• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos2 Stats

NortonInternetSecurityBF Keeps Crashing

I have two Macs running Lion. On each, very frequently when I am using Firefox I receive the message "The NortonInternetSecurityBF plugin has crashed" If I click "Reload Page", it usually crashes again, often in a matter of a few seconds. Any ideas on what's causing the problem, and what can be done about it? Thanks for your replies.

<script id="ncoEventScript" type="text/javascript">// function DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) { object.DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url);} }; function Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url); }; function NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url); } function Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url); }; // </script>

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NortonInternetSecurityBF Keeps Crashing

Hi boneman,

Sorry about the problem.  Can you please brief about the instance of crash?  Does the crash occur to specific website access?

Haridharan Nattamai Gangadharan Sr. Software Engineer Endpoint Protection for Mac Symantec
Kudos0

I have the same problem, running OS-X Mavericks and Firefox 25.0.1. It does not seem to occur in specific sites, but happens all the time.

It already happened in the previous version of Firefox.

<script id="ncoEventScript" type="text/javascript">// function DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) { object.DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url);} }; function Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url); }; function NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url); } function Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url); }; // </script>
Kudos0

I've checked the plugin in Firefox and it reports to be NortonInternetSecurityBF 2.6.1 with BrowserFramework 1.7.0.

Kudos0

Can you please list if you have any extensions on Firefox being installed. We weren't able to reproduce it successfully.
Haridharan Nattamai Gangadharan Sr. Software Engineer Endpoint Protection for Mac Symantec
Kudos0

I'm trying to send you a pdf file with screen captures but I get the error message "the contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."  Could you please help me?

Thanks.

Kudos0

I just sent you a private message on the posting the screenshot.

Kudos0

I'm having the same problem with the same version of those components.

Kudos0

I'm not sure if this information will help.  Got it in Console:

MacOS/libmozglue.dylib
  com.symantec.NortonInternetSecurityBF    1.7.0 (37)    <DFDBBC6C-6C95-9655-6820-C65B6161BA1C>    /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/NortonInternetSecurityBF.plugin/Contents/MacOS/NortonInternetSecurityBF
  com.symantec.NortonSafeSurfing    2.6.1 (40)    <C54C5793-23E5-B022-6646-FAD23606C686>

Kudos0

Copy of Mozilla crash report attached.

Kudos0

Hi, Haridharan,

Any news about NIS BF crashes?

All the best,

Ney Serrao

<script id="ncoEventScript" type="text/javascript">// Allfunction DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) { object.DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url);} }; function Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url); }; function NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url); } function Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url); }; // </script>

Kudos0

I still have the same issue and I've not heard from Norton for a long time.  Could you please inform if there's an investigation going on or if Norton has given up?

Thanks a lot.

Kudos0

Any news? This issue was first reported one month ago and there is no solution up to now. We don't hear from Norton since Nov. 20th.

Kudos0

I uninstalled and reinstalled and it seems to have fixed it.

Kudos0

Please tell me exactly what you have uninstalled and reinstalled. I'm having NortonInternetSecurity BF crashes since many time ago and Norton seems to have left this matter behind.

Thank you.

Kudos0

Hello neyserrao

We are sorry for the inconvenience. I'd like to get some more information from you about these crashes. 

Are there any websites in particular where you see these crashes often ? It will be really helpful if we could get this information. 

Thank you,

Harsha

Kudos0

I am running Mac OS Mavericks (10.9.1) on a MacBook Retina, and when I use Firefox (26.0) I keep getting that error message: NortonInternetSecurityBF has Crashed ... As far as I can saym there is no particular website linked to this error: happens all the time ... AND looks like I'm not the only one experiencing this problem! It's really annoying!!! Any solution???

Kudos0

Once again I apologize for the inconveniece. I've asked some of our engineers to try and reproduce the issue in house. 

However, should you come across a pattern or a list of websites that cause the crash please let us know. Thank you! 

Kudos0

In reply to your question: while the crash occurs with several websites, i noticed that it occurs regularly when I open Facebook.

Btw, when I connect to Norton Community with Firefox:

- I first receive a message stating that Firefox has blocked some of the content because it's not safe (further information states that: This website does not supply ownership information; and that the connection is only partially encrypted), and then gives me the choice of allowing that content;

- moreover, Firefox gives me a second warning, stating that NortonInternetSecurityBF is enabled on your site and asking whether I want to continue allowing the plug-in or block it

There clearly seems to be an issue between NortonInternetSecurityBF and the Firefox 26.0 security system

Kudos0

Hello, Harsha

Unfortunately I can't identify any pattern that could help you to reproduce this issue.

It doesn't seem to be associated with visiting specific sites. Now I'm using Firefox 27.0 and it still occurs.

Best regards,

Ney

Kudos0

Today I've uninstalled and reinstalled Norton Internet Security for Mac.  The same issue has just occurred when I had four tabs open in Firefox: coursera.org, google advanced search and two tabs at http://www.imdb.com.

As I said before, I can't observe any pattern that could help you to find the problem.

Unfortunately we have had this unsolved issue for almost 4 months.

Kudos0

Hi Neyserrao,

We are working on fixing this issue.  In the mean time can you please do the following and attach some of the crash logs here.

1.  Launch Terminal application from /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

2.  Copy and paste the below command in terminal and press enter/return.

MOZ_CRASHREPORTER_DISABLE=1 /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

3.  Browser the websites which can probably crash.

4.  When a crash occurs a new crash log will be created at ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ with the name begining plugin-container.

