Solved.
Kudos0

Norton Utilities Ultimate won't update without asking for Activation Code, then gives Error 6

Bought a subscription to Norton Utilities Ultimate thinking it would be a good replacement for another system utilities product I had been using; boy am I sorry now.  The product says it has an update which it shows as an "Upgrade" and when I select to install it, after installation it asks for my Activation Code AGAIN (the product was already installed and licensed on my computer!), so I go to the email which Norton sent me as a receipt and enter the Activation Code AGAIN!.  The first couple of updates this worked.  Now the product gives me an "Error 6: Whole Home License has been violated. Please uninstall from any Pcs that are not in your home group and try again." Sheesh, I only have it installed on 3 pcs, how can I have violated the license, and why does it keep asking me to reactivate when it should be aware that it was already licensed on my PC in the first place!!!  What a nightmare. 

Oh, and the above message is followed by a nice statement "If you believe you are receiving this message in error please contact Norton Support and mention Error 6.", but you think there is any link to contacting Norton Support on the popup dialog, or even on the account page when I login to my account?? I'll let you guess the answer to that one (which is why I've resorted to posting this on the Forum; there's no way to get to Norton that I can tell; not a happy customer about this at all).

Is anyone in Norton Support looking at these messages/posts?  Does anyone know why the program is acting this way and how to get beyond it failing to update? 

Sorry for venting a bit, but this is so frustrating.  I've been a Norton customer of 360 for decades and NEVER run into anything like this with a Norton product.

Norton Utilities Ultimate, Version 21.4.6.565, OS Windows 10 Pro, Error 6, Reproduce by accepting the upgrade notification from Norton which states that there is a new version available.

Solução aceita
Kudos0

Re: Norton Utilities Ultimate won't update without asking for Activation Code, then gives Error 6

If having this error... I finally got someone to do what I requested which is the easiest route to get back up and running, have them issue another product key and reactivate your subscription... Problem solved

J

Respostas

Kudos0

Re: Norton Utilities Ultimate won't update without asking for Activation Code, then gives Error 6

Kudos0

also got Error 6 it is not on you get many times it is a strange bug only way to fix it is to call support

Kudos0

Thanks for the link. I see that many have run into this same issue.  Glancing at some of the specific instance logs it seems that Norton has NOT resolved the issue. I did find a support link so will be calling to see where it leads.  Thanks.

Kudos0

Hi.  Thanks for the post.  I did find a support link so will be calling to see where it leads.  Thanks.

Kudos0

Kudos0

Widely occurring issue... Have had 2 systems go down after updating to the latest "patch"... No fix as of yet... Usual steps to fix this according to me watching tech remote in was to reset the winsock and flush the dns...

J

Kudos0

I just went through this myself.  After chat support couldn't seem to get it, they did a remote pc session but still couldn't get it.  I had a thought of what if I uninstalled NU ultimate on one of my other systems and then reactivated the system that had this error, which was my main pc, and then reinstalled NU on the pc that I just uninstalled from then reactivated that system, it worked, at least for me.  It almost seemed like my license was "stuck" and having a pc removed from the license got it "unstuck" and allowed me to reactivate on the pc with the error and reactivated successfully on the pc I removed to see what would happen.  Kind of a pain to do, but its worth a try.

Windows 11 Pro 21H2 22000.613 x64 / Edge 100 / Firefox 99 / Norton 360 22.22.3.9 / NU Ultimate 21.4.5.428 / Veritas System Recovery 21
Kudos0

Nope still wont do anything... So I guess if cant get it fixed... Gonna have to raise a stink... They are leaving no choices other than to bring attention to a service/app thats been purchased and is basically useless... Its not like this is a new issue or that many people are getting affected by it... From my dealing with fixing and building systems since '99... Activation errors are "usually" server/software side and NOT hardware issues consumer side... 

J

Solução aceita
Kudos0

If having this error... I finally got someone to do what I requested which is the easiest route to get back up and running, have them issue another product key and reactivate your subscription... Problem solved

J

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.