• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 causes Internet Explorer 11 to crash

Hi,

Since the day I installed Windows 8.1 (clean installation) I noticed IE 11 crashing often, increasingly the past two weeks.

I opened the Action Center to try and identify the cause and it appears Norton 360 is responsible. More specifically, the faulty module in about 70% of the cases is " ccSet.dll_unloaded " and the crashes occur mostly when I close the browser or I close tabs.

This is an example of the error report I get:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: IEXPLORE.EXE

Application Version: 11.0.9600.16384

Application Timestamp: 52157231

Fault Module Name: ccSet.dll_unloaded

Fault Module Version: 12.11.0.16

Fault Module Timestamp: 524ccd37

Exception Offset: 0000b874

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.103

Locale ID: 1032

Additional Information 1: 1136

Additional Information 2: 113617799a723215eac2e684cadee0b6

Additional Information 3: 1ada

Additional Information 4: 1ada05a4ec51c5056922c10920f103a7

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: b035ecf48086273a004dc09fda541384 (-392681137)

I've only a few extra add-ons enabled - all from Microsoft, plus Norton Identity Protection and Vulnerability Protection. I've disabled Norton Toolbar since I don't need it and I don't want to waste an extra row on the screen (adding a toolbar).

Any help appreciated!

John

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 causes Internet Explorer 11 to crash

Hi tzon89

Conflict in security software can be the cause of various issues even if the security software has been uninstalled the debris left on the system may not have caused problems until a Norton update has been installed.

What trial security software came with the computer?

What is the version number of your Norton product, you can find this by clicking the Norton icon, click support, hover over, about, on the window that opens, the second line down is the version number.

ATB

intesec

Kudos1 Stats

Hi tzon89,

Can you please open IE 11 Settings and under Advanced choose the option " Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering " . See if it helps.

Also, since it's a BEX error try to disable DEP or add the iexplore.exe processe(s) to the DEP exclusion list.

See my posts here:  http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/ie-and-dep/m-p/1038119

Let me know if those steps solve your issue.

Regards,

Kudos0

The version of my product is 21.1.0.18 - I think it is the latest. You can also see the version of the module on the error report.

My computer is a 2 years old Dell laptop. I have formatted it several times since I bought it and as I mentioned, this is a fresh Windows 8.1 installation. There was no other security software installed prior to Norton.

Kudos0

I'll post back when I try your suggestions, although I don't like the idea of having to change basic default settings for the product to work properly.

Excluding IE from DEP won't decrease security? And disabling hardware acceleration won't make IE a bit slower or decrease battery life?

Thanks,

John

Kudos0

Hi tzon89

The link below has a similar issue and is a Dell computer.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/NIS-2013-V20-2-1-22-ccset-dll-crashing-IE-10-on-Windows-8-x64/td-p/891955

Dell provides a PC diagnostics check it’s the first pictogram on the last line of pictograms on the link below.

There is also the ability to Enter your Service Tag to get started.  When the page loads.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I don't undersand how this could be a Dell issue but I will give it a try.

I'm a little bit cautious though since last week I found out that "My Dell" application was causing a BSOD on my Windows 8.1 system!

Kudos0

<< Since the day I installed Windows 8.1 (clean installation)  ... >>

How did you do your "clean installation" ? You can't download an installation disk for 8.1 but only upgrade from an existing installation although you can buy installation media.

Have you checked that Dell supports Windows 8 / 8.1 on your oldish Dell laptop -- especially all the special files that laptops need for their special functions? Note that many PC makers have had to issue specially updated files for 8.1 even when they had them for 8.0

If you let me know what exact model identification yours is and whether you are using 32 bit or 64 bit Windows and which subversion of Windows 8 -- Core / Pro / Enterprise -- I'll be glad to do some research since I do support on Windows and on hardware elsewhere

Hugh
Kudos0

@ intesec

I tried running the Dell utility and I got a BSOD. I noted this problem previously when I had My Dell (by PC Doctor) installed. It must be a new conflict since it happened out of the blue. Possibly after update installation.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the rest of the software or hardware. I 've also run the sfc /scannow command and all system files appear to be ok.

Kudos0

@ huwyngr

I think you can download a Windows 8.1 installation disc from Microsoft using a valid product key. Look here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Anyway, I downloaded my disc from MSDNAA where my university has subscription - so it is a valid installation media. I performed an advanced installation formatting my hard drive with Windows 8.1 Pro (64bit).

