• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Nis 2014 problem Internet navigation in windows 8 pro

Hello 

im new here...

today have installed the new nis 2014 in win 8 pro, the installation was execute whiteout problems. But when I try to navigate in Internet I can't access.....my PC was attached to LAN Ethernet whit cable at switch. Before I have installed the nis 2013 and I have never was problem to access Internet.. If remove nis 2014 I can navigate whiteout problem.

hope some one can help me.

sorry my bad English.

thanks in advance

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Nis 2014 problem Internet navigation in windows 8 pro

Hello 

im new here...

today have installed the new nis 2014 in win 8 pro, the installation was execute whiteout problems. But when I try to navigate in Internet I can't access.....my PC was attached to LAN Ethernet whit cable at switch. Before I have installed the nis 2013 and I have never was problem to access Internet.. If remove nis 2014 I can navigate whiteout problem.

hope some one can help me.

sorry my bad English.

thanks in advance

Kudos0

Try downloading again and reinstalling NIS2014 again. There may have been some file that was corrupted in the original install.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hello.

i have try this 3 times and no have solved :(

have other so,ution?

Kudos0

Likewise  

I am running Windows 8 Pro x64.

Yesterday I upgraded from NIS 2013 to NIS 21.0.1.3. At completion of the install (perhaps a minute after the "Explore" message appears), my LAN shows it has no connectivity. That is, the exclamation-mark comes up on the Sys Tray icon.

NIS starts up the Activation screen, which of course fails. It then displays either of Error 8505,100 or 8505,129. It then says "Running Internet Connectivity Repair". This fails.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 imes now (with restarts as prompted). After the restarts my LAN connectivity always returns. As an additional step to resolve the problem I have run the Norton Uninstall tool, which validates the uninstalls by telling me it can find no Norton products. At each uninstall I have told the uninstaller to delete user data. I have also run Windows 8 network troubleshooter, with no luck. 

On each install I have tried disabling NIS smart firewall, antivirus, SONAR, you name it. I disabled it. Network connectivity did not return.

Currently running Windows Defender ...

I have upgraded with no problems on my old XP laptop.

Kudos0

hi.

is bug of Nis 2014?

Kudos0

It is highly likely this is a NIS 2014 (or 21 as they're calling it this time). I've been running NIS for years and this I don't recall the release version (as opposed to betas) ever killing the network connectivity.

It would be helpful to document what our problem has in common:

The first time I upgraded I did a "Check for updates" from NIS 2013. Is that what you did?

Are you running Windows 8 Pro x64 (I am)?

Kudos0

I have running from win 8 pro 32 bit and have upgrade from nis 2013 and now no solution for this problem

Kudos0

Okay. Thanks. Hopefully a fix will come out for this soon, or an expert will suggest a cure. I can't see any log files to submit to Symantec. Perhaps that's because the uninstaller does a good job.

In the meantime - using the free Windows Defender may not be as good as NIS, but Defender and the Windows Firewall do give reasonable protection (provided you are sure to download the updates).

Kudos0

Ah ... and I was waiting (with Defender) for NIS 2014 to come out and hoping it would work better with W8-64 than the 2013 version ... thank you for your comments.

Kudos0

Hi Delph

u have same problem?

Kudos0

Hi ... yes, unfortunately. We have three computers working on NIS. Mine was bought in December 2012 (Windows8x64) and had nothing but problems until I removed NIS 2013 completely. The other two are still working on NIS 2012 (Vista and W7), no problems. At the end of January 2013, when I removed NIS, I handed over to Defender (with Malwarebytes Pro) for good measure. Touch wood ... but no problems. However, as the subscription is due at the end of October, we are wondering what to do. Renew NIS or give it up as a bad job. Have been using Norton for years ...

Kudos0

Have try again whit start only whit configuration  system  start in windows 8 Burbank whiteout results :(

I'm so sad to not find solution for this problem

Kudos0

I upgraded it yesterday.  Took me about 15min or so.

I have no, no , no issues.

very happy.

My Specs :

Quad Core CPU

5gb RAM

Windows 8 -  Version 6.2  Build 9200

IE 10.0.9200.1660

Works perfect.  All good.  No issues.  Very, very fast  IE  10 explorere  ?

Only question  have is :  NIS is 32 bit or 64 bit   ?

Kudos0

One thing one noticed is :  if this is intentional  or not  ?

