• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos4 Stats

dub_cm_auto

By accident I came across this today as it was just created this afternoon:

I now have a user called "dub_cm_auto" in C:\Users on both my laptop and desktop.  The desktop version was created at 1:16 PM today and the laptop was created at 1:25 PM.  Within the directory exists another directory called Application Data and within that is contained NPE.EXE with a Date Modified of 4/22/2014 8:13 AM and size of 3,653 KB.

I searched Google and only got 7! hits all in Japanese.  Using translate, they all asked kind of the same question as mine will be.

Is this a true Symantec install?  If so, what is it and what is it for.  Otherwise, is this some malware?

Thanks in advance.

K.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: dub_cm_auto

I now have a user called "dub_cm_auto" in C:\Users on both my laptop and desktop.  The desktop version was created at 1:16 PM today and the laptop was created at 1:25 PM.  Within the directory exists another directory called Application Data and within that is contained NPE.EXE with a Date Modified of 4/22/2014 8:13 AM and size of 3,653 KB.

I searched Google and only got 7! hits all in Japanese.  Using translate, they all asked kind of the same question as mine will be.

Is this a true Symantec install?  If so, what is it and what is it for.  Otherwise, is this some malware?

Thanks in advance.

K.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi,

NPE did update today and after reading your post I now have that folder too, so I hope it is legit!

I've asked for some information on this.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos1 Stats

Same Ditto here as you mentioned. Symantec should have a look at it.

Kudos1 Stats

CtrlAltDel63 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

K.

My Auto LU at 07.27 BST shows NPE update "success" 3.41MB. About the same time as "C:\Users\dub_cm_auto" appeared.

Be safe out there !
The Silver Surfer.
AK

Kudos0

Got the same folder - to have this created in 'Users' is disturbing to say the least - is there a response yet? Be nice to know.

Kudos0

roastingspuds wrote:

Got the same folder - to have this created in 'Users' is disturbing to say the least - is there a response yet? Be nice to know.

It also happened on my NIS PC.

All I got from Norton Admin, don't post in both "boards". Really helpful !

I'm no great aficionado of Cyber Space.
No, FACEBOOK, no GAMES, no SMART PHONE,
no SMART TV, no TABLET, no TWITTER.
I travel light, embracing the extreme minimum reaches of SOCIAL NETWORKING. What I do possess is a grasp of hands-on chip technology, from 8-bit onwards; dating back before BBC MICRO, COMMODORE-64, ZX-Spectrum, and the birth of the Domestic Internet.
I cast no shadow, and leave no footprint on the firmament of the e-Galaxy.
My "Disk Activity LED" has more use of my PC, than I do.
"ANALOGUE": the exclusive, perpetually enduring, logic platform. AK.

Kudos0

photo762 wrote:

roastingspuds wrote:

It also happened on my NIS PC.

All I got from Norton Admin, don't post in both "boards". Really helpful !

I'm no great aficionado of Cyber Space.
No, FACEBOOK, no GAMES, no SMART PHONE,
no SMART TV, no TABLET, no TWITTER.
I travel light, embracing the extreme minimum reaches of SOCIAL NETWORKING. What I do possess is a grasp of hands-on chip technology, from 8-bit onwards; dating back before BBC MICRO, COMMODORE-64, ZX-Spectrum, and the birth of the Domestic Internet.
I cast no shadow, and leave no footprint on the firmament of the e-Galaxy.
My "Disk Activity LED" has more use of my PC, than I do.
"ANALOGUE": the exclusive, perpetually enduring, logic platform. AK.

If you want to be taken seriously and have people read what you post it would be a good idea and courteous of you to not ornament your text in this way. If thatlast bit is your sig line ...... PLEASE do respect us here.

Hugh
Kudos1 Stats

Got the same folder - to have this created in 'Users' is disturbing to say the least!!

Me to - on 3 machines - all of a sudden yesterday around 08;30z when the machines were not in use??

Hope Norton Norton are on to this. If it's genuine it's just bad form. If it's maliciopus HELP PLEASE

Peter

Kudos3 Stats

All,

This issue should be resolved now. There was a problem with the LiveUpdate file that was published earlier.

Please let us know if you continue to see the issue.

Regards,

Nate C.

Kudos0

"

This issue should be resolved now. There was a problem with the LiveUpdate file that was published earlier.

Please let us know if you continue to see the issue."

And what about users already having this file, should we delete it or a future patch will do that??

Thanks.

Regards,

Kudos1 Stats

Apostolos wrote:

"

Please let us know if you continue to see the issue."

