• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos3 Stats

Knock Knock Norton Are You There? Any Word On The LiveUpdate Issue Mentioned In These Threads?

Hello Norton,

I have yet to see a post by Norton in response to the LiveUpdate issue mentioned in the following threads (if I missed it, I apologize):

Recent NIS 2014 LiveUpdate issue is affecting Windows 7 as well
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Recent-NIS-2014-LiveUpdate-issue-is-affecting-Windows-7-as-well/td-p/1175399

Most recent updates crashed NIS
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Most-recent-updates-crashed-NIS/td-p/1174835

Norton antivirus update interferes with Internet Explorer 8 on window XP (new issue?)
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-antivirus-update-interferes-with-Internet-Explorer-8-on/td-p/1174583

But more importantly, it has now been a number of days since the issue was first reported, and the silence is not playing well with those affected. Please confirm/acknowledge that you are aware of the issue,. Please let us know if you are planning to fix the issue. And please let us know if you have an ETA for the fix.

Regards,

Steve

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Knock Knock Norton Are You There? Any Word On The LiveUpdate Issue Mentioned In These Threads?

Hello Norton,

I have yet to see a post by Norton in response to the LiveUpdate issue mentioned in the following threads (if I missed it, I apologize):

Recent NIS 2014 LiveUpdate issue is affecting Windows 7 as well
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Recent-NIS-2014-LiveUpdate-issue-is-affecting-Windows-7-as-well/td-p/1175399

Most recent updates crashed NIS
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Most-recent-updates-crashed-NIS/td-p/1174835

Norton antivirus update interferes with Internet Explorer 8 on window XP (new issue?)
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-antivirus-update-interferes-with-Internet-Explorer-8-on/td-p/1174583

But more importantly, it has now been a number of days since the issue was first reported, and the silence is not playing well with those affected. Please confirm/acknowledge that you are aware of the issue,. Please let us know if you are planning to fix the issue. And please let us know if you have an ETA for the fix.

Regards,

Steve

Kudos0

Re: Knock Knock Norton Are You There? Any Word On The LiveUpdate Issue Mentioned In These Threads?

Hi, Steve. I have highlighted this problem with Symantec, and as you would have seen from one of the threads, Support have already said that the issue is being investigated but with no time frame for a solution, as yet.

Symantec's stock answer to requests for a time frame on patches ,fixes and new updates, is " When it's ready ".

No point in issuing a fix, that doesn't fix.

Kudos0

Dear stevet7890,

You are not alone on this issue.  Many people including my mother is suffering this problem.  What the problem is Norton released a update last week that caused Norton Internet Security as well as probably some other Norton products with antivirus/internet security to have some problems with older PCs' with older CPUs'/Processors'.  I had the same kinda issue on my father's PC (who is now deceased) with Turbo Tax.  Turbo Tax wouldn't run on his PC cause it was a older PC with an older CPU/Processor.  They released a update for Turbo Tax that fixed that problem of course with them I had to call to find out what was going on first and then where to get the fix.  Once I installed the fix Turbo Tax worked fine on his PC.  Both my mother and father's PCs' are using Socket 462 Processors'.  This is why Turbo Tax wouldn't run on my dad's PC and this is why Norton Internet Security won't run right on my mother's PC.  Until the patch is released Norton Internet Security and other Norton products with antivirus/internet security will NOT run right on older PCs' with older Processors'.  Newer PCs' with newer Processors' seem NOT to be affected by this issue.  My PC I'm using a AM3+ Processor and not having any issues with my Norton Internet Security and my Norton Internet Security is the same as what my mother is using.  This issue seems to be only affecting older PCs' with older Processors'.  I have been talking to Norton through phone and chat about it and this is how I know so much about what's going on.  I also know there is no estimated time it will be fixed, but when I asked the guy to maybe take a guess he said maybe a week or two.  I know they said 24 to 48 hours, but something this complicated looks like it would take a while to fix.  I'm sorry for your frustration as well as everyone else out there.  My mother including.  Let's just pray it gets fixed soon.  The fix I was told will be released via Live Update and Intelligent Updater.  I have found a few secrets playing around with the Norton glitch as well as Firefox (Note: This may not work for everybody).  I noticed on my mothers PC if I open her Norton and it actual crashes with an error and just doesn't close with out the error if I don't click close Norton continues to run as long as you don't click close.  I was able to do a Live Update and a successful one by doing this as long as I didn't click close to the Norton error the Live Update continued to run and complete!?!?!?!  Now if it closes without warning or error then I had to try and open Norton all over again and try again until I got the error finally and was able to complete the update.  This was only with the latest Norton Internet Security 2014 older versions you probably won't be able to do this as before 2014 we had 2011 and once it closed it closed and couldn't be reopened without resetting the computer, but 2014 seems to come back up over and over as long as you keep clicking the icon on the desktop.  As far as Firefox I noticed if I received an error when starting it as long as I didn't click close it would allow me on the internet, but with Norton not running I was unsure if I was protected or not so I just totally disconnected my mother from the internet till the fix is released cause why take a chance of getting a virus or spyware!?  I hope this helps alot of people out there as well as you.  O yea the Firefox issue has to deal with the Norton issue.  Reason Firefox crashes is cause it's trying to find the Norton Intrusion Prevention Add-On for Norton, but when Norton's not running it can't find it so it crashes Firefox.  This may also be affecting Internet Explorer as well.