In Settings - >  Help,  I do not see About,  so,  I don't know which version I'm running

But,  very,  very  beautifully,  I see "two"  nis.exe  running  as promised

In  and Out firewalls.....so, sweet.....

So beautiful.....

No issues.

Kudos0

U have installed whiteout problem?

I have mb asus pro p8z77 thunderbolt  intel i7 whit 16 gb of ram windows 8 pro 32 before whit nis 2013 no problems never

Kudos0

Yes, Yes, Yes.  No problem.

In one shot.  without re-installing or uninstalling.

It went smooth like silk.

and works perfect.

I was reading this forum and then I checked if there is any new updates available.  It found.

I clicked,  it downloaded and start installing.  The big, big , big news is :  I did not - repeat - did not -  have to restart the computer.....  No isssues,  no tricks nothing.....

Then Once it is done,  it downloaded most likely 1-9 updates and about 100MB file  or 110MB   -  then done.  No restart.

I then checked IE browsing few sites.  Then after making sure, its working,  I did reboot.  Sweet, it came back fine,  no issues.

Then I made to go to sleep mode , wait a while,  click the mouse,  computer wake up,   login,  boom - no problem.

Then I checked  my first priority thing - Outlook.  Boom - no problem,  both send and receive.

Then I went to my bank site,  stock site -  no problem.

So,  I'm good all in all. 

I'm  IT guys - I work in storage industry  - basically Netapp, EMC,  HP lefthand,  Hitachi...  for last 15 yrs.

So, there is NO Wrong with this product. 

Its perfect.  But,  after hearing all of you guys issues,   NOW I'M WORRIED that - Symantec - if mistakenly,  reengineer some code with some update,  then it may make me break......so, needs to be very carefull here.......from Symantec Side.....

It works perfect.  No change needed now.....

Kudos0

Can the users here confirm they are NOT using Win8.1? That is not yet supported.

Kudos0

uregmi wrote:

One thing one noticed is :  if this is intentional  or not  ?

In Settings - >  Help,  I do not see About,  so,  I don't know which version I'm running

But,  very,  very  beautifully,  I see "two"  nis.exe  running  as promised

In  and Out firewalls.....so, sweet.....

So beautiful.....

No issues.

Hi uregmi,

From the main page, go to Support  and then select About from the drop down menu!

Kudos0

peterweb wrote:

Can the users here confirm they are NOT using Win8.1? That is not yet supported.

I am running Windows 8.0 Pro x64, up to date with Windows Update. No beta of either Windows 8.1 or NIS 21 has ever been installed.

Kudos0

OK,  I just cheked and confirm

I'm on

Kudos0

I'm having the same problem, no internet access after installing NIS 21.  I previously had NIS 2013, working with no problems.  My OS installation had some other issues previously so I reinstalled Windows 8 and installed NIS 21 early on and it seemed to work for a while, then after a few restarts (mostly from running Windows Update) I lost internet access.  It seems like I have access for a few seconds after starting Windows then something loads that kills it.  Internet works in safe mode w/networking but I can't make it work in normal mode no matter what I disable.

I have a laptop with Windows 8 Pro that upgraded to NIS 21 without incident, working fine.

I just noticed my motherboard is almost identical to the original poster, Asus P8Z77-V Pro.  One of the things I installed after NIS was the Asus motherboard suite, may try removing that and reinstalling NIS to see what happens.

Kudos1 Stats

I uninstalled Asus Network iControl and the two WiFi programs and reinstalled NIS 21 and everything seems to be working properly now.  I suspect Network iControl was causing the problem.

Kudos0

I use cable LAN. Now u no have problem? Have solved?

Kudos0

Yes I use cable lan also and it is working now.

Kudos1 Stats

gdinero wrote:

I just noticed my motherboard is almost identical to the original poster, Asus P8Z77-V Pro.  One of the things I installed after NIS was the Asus motherboard suite, may try removing that and reinstalling NIS to see what happens.

My motherboard is also an Asus P8Z77-V Pro. I removed Asus Network iControl over a month ago as it was degrading my LAN performance. Sysinternals Process Explorer shows no processes that indicate iControl is still running. I've not tried removing the whole Asus Suite.

There doesn't appear to be anything left that would cause NIS 21 to kill the network. I have the Asus Wi-Fi device and the on-board Intel 82579V disabled. My LAN is running through an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop adapter.

Kudos0

gdinero,

Thanks for sharing that -- you may have hit on the trigger since I have an earlier ASUS M4A78T-E (AM3) motherboard which uses the Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller and to the best of my kinowledge does not use Asus Network iControl.