And what about users already having this file, should we delete it or a future patch will do that??

Thanks.

Regards,

Have you run LU again and gotten the same result?

Kudos0

" Have you run LU again and gotten the same result?"

Hi yank,

For me the NPE LU was successfully installed yesterday, but it's not clear for me if the dub_cm_auto was correctly supposed to be created or it was erroneously created.

That's why I need extra info, if I should delete the file or leave it happy inside my pc.

Thanks for any additional info provided.

Regards,

Kudos0

And for completeness - I have run Live update until there is no more and I still have the folders in User and still have NPE.exe in there.

So I think that Apostolos' question appears valid.  Though I would assume that I can safely delete them.

Mike
Kudos0

IMHO - if that is worth anything - the problem that I asked Norton about this AM was because some users could not download the NPE.Exe update - my question did not ask about the validity of the folder being there - but rather the inability to download it.  I plan on leaving mine right where it is until Norton says something about deleting it - or works their magic and deletes it for us.

Just my 2¢.

Kudos0

That seems a very sensible decision Yank.

Not that I would expect anything else from you... 

Mike
Kudos0

If you want to be taken seriously and have people read what you post it would be a good idea and courteous of you to not ornament your text in this way. If thatlast bit is your sig line ...... PLEASE do respect us here.

Hugh. "Rich Text" grabs your attention, and solicits a response. Alright, not always the expected response. "Rich Text" never disrespected anybody, and I disrespect no one ?

Back to the original query: "C:\Users\dub_cm_auto" folder.
I've LU'd and the NPE.EXE has changed. It appears in:-
C:\ProgramData\Norton\{36-characters}\N360_21.1.1.7\NPE.EXE (Version 4.3.0.13).

This still leaves the C:\Users\dub_cm_auto folder on the harddisk.

Be safe out there !
The Silver Surfer.
AK

Kudos0

". "Rich Text" grabs your attention, and solicits a response. Alright, not always the expected response"

Well, it depends of the author....

Kudos0

photo762 wrote:

Back to the original query: "C:\Users\dub_cm_auto" folder.
I've LU'd and the NPE.EXE has changed. It appears in:-
C:\ProgramData\Norton\{36-characters}\N360_21.1.1.7\NPE.EXE (Version 4.3.0.13).

This still leaves the C:\Users\dub_cm_auto folder on the harddisk.

We are still waiting to hear information about this folder.

Edit: I've just checked this machine and NPE is still located at C:\Users...

Kudos3 Stats

Nate_c, thank you for the response.  I glad to hear that the “issue” has been resolved with the LiveUpdate file.

And, yes, I continue to have the problem.  I still have NPE.EXE in:

C:\Users\dub_cm_auto\Application Data

I have checked via NET USER, through User Profile and finally Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups that “dub_cm_auto” does not exist.  It does NOT.

However, it does exist here:

“HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache”,

“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache”,

“HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3551668584-2850061486-4083193626-1000\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache”,

“HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3551668584-2850061486-4083193626-1000_Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache” as:

[Name]C:\Users\dub_cm_auto\Application Data\NPE.exe

[Type] REG_SZ

[Data] Norton Power Eraser

So my question is:  What is the remediation to properly remove the file/directory/user and above registry entries from my system?

Thank you in advance.

K.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Nate C.;  Both mine and my wife's computers have this same file designation.  Another party asked if we should delete it or will there be a patch issued from you folks to take care of this???? Thanks, Vince

Kudos0

Nate_C, I have NIS -NOT- 360 installed on all my systems and LU pushed this NPE.EXE (unsolicited) to all my NIS systems yesterday as well --- in the process it also created the aforementioned screwball-named shadow user.  So now what?  Is Notron going to push a remedy for this goof-up?

Kudos0

avjohnnie wrote:

Nate_C, I have NIS -NOT- 360 installed on all my systems and LU pushed this NPE.EXE (unsolicited) to all my NIS systems yesterday as well --- in the process it also created the aforementioned screwball-named shadow user.  So now what?  Is Norton going to push a remedy for this goof-up?

avjohnnie.

I fired up my NIS PC today. LU installed the NPE.EXE in the following folder:-

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{36-characters}\NIS_21.1.1.7\NPE.EXE (Version 4.3.0.13)

The C:\Users\dub_cm_auto\Application Data\NPE.EXE, still lives on my harddisk.

I'm rather intrigued, as to where you're seeing shadow user, if you would post a location. Cheers !