5.  Attach 3 or 4 crash logs in the forum.

Kudos0

Hi, Haridharan!

Thank you for the hint.

I will follow your instructions and as soon as I have a few logs I´ll post it.

Regards,

Ney

Kudos0

Dear Haridharan

I'm attaching a pdf with 10 crash reports for you. I have plenty more if you want. It would really be nice if this problem was given some priority, which it evidently isn't at the moment.

Kudos0

Sorry, ignore the file "Crash Reports 1-10" if you want more crash reports and go for "Crash Reports 1-12" instead. Only just realised "Crash Reports 1-12" managed to attached after initially being bounced for being too large even though it was right on the 2mb limit.

Kudos0

Hi, Haridharan,

Please find attached one crash report obtained exactly as suggested in your message dated Mar 10th.

Regards,

Ney

Kudos0

Thank you very much for the logs.  We consider this as a high priority and working on a fix.

Kudos0

I don't know if this can help, but it seems (although I'm not sure that all crashes were this way) that, after I reinstalled NIS, crashes occur when I close a tab (Cmd + W).

All the best,

Ney

Kudos0

Hello, Haridharan!

Please find attached one more crash log.

Regards,

Ney

I'm having the same issue I've had some time ago: "file type doesn't match file extension" (or something like this).

I'll send you the file by email.

<script id="ncoEventScript" type="text/javascript">//

function DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) { object.DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url);} }; function Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url); }; function NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url); } function Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url); }; //

</script>

Kudos0

Hi, Haridharan

Please find attached another crash log file.

Today I noticed that when I sign out from my webmail (globo.com) I get a crash.  This used to happen from time to time, but today I observed the crash every time.

I hope this can help to find the cause of this annoying issue.

Regards,

Ney

Kudos0

Thanks Ney,

The logs you have shared were very useful and we have potentially found the issue.  We are working on the fix/testing and at this moment I can't really say when you can expect the update exactly.  However, it should be available sooner.

Kudos0

Hi, Haridharan,

I'm happy to know that you are closer to fixing this issue and happy too because it seems that I could help you in any way.

I hope to hear good news from you soon.

Best regards,

Ney

Kudos0

Hi, Haridharan

Unfortunately it seems that Symantec team hasn't found a solution for this annoying issue.

Although I believe that Symantec support team is working on this problem, I'm disappointed with the very long time with no solution.

I hope we can have a fix soon.

Best regards,

Ney

Kudos0

What's the update on this? Come on Symantec! This has been going on a long time, and we need your help.  I get the error message, "NortonInternetSecurityBF has crashed" multiple times a day across numerous websites.  I hit report crash almost every time.  Work with Mozilla and FIX this! It makes me want my money back.  VERY annoying!

Kudos0

Although I know that messages regarding this annoying issue should be posted on this thread, I've opened a new one, in

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-for-Mac/NortonInternetSecurity-crashes-in-Firefox/td-p/1134808

to see if someone in Symantec pays attention to this long lasting bug.

I don't know if Symantec support team is not capable of fixing it or if is simply neglecting it.

Whichever the answer, I think it's unacceptable.  That's not the way customers should be treated.

Kudos0

Always suspected this was a low priority issue for Symmantec. Shocking really. Until the issue is picked up by an opinion shaping tech mag or blog, looks like we are stuffed. Not renewing my subscription.

Kudos0

What is with this issue?  I have the same problem on the product I purchased 2 days ago.  It seems as if it is still not solved.  I have read through all the threads dated back to Nov 2013.  This is terrible support.

Please is there further progress on resolving this bug?

Kudos0

I too am "enjoying" these crashes.  Mavericks on an iMac.  I often run Safari and Firefox side-by-side.  Seems like when I have 3 or more tabs open in Firefox, the error will appear on more than one of the pages.  No particular feeling for what pages on which the error can occur.  Not sure what to do or how to report.  I always click on the "send an error report" button, but I never hear any feedback.  Are these reports just hanging around my system, or do they actually go to Symantec and get looked at?  This annoying issue has been going on for quite a while.  Never see these on Safari, by the way.  Thanks.

Kudos0

It seems that Norton is not concerned about this "enjoyable" issue. The first report was in November 2013. I'm considering to organize an anniversary party next November.
Kudos0

Hi All, I just installed new norton last month and have same crashes with firefox appearing in all open Firefox tabs (its independent from website) on my Imac. employees from Norton: hnattamai and sriharshaA who were dealing with this issue had all best intentions in my opinion. Only they are obviously not supported by their manager and management in general. Norton prob lacks an efficient service request process, otherwise this case wouldnt be open for so long, AND get promises that its urgent within Norton but eventually not solved. So with this message I hope hnattamai and sriharshaA will step to their manager and if they are not-responsive go to their manager etc until you reach the CEO! Good luck guys you have my full support and backup as a customer

Kudos0

So does anyone know if Norton (Symantec) has any plans to fix this issue.  This is not due to any specific Website or other add on in firefox.  This occurs at random as if it has a mind of its own and is highly annoying.  Symantec what are you doing to resolve this issue?  It has been going on for more than a year.

Kudos0

After a whole year of patiently waiting for it to be resolved, thank god I've now turned my back on this nonsensical attitude towards user of Norton Internet Securities. Bitdefender works like a dream!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.