I'm multibooted with XP SP3 / Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit / Windows 8 Pro 32 bit / Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation 64 bit and with a mix of V19 / V20 and V 21 scattered amongst them -- I"ve not had any failure to access the internet that fits in with what is described in this thread.

Hugh
Accepted Solution
Kudos6 Stats

Okay. I've resolved the problem on my PC. Unfortunately the fix isn't going to be the same for everyone.

My system:

Windows 8.0 Pro x64

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO

Network adapter: Intel Gigabit CT Desktop adapter.

Norton Internet Security 21.0.1.3

Notes (I've not changed any of these settings before or after installing NIS 21):

- Asus Network iControl was uninstalled over a month ago

- The on-board Intel 82579V ethernet adapter is disabled

- The on-board Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 wireless adapter is disabled

Symptom: no network connectivity after installing NIS 21. I had 4 attempts with complete uninstalls between each install, with reboots as prompted. Each time network connectivity was restored following uninstall of NIS and reboot.

Solution: I opened the network adapter settings and noticed one labelled "Applian Lightweight Filter". I unchecked this item:

After saving the change, my network systray icon showed that I was connected to the network again.

Next I looked for the application that installed this. Most recently I had added the "Network Monitor" option to Applian Replay Media Catcher 5.0.1.7. In Media Catcher Settings it is this item (in Media Catcher internet settings):

I looked for the Network Monitor in Windows "Uninstall or change a program":

I uninstalled Applian Network Monitor and rebooted.

I then verified that the "Applian Lightweight Filter" no longer appeared in my network adapter settings.

Result: NIS 21 working fine!

I hope this helps at least 1 person. I certainly agree that Asus Network iControl can be problematic. That's the reason I uninstalled it long ago. If your problem is not caused by Asus Network iControl, or Applian Network Monitor, then I would try unchecking "unusual" items in your network adapter's settings. Be very careful you remember what you've unchecked. If the network doesn't start working again after you've unchecked and saved your settings, recheck the item and try another. If your resolution is different to what's been posted, be sure to post an update so Symantec knows what to fix.

Kudos0

I have try solution of lancea and have solved... Now work good

thanks lancea

Kudos0

Great find lancea.

This may help others with network issues.

Kudos0

I have marked the solution from lancea to help others users with this issue.

Kudos0

Thank you lanacea. In my case the problem was solved by turning off Network iControl in Asus Suite II -- and the Internet connection was restored.

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 Revision 2.0

Kudos0

How can remove asus icontrol?

Kudos0

Cico66 wrote:

How can remove asus icontrol?

You can disable it by opening AI Suite and going to Settings. Simply uncheck "Network iControl". I think that should be sufficient.

Just to be sure, check the System Tray (at the right-hand end of the Windows taskbar) and make sure the iControl icon is no longer showing.

It's a long time since I disabled mine, so I'm not 100% sure of this final step - but if Network iControl is listed in Windows "Uninstall or change a program", you should uninstall it. It may be listed as "Asus Network iControl", "Network iControl", or maybe even just "iControl". 

Kudos0

I had the same problem upgrading to NIS 21 on Windows 8 Pro with an ASUS P8Z77 Pro board. The info on this thread helped me a lot. I just turned the Network iControl tool "OFF" via the the AI Suite II application, rebooted, and ran the NIS upgrade. Everything worked perfectly.

There seems to be some incompatibility between the ASUS Network iControl and NIS 21 on Windows 8 that causes internet access to be totally blocked. I have only experienced the problem with the 64-bit Windows 8 platform. There was no problem upgrading on the 64-bit Windows 7 patform with the Network iControl app turned "ON". 

Hope this helps someone else. 

Kudos0

I've just been uninstalling additional Asus "extras", so can confirm that you can uninstall (not just disable) the unwanted components - such as Network iControl. Go to Windows "Uninstall of change a program"; right-click on "AI Suite II"; select "Uninstall/change"; tick the options you want to uninstall, then click the Uninstall button. Reboot.

Off-topic, but anyone with an Asus board and USB 3.0 ports using the ASMedia drivers will likely find they stop working when you update to Windows 8.1. The fix is to uninstall the Asus USB 3.0 "extras" and reboot.

Ah Asus. Your motherboards are nice, but your utilities - not so much. I've lost so many hours thanks to Network iControl. It not only impacts NIS, but also Intel network cards, and prevents installing the latest Intel NIC drivers.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.