Dell does not include drivers for my laptop (Inspiron M5010 - service tag BS7NSP1) for Windows 8 or 8.1 but all drivers seem to be correctly installed and all keyboard functions work as they should. Everything was working fine for a year with Windows 8. I only have this IE problem now on 8.1 (and the sudden BSOD caused by My Dell program a week ago - I have removed it).

Should I look for any driver specifically?

Thanks,

John

Kudos1 Stats

Thanks for the feedback. I knew of that site but wasn't sure what you got, despite what it says about option to save an ISO, and since you have to have Windows 7 or 8 installed I did no want to go beyond the first stage which downloads a setup.exe package.

I hadn't thought about having a university connection! Lucky man.

Since your laptop does have WIndows 7 64 bit support I can understand if most are OK with Windows 8 although as I said 8.1 does seem to have caused some additional updates to be needed when Windows 8.0 drivers worked OK.

John,

Here's an example from the Dell Forums on just this situation

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19528525.aspx 

I know that this is a different machine but it illustrates what I'm saying and so it may be worth searching in their forums on your specific machine and using Windows 8 on it.

Also not the reference to the drivers built into Windows 8 / 8.1 so it may be worth seeing what Windows Update offers for Hardware updates even although I tend to avoid that source -- but if I can't find them direct from the manufacturer of the device and I have a problem .......

You might look for graphics updates in particular since it is amazing how often I've seen laptops fixed by updating the graphics driver.....

Another diagnostic tool is to go into Internet Explorer / Tools / Internet Options and on the Advanced TAB to click on Reset which cleans out a lot of stuff and disables all add-ons (which you can renable within IE Manage Add-ons). You may want not to clean out cookies to avoid log on problems.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi guys,

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and sorry for taking so long to reply.

I think I've fixed it. The problem appeared to be the graphics card's driver. But it was somewhat more complicated than just updating the drivers: I had to download an old driver (2010) that was specifically designed for my laptop (Dell M5010) and then install it ... the very manual way. Meaning, I had to go through the Device Manager, right click to select "Update Driver), then "Browse my Computer ...",  next "Let me pick from a List ...", click the "Have a disc" button (meaning floppy A: disk!) and then again "Browse" to find and locate a small configuration file within the extracted driver's package, before clicking "Next". The installer would not work in any other way.

It's been more than three days since I applied these changes and IE has crashed only once (which I don't mind), instead of 3~4 times per day. I hope it stays that way!

It is still strange that I have to use old drivers,  but since my PC works fine with them I'm fine with it too.

Kudos0

tzon

Glad you resolved it.

<< I had to download an old driver (2010) that was specifically designed for my laptop (Dell M5010) and then install it ... >>

This is why updating laptops, or changing operating systems on laptops, can be a different kettle of fish to on desktops since even what may seem to be a standard, say graphics, chip on the laptop motherboard may have been tailor made to match a need of that particular make and model. In general don't let Windows Update change hardware drivers unless there is a real need and no alternative.

On the last point I've seen it said in an article recently that with Windows 8.1 hardware manufacturers may have decided not to update the driver and only the one in Windows itself is available.

So I'm glad you resolved it -- do you know how the driver got changed?

Hugh
Kudos0

The old driver was not changed. A new driver was installed automatically by Windows when I formatted my laptop. My laptop came originally with Windows 7. It was working fine later with Windows 8 and the latest graphics' driver. Only now with 8.1 I had to roll back to the old driver due to this IE crashing problem.

Yes, I usually use Windows Update to install optional updates including hardware drivers. I will avoid it from now on or I'll keep in mind it can cause trouble.

Another strange fact is that when I use the original driver my graphics card is recognized as Radeon HD 550v (as it should), but when I install the latest drivers directly from ATI it is recognized as a different model (HD 4xxx , I don't remember exactly)!

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Kudos0

tzon,

Thanks for the additonal information that will help me elsewhere! That rollback feature on drivers is a blessing!

I'm sceptical about the optional ones although I always check them and do use some but things like giving as an update an HP driver package for my LJ2200 printer that came out over a year before and ignoring more recent ones reinforces my hesitation.

Another that I learned the hard way was a Windows 8 update for my MS Mouse and Keyboard that offered a combined driver package called the Mouse Center or something like that which did not support the most essential features of my Microsoft mouse and Microsoft keyboard ...... so I had to backtrack to the Windows 7 version that works perfectly ....

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.