Be safe out there !
The Silver Surfer.
AK. [ "adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit". OVID ]

Kudos0

I am not sure if my issue relates to the problem described above but today (for the first time) I am experiencing the problem to download latest protection. Problem was with downloading of Norton Reputation Revocation List with the following error information:
Norton 360
Error: 8920, 223
Windows 7 Professional
7601.18247.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532
Norton Autofix: 0 items

Edit: I have restarted pc but it doesn't solve my problem.

Edit2: OK, it seems to be solved now. It was probably temporary problem with connection to Symantec update servers.

Kudos1 Stats

All,

The folder and is contents that was created with this LiveUpdate are uneccessary and can safely be deleted.

The Multilingual User Interface registry keys (MUICache) can be left behind without concern. These entries get created by the OS whenever you run an application. Even if you delete the entries, they will repopulate the next time NPE is launched.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Nate C.

Kudos0

" The Multilingual User Interface registry keys (MUICache) can be left behind without concern. These entries get created by the OS whenever you run an application. Even if you delete the entries, they will repopulate the next time NPE is launched."

Hi Nate_C,

I have some questions in order to avoid confusions:

1. Please provide the exact path for the files to be safely deleted.

2. The additional registry entries created, will they be removed, if a user decides to uninstall NIS, I mean will the uninstaller will do it or a manual removal will be required??

Thank you for answering.

Regards,

Kudos0

Apostolos,

The folder c:\users\dub_cm_auto  can be deleted assuming it was put there only by LiveUpdate. You can check the folder creation date to confirm it was created by the LiveUpdate session. 

The MUICache registry keys get created by the OS whenever an application is accessed. My understanding is that they typically don't get purged automatically but can be removed manually or via a utility. 

I found more information about this here- http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/muicache_view.html

Regards,

Nate C

Kudos1 Stats

Did I miss something or are we still waiting for Symantec to at least say "sorry all - we ascrewed up big time and caused a whole world of worry and frustration".  Who do we all bill for our time??

Kudos0

photo762 wrote:

avjohnnie wrote:

Nate_C, I have NIS -NOT- 360 installed on all my systems and LU pushed this NPE.EXE (unsolicited) to all my NIS systems yesterday as well --- in the process it also created the aforementioned screwball-named shadow user.  So now what?  Is Norton going to push a remedy for this goof-up?

avjohnnie.

I fired up my NIS PC today. LU installed the NPE.EXE in the following folder:-

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{36-characters}\NIS_21.1.1.7\NPE.EXE (Version 4.3.0.13)

The C:\Users\dub_cm_auto\Application Data\NPE.EXE, still lives on my harddisk.

I'm rather intrigued, as to where you're seeing shadow user, if you would post a location. Cheers !

Be safe out there !
The Silver Surfer.
AK. [ "adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit". OVID ]

I was referring to the "C:\Users\dub_cm_auto" folder.  I called it "shadow user" because there is no "visible" correlating "Windows User Account" associated with the folder.

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Nate_C wrote:

Apostolos,

The folder c:\users\dub_cm_auto  can be deleted assuming it was put there only by LiveUpdate. You can check the folder creation date to confirm it was created by the LiveUpdate session. 

The MUICache registry keys get created by the OS whenever an application is accessed. My understanding is that they typically don't get purged automatically but can be removed manually or via a utility. 

I found more information about this here- http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/muicache_view.html

Regards,

Nate C

@Nate_C 

Hi Nate,

The problem is though that NPE is now located at c:\users\dub_cm_auto on my two machines, so do you still think deleting that folder is safe?

Kudos0

Krusty13,

Yes, it will be safe to delete the folder and NPE from these machines. When you run LiveUpdate from within N360 or NIS, if there is a newer version of NPE, it will download it. (current version of NPE is 4.3.0.13)

If you ever need to download Norton Power Eraser manually, you can download it directly from our website.

https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx

Regards,

Nate C.

Kudos0

@Nate_C 

Sorry for being dumb - but if the NPE.EXE in Program Data is the current version - shouldn't it be left alone?

Or is there another NPE.exe located somewhere else that is used in the GUI of NIS, N360,NSS under Run Scans areas??

Kudos1 Stats

I just deleted the dub_cm_auto folder from my two machines and I still have NPE and can, but WILL NOT run scans with it.  Perhaps the old version is still on my system.

I would like to know why the dub_cm_auto folder was created in the first place.

Kudos0

Yank,

That is correct, NIS and N360 download NPE to their own directory.