Kudos0

Saw in other threads that apparently the issue had been fixed. So, ran LiveUpdate for the first time since running NRnR tool a couple days ago. The update was 20+ MB and 17 of 17 items where updated. After the third process in the Live Update status report changed from "Installing 17/17"  to "Completed," NIS 2014 unexpectedly exited/closed itself exactly as it had done when the issue appeared. So, I was not hopeful; but, after restarting the computer, it appears that all of the issues reported at the top of this thread have been reolved.

Thanks to the community for all the help, info, and updates. Unfortunately, there are many who might have difficulty installing the fix as one of the symptoms of the issue was NIS unexpectedly exiting/closing itself, including during the time that LiveUpdate is running. In addition, it appears that some are still experiencing the issue after supposedly running LiveUpdate to completion after the fix was released. Hopefully, somehow this stuff all sorts itself out.

Regards,

Steve

Kudos0

Kudos0

The Symantec just release the new version 14.1 which fixes the crash. Please run liveupdate to get the latest update.

Kudos0

chi_zhang,

I just ran NIS Live Update, it had 7 updates to process.  That finished, I rebooted, but still have the same issue with IE8 and FF31 on Win XP SP3.  Doesn't seem like anything has changed.

Kudos0

chi_zhang wrote:

The Symantec just release the new version 14.1 which fixes the crash. Please run liveupdate to get the latest update.

Hi chizhang:

Thank you for the status update.

When you said "new version 14.1", were you referring to the Intrusion Prevention (IP) driver?

I ran LiveUpdate and rebooted and when I go to History | Show | Intrusion Prevention I see that my IP engine is still v. 7.0.0.214 and my IP driver is still v. 14.0.0.431.  According to my LiveUpdate history I just received an IPS Definitions Update with the LiveUpdate and my new IPS definition set was updated to v. 20140904.002.

I'm using NIS v. 20.5.0.28 (2013).

-------------
MS Windows 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 32.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Hi, Imacri. I have 21.5, and my Intrusion Prevention engine is still 14.0.0.431.

Maybe it's a throttled update ?.........

Kudos0

chi_zhang wrote:

Still at 14.0.0.431

Kudos1 Stats

Hello guys,

Perhaps these are the updates i've received today:

IPSCA.dll, IPSng32.dll, IPSldr32.dll are on v.14.1.0.4

Sandro

Sandro
Kudos0

Sandro_cm wrote:

Perhaps these are the updates i've received today:  IPSCA.dll, IPSng32.dll, IPSldr32.dll are on v.14.1.0.4

Hi Sandro_cm:

Where are those files located, and did you mean IPSEng32.dll rather that IPSng32.dll?  I can only find one of those files at C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\20.5.0.28\IPSCA.dll (v. 11.1.0.73) for my NIS v. 20.5.0.28 (2013) installation.  Do you know if they're hidden files?

I'm thoroughly confused.  I had a FF32 crash late Wednesday 03-Sep-2014, and according to the Modules tab on the crash report here the files IPSEng32.dll and IPSLdr32.dll (both v. 14.1.0.4) were involved in the crash.  Now I can't even find those files on my hard drive, but it appears I had these two v. 14.1.0.4 files two days ago.

I haven't had any problems this past week with the IP engine changes with FF31, and now I can't tell if my FF32 installation is corrupted or if all the IPS patches have created a new issue on my 32-bit Vista system.  Someone from Symantec really needs to explain what caused the problem in the first place, even if only in general terms (e.g., CPUs that did not support SSE2, old MS Visual Studio versions on some systems, etc.), and what files have been changed with the latest patch so we can tell if we actually received it.

