• 所有社区 - 中文
    • 论坛
    • 创意
    • 博客
高级

不是您要找的? 咨询专家!

好评5 Stats

Norton Core Server outage

Seems that the Norton core servers started having an outage about 3 hours ago. Why is there no status page, no twitter message, no communication about the outage,nothing...phone tech support hold message said nothing about an outage either...??? I thought it was just an issue with my Norton core so I performed a reset and tried to setup my core back up, that failed so I called support (1 1/2hours on hold......just to find out there is an outage and it should be resolved in 24 hours)......

标签: Connectivity

回复

好评1 Stats

Re: Norton Core Server outage

I did the same thing, resetting the Core, and nothing happened. I was on the phone, over 1 1/2 hours, waiting to speak to someone before I hung up. I did post a question in FB on the Norton FB page. Got an answer about needing updates, but they didn't know when.

好评3 Stats

Are you saying that some server at Norton failed has caused my Core to quit working? 

I lost internet connection around 8:00 and have spent 3 hours arguing with ATT that their system was having problem.

Pulled the Core out of service and replaced with my old trusty ASUS router , and Internet access is back.

I don't recall reading anywhere that my Core functioning was dependent on Norton's crap infrastructure working!!! I can see losing web site filtering, but not losing total internet access. That's a ridiculous epic design failure   Please tell me 
Norton isn't that stupid!!

好评1 Stats

This is just another indicator that Norton did not plan and deploy the Core properly.  They had no idea when they'd ship their product to us and now one of their servers go down and absolutely no communication about it.  Terrible execution.  Seems like a High School Computer Science club is running Norton.

好评1 Stats

I am having the same issue. xfinity internet is fine - I'm hard-wired via ethernet right now, but no wireless connectivity through Norton Core. On hold nearly 1.5 hours now without even an answer. Can run updates on the phone app due to 'no internet connection'. Concerned now about using all data on our Sprint plan since none of our devices has wifi available. Are these routers under warranty? Can I please be notified when this mistake has been corrected so I can get on to something more productive for a while? 

好评0

You have got to be kidding me! I've been on hold for 1 hour 17 minutes and counting. I've reset the stupid thing 4 times. I was about to unplug it and use it to play fetch with my dog. Thank goodness I never returned my Spectrum router. Now I think I'll keep paying the $5.00 month rental and just keep the router for a back up. 

好评0

What servers are not working?  My Core has been working fine all day.  Are they still down?  I just changed my DNS with no problems.

好评1 Stats

Interesting. I'm glad yours is working, maybe it's a regional thing.  I'm in the midwest and have been fighting with this stupid thing all day. Still on hold with tech support by the way 1 hour 39 minutes and counting.  At this point I just want to chew somebody out for not telling customers the service is down. 

好评0

I'm sorry yours is not, I agree it must be a regional thing I'm on the East coast.  I another thread it said that MyNorton was down but I was able to accces.  Weird.

好评1 Stats

I'm on the East Coast. Core folded about 10:30 local. Had similar experience as others - tried soft reset, tried hard reset. Failed at cloud connect. Attempted four more times while on hold for customer support (1.5 hours). Finally pulled out the NetGear R7000 and everything is fine. Checked the https://status.norton.com/ page. Only shows "mynorton" as a problem. Just logged into MyNorton with no problems. Something is wonky...

Without Norton Support to support us, we'll have to rely on each other....

好评0

Even though MyNorton is down can you access?  I was able to login. Curious.

好评1 Stats

Apparently customer service is not their strong suit. I was on hold for an hour and a half prior to coming on here and seeing this. It is a shame that they do not put a message on their prompt to say there is a known issue with Core DNS connectivity, we are working on it...I rarely ever had DNS issues with my ASUS...I think the core will make a great bowling ball for the garbage can.

好评0

I haven't had any problems with the Core DNS service and my Core today.  This seems to be a weird outage. I guess I've been lucky.

好评0

I am located in MI, where are you at?

好评0

I'm in Dallas, still down for me. This morning, I was online, kids were xboxing and service was working fine through Core. Wife could not connect, so I rebooted Core around 11am central and then entire LAN went down. After struggling for a bit, then bypassed Core and all back up. Been on hold with Core support for over an hr now.

好评0

All: Its the beginning of a holiday weekend, please keep that in mind. As soon as the Admins know something we will get that news to you ASAP. At the moment we have not one clue what the cause of the issue is. I do know that the "My Norton" service is down and has been most of the day. https://status.norton.com/

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.116 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.1.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 1.98
好评2 Stats

I don't remember it being advertised as a secure, standalone router EXCEPT at the beginning of or during holidays at which time it will be a brick.  That was never mentioned.

This product has had major flaw after major flaw after major flaw from the beginning.  Time to start firing the engineers and hire people that know what they're doing.  

好评0

I agree with Jason_Koneman.  The fact that this is a holiday weekend is completely irrelevant.  The service and the security of this router are expected to be in full operation all day, every day.

Does anyone have updated information on this issue?  I'm in the Northeast and my router has been down since 10:45 AM.

好评0

Still down for me here in Albuquerque. Had to revert back to Arris. I guess a new product is going to have a few bugs in it. I hope when they fix this it will be for good.