Photo762 mentions the directory on page 2 of this thread.

"...I've LU'd and the NPE.EXE has changed. It appears in:-
C:\ProgramData\Norton\{36-characters}\N360_21.1.1.7\NPE.EXE (Version 4.3.0.13).."

You may need to explore the directory structure on your machine to find the exact location it exists on your machine.

Regards,

Nate C.

Kudos0

Nate_C wrote:

Yank,

That is correct, NIS and N360 download NPE to their own directory.

Photo762 mentions the directory on page 2 of this thread.

"...I've LU'd and the NPE.EXE has changed. It appears in:-
C:\ProgramData\Norton\{36-characters}\N360_21.1.1.7\NPE.EXE (Version 4.3.0.13).."

You may need to explore the directory structure on your machine to find the exact location it exists on your machine.

Regards,

Nate C.

So since I have the NPE.exe (V4.3.0.13) in C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_21.1.1.7\NPE.Exe should I or should I not remove it?

It sounds to me like this one (NPE.exe) needs to stay and the dub_cm_auto is the one that needs removal.

Kudos0

Krusty,

There was a publishing error with the NPE update. The LiveUpdate extraction script extracted NPE.exe to the dub_cm_auto directory instead of the intended directory under ProgramData\Norton...

Regards,

Nate C.

Kudos1 Stats

Yank,

You can remove the version of NPE from the c:\users\dub_cm_auto path. 

The one in the ProgramData path should be left alone.

Regards,

Nate C.

Kudos0

I was referring to the "C:\Users\dub_cm_auto" folder.  I called it "shadow user" because there is no "visible" correlating "Windows User Account" associated with the folder.

Kind regards,

John

John.

Thanks for the info. SHADOW USER, sorted ! AK

So since I have the NPE.exe (V4.3.0.13) in C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_21.1.1.7\NPE.Exe should I or should I not remove it?

It sounds to me like this one (NPE.exe) needs to stay and the dub_cm_auto is the one that needs removal.

YANK.

To find all your NPE.EXE files. In Windows Explorer (or equivalent) Computer, do an Advanced Search with "non-indexed, hidden, and system files" for NPE.EXE. The "properties" of each NPE found will indicate the version. The 4.3.0.13 is the downloaded current version.

I'm leaving the C:\ProgramData\Norton root/branch, and deleting the C:\Users\dub_cm_auto root/branch

Be safe out there !
The Silver Surfer. AK.

Kudos1 Stats

Manually delete? How many computers do we have? Let's see....

Surely Symantec can do better than this for a solution, really (!). You put it there by mistake, please get rid of it for us with the next Live Update.

Kudos1 Stats

Dear members,

I've also asked, when someone uninstalls NIS if the misplaced folders and registry entries are removed by the NIS uninstaller and got the reply that it needs to be done manually or using a third party utility!

The great fun will be when the next NIS version upgrade or update will be released and the product will malfunction or even cause OS troubles.

I'm not satisfied with the responses provided by Nate_C, so far, and I want him or someone else, assuming full responsibility and giving his FULL name, to write here in the forum what exact registry entries must be manually deleted or if Symantec wil release a patch in order to fix it for us.

Thanks.

Regards,

Kudos1 Stats

Apostolos,

Are you having any specific problems or seeing any errors running NIS or NPE at this time? 

Copying a portable exectuble to your hard drive like NPE should not have caused any adverse effects. Neither should deleting it.

Feel free to PM me if you are having problems or have any other concerns. 

Regards,

Nate C

Kudos0

Possibly a dumb question, but is it safe to leave the dub_cm_auto folder there? I don't like it, but I'm a bit twitchy at the thought of manually deleting anything put there by Norton.

Oddly enough, I wouldn't have noticed it but for the fact that NPE.exe showed up in my Community Watch entries as a sample submission.

Kudos0

Not dumb at all. That's my attitude too ..... like cleaning the registry it's better left alone ......

If it were harmful I'm sure Norton would put a bit of code in the next update to fix it, just like Microsoft do when they issue a "compatibility update to deal with the effects of a previous update ....." <g>

Of course then people would be complaining that it was there and had disappeared and terrible things were going to happen!

What was the story about the sky is falling .... ?

Hugh
Kudos1 Stats

An obvious question hasn't been asked here, I think.  While the sight of an unfamiliar folder popping up in my users folder is obviously unsettling, disruptive, disturbing, unprofessional, incompetent and unnerving, nevertheless I have yet to read anything here to the effect that it is in any way dangerous.  I have yet to read word one that indicates it is necessary for me waste my time taking any action whatsoever.  Do I?

