Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
Artem

Norton 2014 Feature

Please add one function : - when i turn on that function i want to Norton always asked me what
to do with the detected threats (delete or ignore) and no matter what level risk of detected threats (high or low),

emphasis on the word always. Please Please Please. 

function should be disabled by default (in this case Norton will work like always - delete detected threats automatically)

Norton is very good but i am waiting that feature so long, Norton will be much more popular, you can add this feature and hide her just in case :smileyhappy:

Contributor
StefCoulombe

Re: Norton 2014 Feature

I completely agree--the reason why I hate the automatic, un-disable-able background scanning is because we do not have this option.  Norton's virus definitions aren't perfect, and sometimes Norton deletes things that are NOT threats.  (Believe it or not, sometimes it's the user who is right, and Norton who is wrong.  It does happen.)

So:  we absolutely need this function.  Please Please Please.

dickevans

StefCoulombe wrote:

I completely agree--the reason why I hate the automatic, un-disable-able background scanning is because we do not have this option.  Norton's virus definitions aren't perfect, and sometimes Norton deletes things that are NOT threats.  (Believe it or not, sometimes it's the user who is right, and Norton who is wrong.  It does happen.)

So:  we absolutely need this function.  Please Please Please.

Hi,

Question - A serious threat is detected and you have the 'ask' feature activated. The threat is downloaded and, by its nature, begins infecting your computer, what is your reaction to Norton's allowing the threat and your lost of use?

Thanks

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Regular Contributor
Artem

dickevans, anyway i want that feature

dickevans

Artem wrote:

dickevans, anyway i want that feature

Then we will have to agree to disagree. I feel it would allow too many threats throough. They are being released by the thousands daily.

Dick
Regular Contributor
Artem

I repeat for you : 

function should be disabled by default (in this case Norton will work like always - delete detected threats automatically)

Contributor
StefCoulombe

[ Edited ]

Dick,

Look, you talk of "thousands" of threats being released daily. It's been years since I've actually had a "serious" threat on any of my computers, so maybe I'm doing something differently from the rest of you--but in the time I've used it, Norton's actually caught one serious threat, and killed one non-threatening file in its threat witch-hunt. So, odds are 50-50 for me that when it deletes something, it's actually a threat.

Like Artem has pointed out *repeatedly*, this option should be off by default, and would only be turned on by either people who know what they are doing (having judged the benefit to outweigh the risk) or by people who aren't smart enough to read the warnings (and users like that will put themselves at risk no matter how "idiot-proof" the program is).

For those of us in the first category, this *option* would be very helpful. (Emphasis on *option*, as that seems to be easily misunderstood.) ;p

Cheers.

P.S. As to your question: we're not even talking about files that might be downloaded (which, not being on our computers to begin with, will not as likely represent loss of time and money if they are killed mid-download). We're talking about files already on the computer. If a threat has already been there for an indeterminate amount of time since the last scan, then a few more minutes while I ponder the meaning of its existence isn't likely to be problematic. (In any case, I'm not going to blame Norton for my own decisions. ...or is that what you think?)

dickevans

Hi,

My thinking is that it isn't broken and I think that the 'option' weakens the overall security of the program. Therefore I do not think that adding the option is in the best interests of norton or the lawyers that are going to have to defend the corporation from the suits that result from a security program that allows infections to be downloaded befroe any action can be taken.

Dick
Contributor
StefCoulombe

Dick,

It's *not* about downloading the threats.  And the issue of the program being "broken" is irrelevant--most of the suggestions posted here are not "fixes", they are "improvements", as in, "FOR ME, the program would be better if ...."

I know we disagree on this, but *most* options "weaken" the overall security in some way.  Or, do you think the options to turn off auto-updating, disable Insight, turn off SONAR, etc. etc. etc. actually increase the level of security?  These options are there because the user has the right to choose convenience, preference, etc. over paranoia.  If YOU choose to max out your "security level" because it makes you sleep better (or because you actually work in a virus-infested environment), then it's your *choice*.  You don't need to disagree with every suggestion that you would not personally choose.

If users aren't suing Norton because they have the freedom to turn off the auto-update, then I really don't think Norton needs to worry about this issue, either.  In any case, this is a forum for suggestions:  if Norton et al. decide that it's too great a legal risk, then they simply won't do it.  There's no need for users to tell each other that their suggestions are bad ideas, "because Norton and their lawyers are afraid of getting sued".  Artem's suggestion is a good one.  This is a subjective statement.  You disagree; fine.  His suggestion is still good.