.0.18 does not solve the issue of creating ghoast folders

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Tomos,

Once after your product gets updated to 21.1.0.18, no more new ghost folders should be created in your Outlook Mailbox. However the ghost folders that were created already (that is, the ones created before you started to use 21.1.0.18) would not be deleted automatically and would continue to be seen. They have to be deleted manually.

So just wanted to get clarified if you still get new folders created each time you launch outlook or if it is that the old ones do not go away. You can also try deleting all the ghost folders that are currently seen in your mail box(if any) and relaunch outlook to check if it again creates new ghost folders.

Thanks!

Kudos0

sneha_renga wrote:

Hi Tomos,

Once after your product gets updated to 21.1.0.18, no more new ghost folders should be created in your Outlook Mailbox. However the ghost folders that were created already (that is, the ones created before you started to use 21.1.0.18) would not be deleted automatically and would continue to be seen. They have to be deleted manually.

So just wanted to get clarified if you still get new folders created each time you launch outlook or if it is that the old ones do not go away. You can also try deleting all the ghost folders that are currently seen in your mail box(if any) and relaunch outlook to check if it again creates new ghost folders.

Thanks!

Great!  And what about the sending issues that update imposes?  

Kind regards,

John

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.