Este tópico do fórum precisa de uma solução
Kudos0

PWM keeps popping up to ask to save new password when it autofilled the current one.

When NPWM autofills a login site with a current login and password and I click on <login> PWM pops up and asks to save the "New" login. When I do click <save> it changes my login to a nonsense URL in the vault. When I click on the <go to site> in the vault the website blocks access from my computer. I had to delete and reenter all my logins to the appropriate URLs which works fine but the popups asking me to save the new password still continue although I haven't changed the old one. I just close out the pop up window without clicking on <save> or <remind me later> and everything runs fine but the pop up is annoying. I cannot use it to automatically save logins. The only ones that work are ones that I enter in my vault manually.

Respostas

Kudos0

Re: PWM keeps popping up to ask to save new password when it autofilled the current one.

Wow!? sorry, no idea what happened.  
What browser?
What Norton Password Manager version #?
Are you using Passwordless Vault Unlock? 
Are you running browser password manager along side Norton Password Manager?

Maybe, review your Autofill & "reminders" settings?

Settings For is site specific. 

Maybe, you're seeing Passwordless Vault Unlock
https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8547677#comment-8547677

Kudos0

Re: PWM keeps popping up to ask to save new password when it autofilled the current one.

I'm using Chrome Browser. NPWM version 8.1.0.73. I'm not using Passwordless Unlock. Using Chrome password manager alongside. CPWM Settings show:  "Offer to save password" is toggled to OFF and that this setting is controlled by Norton. It also offers to the option to <Manage> or <Disable> this setting. I don't know what either option would do so I chose neither; "Sign in automatically" is toggled OFF.   My NPWM functions properly when I access website login URLs via CPWM, my Bookmarks or manually enter them. It just doesn't work when I try to go to the site directly from my open Vault.

Kudos0

Hmm...Chrome 118.0.5993.89 looks different.  

Chrome password manager.  I have Offer to save passwords & Sign in automatically = off.   

and that this setting is controlled by Norton.

Hmm, with Chrome password manager.  I'm not seeing "this setting is controlled by Norton".

Kudos0

Do you have a VPN enabled?

Kudos0

No I don't.

Kudos0

How do you enter the Vault? Via the extension on your browser or through the Norton Interface?

Kudos0

I've used both but don't recall if just one was having the problem. I tried to show a screen shot of my CPWM setting page but the cut and paste was not allowed.

Kudos0

Kudos0

I have Chrome version 118.0.5993.89

Kudos0

Kudos0

MichaelGTherriault:
Okay: I'm seeing Norton Password Manager is controlling this setting...your side. 
Thanks

Head scratch: I'm not seeing Norton Password Manager is controlling this setting...my side. 
Chrome Version 118.0.5993.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Norton Password Manager Version 8.1.0.73
W10 Home 22H2

Kudos0

Is Google Password Manager and Chrome Password Manager the same thing?

Kudos0

seems the same 

Kudos0

MichaelGTherriault:
Since, you run Google Chrome Password Manager along side Norton Password Manager. 
Do you have some duplicate credentials in Google Chrome Password Manager and Norton Password Manger. 
Do you have Norton Password Manger > Site access = "On all sites" 
Maybe, change Norton Password Manger > Site access "On all site" to "On click"
With Norton Password Manger > Site access = "On click" for duplicate credentials in Google Chrome Password Manager and Norton Password Manger.  Google Chrome Password Manager will be primary.  Just an idea.  

Kudos0

for example:
Google Chrome Password Manager fills credentials - Norton Password Manager waits for click.

Kudos0

Maybe, I'll try reinstalling Norton Password Manager - Chrome...to see if I'll see "Norton Password Manager is controlling this setting"...my side.  

Caveat: Chrome is not my daily browser.  Norton Password Manager is not my daily password manager. 

Kudos0

I just remembered when I clicked on the <Save> new password button and then went to my Vault to view the login saved not only did I get the nonsense URL but also an old password. I don't remember if it was an expired, current, duplicate or reused one.

Kudos0

I just duplicated the problem!   I went to one of my bank account's login sites. When the page opened the user name and password were prefilled with the NPWM Logo. I clicked on <Login> and was prompted in red print to fill the empty password box which was surrounded in red. When clicked the cursor in the box a drop down menu popped open offering the choice of using the NPWM or the CPWM I clicked on the CPWM password which is identical to the Norton password. The NPWM window popped up asking me if I wanted to save the "NEW" password although it is the same as the one stored in my vault. Although the login boxes were prefilled the Norton logo and security dots I still had to click on the box and Norton PWM in the drop down box before clicking <Login>.

Kudos1 Estatísticas

bjm_:

Maybe, I'll try reinstalling Norton Password Manager - Chrome...to see if I'll see "Norton Password Manager is controlling this setting"...my side.  

Caveat: Chrome is not my daily browser.  Norton Password Manager is not my daily password manager. 

Okay...reinstalled Norton Password Manager - Chrome. 
This time I opted "Set as default".  Prior install...I must have opted "Remind me later".  Sorry. 

Kudos2 Estatísticas

MichaelGTherriault:

I just duplicated the problem!   I went to one of my bank account's login sites. When the page opened the user name and password were prefilled with the NPWM Logo. I clicked on <Login> and was prompted in red print to fill the empty password box which was surrounded in red. When clicked the cursor in the box a drop down menu popped open offering the choice of using the NPWM or the CPWM I clicked on the CPWM password which is identical to the Norton password. The NPWM window popped up asking me if I wanted to save the "NEW" password although it is the same as the one stored in my vault. Although the login boxes were prefilled the Norton logo and security dots I still had to click on the box and Norton PWM in the drop down box before clicking <Login>.