-------------
MS Windows 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 32.0 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

This is the path where I found these files:

C\ProgramFiles\Norton Internet Security\NortonData\21.2.0.38\Definitions\IPSDefs

See screenshots attached.

Contrary to what I said in the previous post, these files were downloaded on 09/03/14 and it's only the IPSDefs folder that shows 09/05/14.

just wanted to add that I don't have FF installed on my computer and I cannot say if installing it, these files would be moved in the Engine folder?

Both folders 2014/09/03 001 and 2014/09/04.002 (see screenshot #2) contain the same versions of the 3 files I had mentioned in my previous post.

BTW, now I'm confused as you are.

Edited to change dates that were wrong, sorry.

W7 SP1 32bit - NIS 21.5

Sandro

Sandro
Kudos1 Stats

Hi Imacri

Did you look under Norton Data > IPSDefs > 20140903.001 | 20140904.002

I find IPSEng32.dll and IPSLdr32.dll (both v. 14.1.0.4)  even though History > IPS still logs 14.0.x

Kudos0

Hi Bjm,

My History shows 14.0.0.431 for both folders (20140903.001 and 20140904.002)

Sandro
Kudos0

Hello Sando_cm

My History shows 14.0.x  |  My Directory shows 14.1.x

So, now I'm confused

Kudos1 Stats

FWIW, my Win 7 system with Norton Security Suite from Comcast installed shows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security Suite\NortonData\21.1.0.18\Definitions\IPSDefs\20140904.002- as 14.1.0.14

My Vista NIS shows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\NortonData\21.1.1.7\Definitions\IPSDefs\20140904.002- as 14.0.0.431

Interersting!

Kudos0

Hello yank,

Yes it is  

Based on OSs?!

Sandro
Kudos0

bjm_ wrote:

So, now I'm confused

Weird! You may try to restart the computer to see what happens?

Sandro
Kudos0

Sandro_cm wrote:

bjm_ wrote:

So, now I'm confused

Weird! You may try to restart the computer to see what happens?

IPSEng 14.1.x was apparently installed 09/03 <link>

My History reflects 09/04 --  09/05 <link>

So, I've restarted at least twice since 09/03

Kudos0

Hi Sandro_cm:

Cheers for pointing me in the right direction!!  I finally found them, and all 3 files (created 03-Sep-2014) are v. 14.1.0.14.  The path for NIS v. 20.5.0.28 on my 32-bit Vista system is:

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_20.4.0.40\Definitions\IPSDefs\20140904.002

...and like bjm_ , the IPS driver in my security history is still listed as v. 14.0.0.431 as of 05-Sep-2014.

It's anyone's guess at this point whether Symantec employee chi_zhang was even referring to the IPS driver in message # 6 when he said "The Symantec just release the new version 14.1 which fixes the crash".  Version 14.1 of what?

-------------

Kudos0

Thank you lmacri.

I agree, it would be nice to get some clarification here.  An official update would be nice, rather than just, this version number (of something or other) is released.

In the meantime I've uninstalled FF31, and done a new install of FF32.  Ran LiveUpdate again, and rebooted hoping for a better result, but still having the same issue.  Running Win XP SP3 on a P4 2.53GHz.  IE8 still does not work either.

Kudos0

Hello Imacri,

I would not say wrong... Looking in the same folder, there are two .sys files, IDSvix86.sys and IDSXpx86.sys installed on 08/27/14 that are IDS Core Drives v. 14.0.0.431 which are the latest released by Symantec and work with IPSCA.dll, IPSng32.dll and IPSldr32.dll v. 14.1.0.4 which would seem to be the update mentioned by chi_zhang (Symantec employee).

Here is a screenshot that shows the two Drive files updated recently, same version but creation date corresponds exactly at the time that have been updated: 05/09/2014 22:27 (09.05.2014 10:27 US-time)

Mine is only a hypothesis, but it could be so.

Sandro

Sandro
Kudos0

Sandro_cm wrote:

Mine is only a hypothesis, but it could be so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're on to something Sherlock.  I can feel it. 

Kudos0

bjm_ wrote:

Said in Italian is just a common phrase, meaning changes in English?

I thought you wanted to comment about my post, no bjm?

Sandro
Kudos0

Sandro_cm wrote:

bjm_ wrote:

Said in Italian is just a common phrase, meaning changes in English?
I thought you wanted to comment about my post, no bjm?

Siete a qualcosa Sherlock Holmes. Lo sento.

Non fermatevi adesso. Andare a fondo di questo e risolverlo pronto.

Le mie scuse per perdere qualcosa nel vernaculor english

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.