Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
btrtxx

Win 7 Reports Norton 360, Firewall and Anti-Virus Are Turned Off

[ Edited ]

August 18, 2012: This problem could be serious but maybe it isn't. Nonetheless it's driving me crazy.

I bought Norton 360 Ver 6 about one week ago. Since then I had to contact Symantec Tech Support 3 times for the same issue. Each time the tech support guy was terrfic and please note that each one did something different to resolve the problem. Essentially they removed Norton, did some other work (dll file, reset the server, editing the registry) and reinstalled Norton 360 Ver 6. Each one of the three technicians solved the problem in the short run, assured me it wouldn't return, and within 24 hours the problem resurfaced each time. I'm OK until Live Update kicks in and I have to reboot the computer. That's when Windows 7 reports with a bright red warning. As of today and after serveral reboots, Windows 7 reports:

1. Virus Protection: Norton 360 reports it is turned OFF

2. Windows Firewall and Norton 360 both report they are turned OFF

3. Windows Defender and Norton 360 are both turned OFF

Norton 360 reports it's working but Windows 7 says it isn't. I suspect Norton is working but how can I be sure?

Is there a way to contact someone at Symantec who can permanently solve this very annoying and potentially scary problem?

huwyngr
Topics: 1,001
Kudos: 2,717
Solutions: 368

Re: Win 7 Reports Norton 360, Firewall and Anti-Virus Are Turned Off

You are in the right place for help ... just hang on since there is plenty of experience here among the other users and Norton Staff -- namesin red -- themselves monitor and take part in the forums.

Hugh
Contributor
btrtxx

Thanks Hugh for the encouragement but this sounds like one of those problems where nobody knows the solution. I never had anything like this with Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 which worked great until the end of my subscription. I like Norton 360 and want to stay with it, but if this frustrating, annoying problem isn't resolved soon, I don't think I can hang in there much longer.

huwyngr

<<  this sounds like one of those problems where nobody knows the solution. >>

Not necessarily since we have such a wide spectrum of users here that it is actually more likely that one of us will encounter a problem than even the wide variety of configurations in the Norton testing and support centers. <s> I've seen that happen and even a very recent case -- the Firewall crash if you entered too many rules -- where one of the Norton Staff was finally able to replicate it on his home computer when no-one at home base in Norton had been able to and yet it was affecting a number of users here.

If you want to check that your Norton is working there is the International Standard test file eicar that triggers the same response as a virus without being one:

http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html 

Will take you to the download page where you can download the different configurations

In order to facilitate various scenarios, we provide 4 files for download. The first, eicar.com, contains the ASCII string as described above. The second file, eicar.com.txt, is a copy of this file with a different filename. Some readers reported problems when downloading the first file, which can be circumvented when using the second version. Just download and rename the file to "eicar.com". That will do the trick. The third version contains the test file inside a zip ARCHIVEe. A good anti-virus scanner will spot a 'virus' inside an ARCHIVEe. The last version is a zip ARCHIVEes containing the third file. This file can be used to see whether the virus scanner checks ARCHIVEes more than only one level deep.

Norton has a setting relating to testing inside archives since if it encounters a very deeply embeded file it can take a long time and tie up resources to get down to where the file is and since it is not a danger until you reach and open the archive to release the malware you can disable checking inside archives with safety -- I do so I'm not sure what the default is.

If you decide to check eicar do let us know how you get on.

Something very important -- what security application did you have installed before you installed N 360 and how did you remove it? Most products have a special tool you can download to clean up after the normal uninstall since the best dig so deep into the system that bits can be left behind with a normal uninstall and they can affect whatever you install to replace it.

Hugh
Contributor
btrtxx

[ Edited ]

I switched from Kaspersky 2012 Internet Security which proved ultra reliable and gave me zero problems.. However, prior to that, I used Norton 360 Ver 4 an entire year without any problems. And prior to using Norton 360 Ver 4, I used Kaspersky Internet Security. That tells me something's changed in Ver 6.

In addition to the complete uninstall provided by Kasperksy, I used their removal tool. If that wasn't enough, I also searched the registry for any Kaspersky entries. I found a couple remaining and deleted them but there was one Kaspersky Lab entry I wasn't allowed to delete.

Note: LIve Update updated me to the newest version of Norton 360 which I was hoping would resolve this issue. But that was no help because after the reboot, both the virus and firewall issues mentioned above remain.

yank
Kudos: 2,050
Solutions: 469

Hi btrtxx,

Not sure this will help, but it has worked in the past.  BTW,  Windows firewall and Windows Defender are turned off by the norton installation.

1. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.

2. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:

regsvr32 /u WMIUTILS.DLL

3. Click OK.

4. Restart the computer.

5. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.

6. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:

regsvr32 WMIUTILS.DLL

7. Click OK.

8. Restart the computer.

Let us know if it helps.

huwyngr

bttxx,

I'll leave you in the good hands of Yank who knows far more about firewalls thanI do ....

Hugh
Contributor
btrtxx

Hi:

The first of 3 Norton Technicians tried that dll file update, and then I did it again yesterday to see if it would help. Unfortunately it didn't.

I'm only receiving two messages today, Virus Protection: Norton 360 is turned off; and Network Firewall: The Windows Firewall and Norton 360 both report they are turned off. I understand Norton turns off Windows Firewall but it's also reporting the Norton firewall is turned off.

Thanks

peterweb
Kudos: 1,174
Solutions: 303

Have you checked that your system date and time are correct?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Contributor
btrtxx

I live on my computer so I keep everything fine turned and working properly. The answer to your question is yes, the date and time are right on the money.

Thanks,

btrtxx