• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

IE freezes

If I allow either the toolbar/identity protection or vulnerability protection to load into IE within a minute IE freezes for a few minutes. This process continues until I disable them and restart IE. I confirmed the problem is with the Norton products. I disabled everything but the Norton products and the freezing continued. Then I disabled the Norton products with everything else enabled and everything is fine. I am using Vista 64 bit with IE 9 with the latest versions. My Norton 360 is also updated. As a side note it is funny how Norton's own product will not work with their own site for storing the password. I have to enter it in myself. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: IE freezes

If I allow either the toolbar/identity protection or vulnerability protection to load into IE within a minute IE freezes for a few minutes. This process continues until I disable them and restart IE. I confirmed the problem is with the Norton products. I disabled everything but the Norton products and the freezing continued. Then I disabled the Norton products with everything else enabled and everything is fine. I am using Vista 64 bit with IE 9 with the latest versions. My Norton 360 is also updated. As a side note it is funny how Norton's own product will not work with their own site for storing the password. I have to enter it in myself. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi,

Before doing anything else, make sure that you are running the 32-bit version of IE 9.

I'm on W7 x64 and I remember that when I used IE 9 there were 2 entries for IE 9 in Start Menu/All Programs.

Norton is incompatible, at least some features like Vulnerability Protection, with the 64 bit versions of IE 9, IE 10 & IE11.

Regards,

Kudos0

Hi DwayneH,

Please tell us if you have any other Security Program running in real-time besides Norton.  If you do it could cause a conflict and if you disable Norton with the other still running, then all will be fine - but by the same token if you would disbale the other product and leave Norton running - all would be fine also.  So that means we need to know what other security programs you may have installed - even perhaops a trial version of something.

Kudos0

I am using the 32 bit IE. There are no other security programs running. The freezing started a few months ago. There were no problems before then.

Kudos0

Hi,DwayneH. Have you tried resetting IE to defaults ?

In IE 10 which is what I have, it's in Tools/Internet Options/Advanced, and at the bottom of the page the option to reset.

Are you running any extra addons, which may be causing conflicts in IE ?

Windows 10 Home X64 Norton Security Premium---Current
Kudos0

I kept everything but the 3 norton add ons from loading and the freezing continues. If I keep the norton add ons from loading there are no problems. It is the norton add ons. There is no doubt it is a Norton problem. I guess I will have to uninstall Norton and just buy another brand. I just paid for Norton a few months ago so this sucks. I would try their customer support but they always deny that it is a Norton problen and they don't speak English very well. No help there.

Kudos0

DwayneH wrote:

I kept everything but the 3 norton add ons from loading and the freezing continues. If I keep the norton add ons from loading there are no problems. It is the norton add ons. There is no doubt it is a Norton problem. I guess I will have to uninstall Norton and just buy another brand. I just paid for Norton a few months ago so this sucks. I would try their customer support but they always deny that it is a Norton problen and they don't speak English very well. No help there.

Hi,
Have you run any other scans to see if there might be another player in this game?

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

and

http://superantispyware.com/

are only two of the possibles. I'm running IE10 with W7x64 and do not see the same problem.

Keep us posted

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

I have run superantispyware. I do not have the real time version so it does not interfere with Norton. No problems there. I wonder if the problem is with Norton making Identity Safe a seperate product? Maybe it does not work well with 360? I never had any problems with 360 until the new version.

Kudos0

DwayneH wrote:

I have run superantispyware. I do not have the real time version so it does not interfere with Norton. No problems there. I wonder if the problem is with Norton making Identity Safe a seperate product? Maybe it does not work well with 360? I never had any problems with 360 until the new version.

Hi,

I have 360 with ID safe included running on a test system and have not seen any problems. After any install / upgrade / update be sure to reboot. It isn't always specified but it does seem to help get all of the ducks back in a row.

Keep us posted

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

It has been freezing up for about 3 months. I kept hoping there would be a fix but it never happened so I came here.

