Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
ChadGarion25
Accepted Solution

Comcast/Norton Update Question

I installed Norton via Comcast a while back and recently it's started acting up. I wanted to make sure I had the latest edition of Norton but now comcast is offering some god awful bundle that I don't want because it will probably slow donw my computer even more and I don't value any of its additional features.

My question:

1. Is the Norton client (not the definitions) up to date or would it no longer be supported (details below)?
  2. If not, is there a way to extricate a new client from the bundle Comcast offers?

Information:

Norton Version (from the about panel):

• Product Name Norton Security Suite
  • Version 3.8.3.6
  • Media SKU 20901033
  • Current SKU 20901033
  • Family SKU 0000000
  • End Point ID {b3e84d41-2ac5-11e1-a695-8b3db550c3b0}
  • Vendor Name Comcast

I appricate any help I can recive.

yank
Kudos: 2,050
Solutions: 469

Re: Comcast/Norton Update Question

ChadGarion25 wrote:

I installed Norton via Comcast a while back and recently it's started acting up. I wanted to make sure I had the latest edition of Norton but now comcast is offering some god awful bundle that I don't want because it will probably slow donw my computer even more and I don't value any of its additional features.

My question:

1. Is the Norton client (not the definitions) up to date or would it no longer be supported (details below)?
  2. If not, is there a way to extricate a new client from the bundle Comcast offers?

Information:

Norton Version (from the about panel):

• Product Name Norton Security Suite
  • Version 3.8.3.6
  • Media SKU 20901033
  • Current SKU 20901033
  • Family SKU 0000000
  • End Point ID {b3e84d41-2ac5-11e1-a695-8b3db550c3b0}
  • Vendor Name Comcast

I appricate any help I can recive.

Hi Chad,

Actually your porgram is 2 versions behind the times.  As of today the current version of Norton Security Suite is 5.1.0.29.  It is not really a problem to update to the latest version.  Simply follow the instructions in this link:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

A few tips:

When you go to downlod the fresh copy of Norton Security Suite (NSS), you will receive a popup for Constant Guard Protection Suite.  Click on the No Thnaks and that will reveal the Get It Now button which when clicked will begin the download of NSS.  The package you are saying no thanks to is "the god awful bundle" you are referring to.

The running of manual LiveUpdate may take up to 9 reboots in order to get up to version 5.1.0.29.  when you do finally get to "no more updates available" be sure to reboot one more time.

Plese keep us posted.

Visitor
ChadGarion25

Thank you for the prompt and complete reply. I really Appricate it.

I will follow the instructions and let you know how the issue resolves.

Visitor
ChadGarion25

Problem solved.

Rebooting for the live updates was a little arduous, but I started seeing results imediatly in start up time. It was when my computer started taking up to 10 -15 min to start up that I ran Windows 7 Preformance tools and it pointed the finger at ccSvcHst.exe which I learned was thee essential Norton component.

Thank  you for the accurate and switft solution to my problem.

yank

Hi Chad,

Glad you got it all sorted out, and thanks for taking the time to come back and let us know hot things went.

truffle

it worked.........I now have norton toolbar back and the safe icon on searched web sites.

From history, friggin comcast does this every update instead of fixing a known problem in advance,

HOWEVER.....i still cannot get rid of the constand guard icon on my comcast toolbar.  I delete it from references but ach restart, it appears again.

any way to delete the icon permanently ????

trhanks

yank

truffle wrote:

it worked.........I now have norton toolbar back and the safe icon on searched web sites.

From history, friggin comcast does this every update instead of fixing a known problem in advance,

HOWEVER.....i still cannot get rid of the constand guard icon on my comcast toolbar.  I delete it from references but ach restart, it appears again.

any way to delete the icon permanently ????

trhanks

Hi truffle,

With all the problems folks have experienced with the Comcast/Xfinity Toolbar we have been recommending they remove the Toolbar.  I am not sure that will remove the icon - but it should. So I suggest you go ahead and uninstall the Comcast Toolbar and then let us know if that ends your situation.