What you note here is how the NPWM works. When you get to a site with a login the NPWM logo is displayed in username and password boxes. That is not filling in the login data. As you noted you need to click on the NPWM logo and you will see login details. If you are offered NPWM and CPWM, you have multiple password managers active. You need to choose which one you want to use and disable the second one. 

When you chose CPWM you should not have clicked on any prompts from NPWM. That seems to be what is corrupting your Norton password entries. If you are wanting to use Norton, you should have just chosen the NPWM option that was offered. Then you probably would not be asked to save any new login.

Kudos0

I was confused by the drop down because the CPWM was covering the NPWM.

Kudos0

MichaelGTherriault:

I just duplicated the problem!  [...]  I clicked on the CPWM password which is identical to the Norton password.

I imagine even though the data is identical.  How the data is stored and populates to the field is not identical. 
Maybe, try (if you want) Norton Password Manager > Site access = On click. 
I recall Norton support agent advising me not to run browser and Norton password manager side by side.  
Just saying. 

Edit: I C peterweb

Kudos0

Thank you very much bjm_ and peterweb. I have been a Norton subscriber for more than 10 years with no hiccups that weren't fixed by an update until this issue. I am very satisfied with their products. Now trying to get an issue resolved or even questions answered appropriately through customer service with a 'Bot is rare so I just want you to know that I truly appreciate your time and consideration.

Kudos0

If you want to use Norton, disable the Chrome browser's password manager. 

Click on the three dots at the right side of the address bar in Chrome and click on Settings. Then click on Autofill and passwords on the right side, then click Google Password Manager on the right side.

On the Password Manager page click on Settings on the left. Then turn off the settings for "Offer to save passwords" and "Sign in automatically". Then click on the user icon at the right of the address bar and be sure you sign out of your Google Account if you are signed in.

Then close your Chrome browser. Next time you open your Chrome, it should not offer the option for CPWM when you try to log into a site.

Kudos0

peterweb:

If you want to use Norton, disable the Chrome browser's password manager. 

I run with "Offer to save passwords" & "Sign in automatically" off.
Chrome password manager auto-fills [see here] credentials. 

Kudos0

If you have signed out of your Google Account, does Chrome password manager still autofill passwords?

Kudos0

peterweb:

If you have signed out of your Google Account, does Chrome password manager still autofill passwords?

Hmm, I'm always Sign'd In to my Gmail account.  I'll Sign Out of Gmail in Chrome and test Chrome password manager auto-fill.  

as test: Sign'd Out Gmail on Chrome.  Chrome password manager still auto-fills credentials. 

Note: I'm still Sign'd In to Gmail on Edge - Windows & Chrome - Android. 

Kudos0

peterweb: Same results here (only use Chrome as browser with Windows 10)

Kudos0

Sounds like Chrome has changed something since I last used it. I'll play around a little with it to see if I can come up with anything.

Kudos0

I tried logging into the Norton Community in Chrome and with both Norton Password Manager and Lastpass active this is what I see displayed. I would have to choose between the two password manager options.

One thing I did notice is that the username was already filled in. I believe this might have been due to clicking a box to "Remember Me" or "Remember username".  So @MichaelGTherriault  and @bjm_  Are you seeing both username and password being auto filled by Chrome, or is it just the username?  If just the username, that information is probably being saved in a cookie for that site. 

So to get a fresh start and test again, I would suggest clearing the browser cache and data. Then restart the browser and see if you are still seeing data being auto filled from outside Norton.

Kudos0

peterweb:

@bjm_  Are you seeing both username and password being auto filled by Chrome, or is it just the username? 

Chrome password manager auto fills username and password: 
Norton Password Manager - Site access - On all sites

Chrome password manager auto fills username and password: 
Norton Password Manager - Site access - On click

Gmail Sign In - email address is already filled in.  Chrome password manager auto fills password. 

Kudos0

You have the Remember me checked. Try unchecking that and then clearing the browser cache and cookies for the page you are logging into to see if you still get this auto fill by Chrome. Do not open your NPM vault for this test.

Kudos0

Note: when I open the site.  I'm not Sign'd In.  Whatever persistent login cookies/cache you think I'm storing.  I'm thinking...I'm not storing because I'm not Sign'd In. 

Remember me checked is default.  
I don't know how to clear Chrome cookies n' cache per site.  
CCleaner run against Chrome (all items except passwords)

w/wo Remember me checked + CCleaner run = Chrome auto fills name n' password

Kudos0

RE: Logins           I have neither Norton.com nor Community.Norton.com stored in my Google Password Manager but GPWM autofills the community login and password and sends me there as soon as I click on the bookmark. GPWM doesn't show up when I try to open Norton.com in a new page. I had the Vault locked both times.

Kudos0

I usually maintain 'norton.com' and 'login.norton.com' cookies (kept with CCleaner Cookies to Keep)

with 'login.norton.com' credentials saved in GPWM.
Community Sign In works as expected. 
'Remember me on this device' is default tic'd.
Email is filled in. GPWM fills password. 

When I remove 'norton.com' and 'login.norton.com' cookies
Community Sign In works as expected.  Email is not filled in. 
GPWM fills Email + password. 

Kudos0

bjm_:

I don't know how to clear Chrome cookies n' cache per site.  

remembered how to clear Chrome cookies and site data per site.   

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.