Kudos0

Hi, Dwayne. There is no reason that 360 wouldn't work with IE 9. It's meant to be backwards compatible.

Perhaps a Windows Update may have changed things and affected compatibility.

You may want to try the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool, which will freshen up your 360 product.

Then we'll know that you have a clean copy.  http://www.norton.com/nrnr

It's a fairly quick process, so please read the Before you begin note at the top of the download page, and run Live Update after, until no more are found.

Reboot anyway, and see if that fixes the problem. Let us know how you go.

Windows 10 Home X64 Norton Security Premium---Current
Kudos0

I downloaded the uninstall tool and was about to run it when I decided to uninstall Identity Safe first. After removing it and restarting my computer I decided to check to see if Identity Safe was still there. It was but it was uninstalled. My computer seems to be running ok without freezing yet. I think when I installed the new Norton 360 it installed two Identity Safe programs. One with 360 and one as a stand alone. I remember it mentioning Identity Safe was available as a free program and it asking if I wanted to install it. You would think there would be some type of check for this when 360 installed. I will hold off on the reinstall if there are no more freezing problems. THANK YOU all for your help. You are a great bunch of people.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

DwayneH wrote:

I downloaded the uninstall tool and was about to run it when I decided to uninstall Identity Safe first. After removing it and restarting my computer I decided to check to see if Identity Safe was still there. It was but it was uninstalled. My computer seems to be running ok without freezing yet. I think when I installed the new Norton 360 it installed two Identity Safe programs. One with 360 and one as a stand alone. I remember it mentioning Identity Safe was available as a free program and it asking if I wanted to install it. You would think there would be some type of check for this when 360 installed. I will hold off on the reinstall if there are no more freezing problems. THANK YOU all for your help. You are a great bunch of people.

Did you uninstall a previous Norton product before installing 360? That could explain the added version of Identity Safe. When you uninstall Norton, it now asks if you want to install the stand alone version of Identity Safe. If you are reinstalling Norton, you do not need this, but if you were switching to a different security product, you might want to keep the Identity safe functionality for your passwords.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi DwayneH,

As peterweb explained a previous uninstall could have caused the install of the the Stand Alone.  If the Stand Alone was selected, it would have showed up as a separate entry in Programs & Features (Add/remove for XP).  So if you "uninstalled ID Safe via a separate entry, then that is what happened. 

I have had the same thing (2 ID Safe programs installed) happen to me in the past and it appears that Norton will not install the Stand Alone if you alreadyhave N 360 or NIS (which has the ID Safe as part of the UI), but is not capable of detecting the installation of the Stand Alone when you try to install the full product version.

Hopefully @prasanna_a  will see this post and comment on it.

Kudos0

Yes I did uninstall the old version first since Norton had changed something with the name and the code would not work with the old version. Both were 360 but my old version had premium or something with the name. New version did not. I then was prompted to install identity safe after the uninstall. That seems to be the problem. I have not had any freezing since the uninstall so my problem is fixed. Thanks again for the help.

Kudos0

Glad you got it sorted!
Kudos0

Good  news. 

This  is a fairly recent addition to the function of the uninstall for Norton products. I have not had to reinstall since this was added, so I have not seen the messages given. Maybe the message could be more clear about not installing the Identity Safe if you are reinstalling your Norton?

Kudos0

The problem is back and is worse than ever. Recently Norton updated the toolbar and identity protection that were giving me trouble in the past. After that update the freezing is worse than before and now Norton 360 also freezes. If I keep the toolbar and identity protection from loading no problems. I am just about ready to give up on Norton. Too many problems. Everything was fine until this update.

Kudos0

Do you find anything related to this issue in Windows Event Viewer?
(something like faulting application, may be)
If yes, please post back that details too.
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

As you marked the original thread as solved, you should start a new thread for this reocurrance. Solved threads do not get as much attention.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.