• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

LibreOffice 4.1.0

So, I downloaded the new version of LibreOffice 4.1.0 from the Document Foundation site (http://www.libreoffice.org/download), then I uninstalled the old version and installed the new one, then I went to fire it up, opened the "About" menu item and got the following two NIS detections:

Filename: unicodedata.pyd
Threat name: Suspicious.Cloud.7.F
Full Path: c:\program files (x86)\libreoffice 4\program\python-core-3.3.0\lib\unicodedata.pyd

Filename: cuilo.dll
Threat name: Suspicious.Cloud.7.F
Full Path: c:\program files (x86)\libreoffice 4\program\cuilo.dll

Both files were quarantined and removed by NIS and now unfortunately I cannot open "Options" and "About" in LibreOffice. It's pretty clear to me that this is a false positive since I grabbed it from the authors' own site. Please let me know if it's okay to restore these two files. Thanks.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.0

Hi  Vortexfugue

If you could let Norton know about the problem file or files and where to find them, they can assess it for being a false positive, please use the link below.

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

Thanks, intesec, done.

Kudos0

Yes. This broke LibreOffice. For now I did a "restore" and now LibreOffice works. But I would really like to know if this was a false positive or not.  

This has happened before with LibreOffice.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Yes, it was a false positive, Spotteddog. I submitted it for analysis yesterday and last night I received an email back from Symantec with the following: "Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and as such this detection will be removed from our products. The updated detection will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions" .. and so I restored both files and NIS no longer hits on them.. cool. :)

Kudos0

As you now have things working, could you mark your last post as the solution. That way, others who may have this issue can see there is a solution.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Whenever I download a software package I right click on it and select "Norton Internet Security"->"Insight Network Scan" and "Norton File Insight".

Would doing those scans before installing pickup those types of false positives?

Mike

Kudos0

I think I'm right that that version of Libre Office was only released the day you posted about installing it .... prior to that it was a beta so it's not surprising if Norton's reputation scanning had not completely caught up <s>

Glad it was all cleared and now others won't have the same worry .....

Hugh
Kudos0

Nope, Mike, it wouldn't.. well, in this case at least it didn't. It was the LibreOffice .msi install file that I downloaded and which I also did a scan on. But NIS didn't detect it until after the installation and the program was opened.. apparently because the files in question didn't yet exist until after the install.
Kudos0

Yep, huwyngr, the new version of Libre Office was only released the day I posted about it.
Kudos0

I can see myself following your footsteps since my most recent MS Office is 2002 .....

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.