Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
VictorM

Symantec Ghost 11 with SATA and IDE Drives

[ Edited ]

Hello all.

I have an old copy of Symantec Ghost 11 which is bootable. Since Norton Ghost 15 does not work with GHO files anymore I resorted back to this version.

My question is this when I boot with this CD it does not allow me to choose the SATA drive (because the drive is not available from the list) which holds the GHO images of a previous Ghost backup It worked for me the first time where it showed all drives (both IDE and SATA)  which were connected the MB. However at the moment I have one SATA drive connected to the onboard Promise Raid Controller and an IDE drive connected to the IDE primary connector on the MB. What I want to do is to Ghost back the GHO image files from the SATA drive onto the IDE drive. However when I choose Disk -> From Image I do not see the SATA drive as part the list of the available drives.

Can anyone tell me if Ghost 11 is capable of working with both SATA and IDE drives at the same time without any problems even if the SATA drive is connected to a onboard raid controller chip ?

Any ideas why Ghopt 11 is doing this because I thought this was only an issue with Norton Ghost 2003.

Thank in advance

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Re: Symantec Ghost 11 with SATA and IDE Drives

VictorM,

I think you need to load drivers for your Promise Raid Controller (in the WinPE).

Contributor
VictorM

Thanks Brian.

I have another question to ask. I am considering buying Norton Solution Suite so that I can create GHO images and restore them at a later time. What I would like to know now is can Norton Solution Suite also restore GHO images made by Ghost 2003 ?

Thanks agin

Victor

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Yes, it will support .GHO files made from previous versions including Ghost 2003.

But if this is just a "one time shot" and your not going to be doing this all the time, why not just temporarily plug the SATA drive back into the motherboard where Ghost can see it?

Dave

Contributor
VictorM

[ Edited ]

Thanks again Dave.

Can you tell me one more thing about Norton Solution Suite Trial (Ghost WinPE) it would not let me restore the GHO images made with Ghost 2003. Is this is a limitation of the Trial version but the purchased version does support GHO images made by previous Ghost programs right ?

Yes and thanks for your idea of connecting the SATA drive back to the computer that drive came from and running Ghost from there.

Victor

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

What happened when you tried restoring a Ghost 2003 image, did it give you an error message or a message about it being a trial?

It used to be that the trial for GSS was fully functional but I recall a friend of mine saying he downloaded it last year and it was not fully working anymore.

But I never had a problem with GSS not being able to use Ghost 2003 files.  It seems to me it supports all .gho files the same way that Ghost 15 supports all .v2i files from previous versions.

You also don't really need to keep old images in that same format.  Once you restore the old GHO file you can reimage it with Ghost 15 and not have to worry about the old drivers (assuming Ghost 15 has no problems with Highpoint cards).

Dave

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

[ Edited ]

I think I remember reading it could only restore images that were made by the trial software. I guess the trial software locks the image to the exe file that created it.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Symantec-Ghost-Solution-Suite.shtml

Limitations:

Timing out
· The trial version of the Ghost Console times out 30 days after the trialware is installed.
· The Ghost.exe expires 30 days after installation. You cannot extend the expiry date.

Licenses
· The trial version allows a maximum of ten client computers to connect to the Ghost Console at the same time.

Writing images to disks or partitions
· The following information applies only to writing an image over a disk or partition, and not to saving an image file to a drive.
· Images created with the Trailware version of Ghost can only be restored by the same Trialware version or by the fully licensed product.
· GhostCast Server does not write (load) any images to client computers except for the Ghost boot partition image.
· Ghost cannnot restore images in standalone mode such as Disk-to-Disk, Partition-to-Partition, Partition-from-Image and Disk-from-Image. Images can only be restored using the Console. The only exception to this is using GhostCast Server and Ghost to restore Console Boot Partition images.
· If you have created an image of a computer with the Trialware client installed you want to keep, you should restore the image, uninstall the Trialware client, install the licensed version of Symantec Ghost client and create a new image.

Other
· The Trialware version does not allow confirmation dialog boxes to be suppressed.
· Symantec Ghost will not install on the computer if another version of Ghost is already installed. This includes the Trialware version. In all cases, you must first uninstall the currently installed version of Ghost.
· AI Packages do not install standalone and can only be deployed through the Console.
· Omnifs, Omnifs32, GhWalk32, and Ghost32 are not included in the Trialware version.
· The 3Com PXE server is not included in the Trialware version.

Contributor
VictorM

Thanks Dave.

Yes I tried Disk -> From Image and Partition -> From Image and got the following error "Useage Error 11136" "Ghost Trialware is only to be used via the Ghost Console or to deploy Ghost Boot Partitions".

Also when you get to the Ghost blue interface window the following message box deploys "This is the TRIAL version of Symantec Ghost Software intended only for evaluating Symantec Ghost Software. This is a demonstration version that is not for commercial use, rollouts, migrations or machine preparations. It will timeout on 0 (null) 0 and can restore only image files created by this particular copy".

Thanks again

Victor

Contributor
VictorM

Thanks redk9258

Yes you are right that is the message I get when the Blue ghost screen starts. Thank for the information it does confirm the message screen I get.

Apperciate the reply.

Victor