There's been a lot of energy expended in this thread on the question of whether or not it's safe/O.K. to delete the folder and/or the NPE.exe file inside it.

My question is a very simple one:  Is it safe/O.K. NOT to delete the folder?  If it is, I'd just as soon not fix what ain't broke.  If I started chasing down and deleting every darn little file that I never use, purely on the slim possibility that it might pose a danger under some far-fetched set of circumstances, I'd be dead before I got anything else done.  It doesn't seem a useful use of my time.  Is it?

Just to be clear:   Obviously Norton is guilty of gross and completely unprofessional incompetence and needs to proactively pump out to its user base an unqualified apology along with meticulously SPECIFIC instructions as to what we need to do now or, alternately, needs to make meticulously CLEAR that NOTHING actually HAS to be done.

But in the meantime, I think we're entitled to know, very simply, does this screwed-up unnecessary additional folder require any manual corrective action on the part of Norton users?  Does it pose a threat?  Do we need to delete it?  Well?

Kudos2 Stats

I must be missing something here..

There seem to be two issues.

Software being placed in the User area:- 

Norton made a mistake, and one perfectly valid piece of software produced by Norton to be used, free, by customers, was placed inadvertently in the wrong place on users computers.  If tracked it down and activated by user it would thoroughly check their devices for malware, if not, nothing would happen.  Norton have told us that we may delete the folders and files if we want to.

and -some unnecessary entries being put into the registry:-  

Which gets lots of info put in it all the time.  Norton have told us that it has no effect other than slightly increasing the size of the already large registry.  They have also told us how to delete them if we want.

As far as I can see, Norton made a mistake, most of us make lots of mistakes, I certainly do.  As soon as Norton were aware of the mistake they checked and came back here fairly quickly (I seem to remember something about it being a holiday period) and advised us what the situation was.

Now to me, this is a potentially good learning experience for Norton, but why some poor hapless employee who has come here to help try and explain what has happened and what we might do, should be expected to give his full name to be castigated by users - escapes me.

There, that was too long a post, and probably just another of my mistakes, but I feel better for posting it.

All the best to you all.  I hope that there are no more troubling aberrations on your systems in the future.  

Mike
Kudos0

dub_cm_auto. I figured it had something to do with the Norton engine. Auto ? Engine ?  Geddit ? 

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

"

and -some unnecessary entries being put into the registry:-  

Which gets lots of info put in it all the time.  Norton have told us that it has no effect other than slightly increasing the size of the already large registry.  They have also told us how to delete them if we want."

Andmike,

Unless I'm blind, the only info I see about the registry keys is this: (described by a Norton employee, not user).

So it's not clear, at least for me and my low-level knowledge, which keys are to be deleted.

It was my mistake to comment on this thread, I should have only asked the exact registry keys to be deleted, that's all.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Kudos0

This folder is in my Documents and Settings as of today.  (windows XP)  May it be deleated?  Incidentally I'm new to our Norton 360 Premier Edition and don't know whe LiveUpdate occures or what action sets  it up.  Please advise.

Kudos0

Hi GeneR.

I am no expert but I will try and give a quick answer.  I believe that the folder referred to in the title of this thread may be safely deleted with all its contents.

As for Live Update - it should normally run in the background to keep all parts of N360 uptodate (both definitions and software).  And normally you would not have to worry about it (though you can choose to force it to run at any point if you wish).  Sadly on this occasion something went wrong and the folder etc. appeared where they should not have been.

I hope that helps and puts your mind a little more at ease.

Mike
Kudos0

Gene,

Andmike knows what he is talking about but my simplicistic approach is to follow the instruction given to Cricket Umpires:

When in Doubt, say Not Out ....

From what I understand Norton have said, it is not harmful .... so unless you are desperately short of drive space (in which case you need to install a larger one since they are not expensive these days) or unless something misbehaves and you have evidence that it is caused by this extraneous folder I would leave it alone ....

Hugh
Kudos0

I've had a delve into my NIS Secured PC. Computer, C:\, and a search of the Registry. I found nothing unfavorable; so I've DELETED FOLDER:- dub_cm_auto\********** ****\NPE.exe. Rebooted my PC a couple of times, ALL OK ! Now let's see what pans out.

If my NIS Secured PC implodes and self destructs, I'll have to let you all know on my N360 SECURED PC. Happy Days !

Be safe out there !
The Silver Surfer.
AK. "adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit". OVID

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.