好评0

It has been reported.  That is all we here in the forums can do.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
好评1 Stats

We can do more than just report it here.  We can demand they fix it.  We can go to Twitter and Facebook, etc.... to demand it be fixed.  We can write reviews online and if anyone owns stock they can contact investor relations.  These engineers and project leads need to go.  They don't know what they're doing and it is causing significant problems for those of us that paid for the product.  Pink slips should be going out tomorrow!

好评0

I understand your frustration.  Core isn't available in my country so thankfully I'm not affected, but I have been following threads posted here since before it was released and I agree that it hasn't been a good experience for many.

Anyway, as I said, reporting it is all we can do here.  You can do what you like elsewhere.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
好评0

Why does https://status.norton.com/ not have an entry for Norton core if it relies upon a cloud based service.....????

好评0

I’m in MI. Have been down since mid-day. Hard to run a home business without WiFi. My son found the old netgear in the cupboard and remembered the password. We’re OK for now, but I’m very surprised Norton hasn’t communicated the status of the outage or given any indication when it might be back. Customer service is disappointing.
好评0

7:53pm 12/22/2017 on hold for 1 1/2 hours.  NO answer, NO communications.  What is going on??? I'm hard wired in.  About to buy a new WIFI router and send the bill to Norton.  This SUCKS!!!! At least they could have sent a message via the app to tell everyone.  UGH, I thought Norton was better then this. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

好评0

Flood them with Tweets @Nortonsupport 

好评0

I too spent a lot of time on hold and hung up (against the advice of the recording) once my thisisbs threshold was reached.   Highly unprofessional for Norton not to broadcast this issue immediately!

好评0

好评0

My norton core router stopped accessing the internet this morning.  I waited a LONG time on hold for tech-support without success, then found these blogs saying that  norton's server infrastructure is a failure-point which affects all of us.   If that is true, then major design flaw in my opinion.   I don't want my personal network's stability dependent on norton's infrastructure.   Fortunately I kept my old wireless router.    

好评0

This is one of the reasons it's a terrible design decision to not let the app interact with the router unless you have an Internet connection. Based on a different thread about constantly dropping connections, I had changed my DNS provider from Norton to Google. While it has still dropped the connection a couple times, it has worked most of the day, including right now.

If resetting the router & going through the initial setup again allows you to change the DNS, I suggest trying that and see if it gets you back online until the Norton DNS issue is resolved. I've got to say, these first couple days with the Core have not impressed me. I'm not giving up on it yet, but I'm definitely marking the end of the 30 return period on the calendar to make sure I don't miss it.

好评0

I might be requesting a refund, been out of service here in alaska all day pretty much.  good thing I kept my apple router, i can handle the slightly slower speeds due to inspection of the traffic, but if norton cannot even keep the infrastructure going to run the router then how can I be so sure they are protecting my information and network the best way possible?

好评0

Issue has been resolved according to https://mobile.twitter.com/nortonsupport

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
好评1 Stats

Hi,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. This issue has been fixed. Should the issue recur, please let us know. Thank you. 

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
好评0

Hello

My Core is back up in NJ for about a 1/2 hour so far. Hope it stays up.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
好评0

It will be a week before I re-decomission my Netgear Nighthawk.  If Norton does not take responsibility and is proactive notifying their base, it will be the Core that gets decommissioned. 

好评0

I am heading out today and going to pick up a Netgrear Router.

1st to issue, no way to access the core if you have limited or no internet access with your cell phone and the core goes offline. Because to talk to the core in your home you have to have access to Norton cloud so that you can use there 3 way authentication. your cell phone their cloud and your (should i say Nortons) Core Wifi Router.

Because of limited access to the internet due to limited Cell phone coverage in your area and why you have extenders connected to the core ( now i know this is a bad idea no thanks to 4 hour hold to get to tech support much less then 15 mins i talked before i could not take it any longer and hung up on tech support.

好评0

Monish from tech support just cleared it all up.

basically if i  want to configure my core router i need to drive to find cell phone coverage and this was not due to any firmware update. So when asked what happened said something about all the dns hacking.

Bernard 2nd customer service tech for today. they have no way but to call you back apparently there is no way for them to transfer a call. 

at this point i do really look forward to there customer service survey form.

Thank you

Richard Roberts

好评0

RR255788 Where ever your theory is coming from concerning DNS hacking has zero basis for the outage yesterday. I know no information that suggest that. Infrastructure does have its hickups from time to time. Cloud services being one of them. I would think that an "official explanation" will come after the Christmas holidays. We then shall have it on record vice simple speculation.

Happy Holidays,

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.116 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.1.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 1.98
好评0

I just got my Core online again. Everything appears to be working ok. I have two questions; 1; I saw some posts about DNS settings, Are there any recommended DNS settings, or is the default OK? 2; I have an Arris cable modem that does not have bridge mode, Is it enough to disable the modem wifi?

Merry Christmas 

好评0

My Norton Core is working, but Norton's DNS server still has issues. It is still not resolving certain valid sites.
好评0

Hello DB. On your Arris modem disable the wifi. If you need to keep its DHCP enabled for TV/VOIP phone service, and it has other Ethernet LAN port connect the Core to LAN port 1. This will give you a NAT-NAT setup. If it has only 1 Ethernet port which should then be the WAN connect the core there. NOT OTHER devices should be connected between your modem and the Core.

Cheers

好评0

Thanks for the info SoulAsylum;  I have disabled wifi and the Core is connected to LAN port 1. 

I'm not using TV/VOIP. Should I disable DHCP?

Core is still telling me that it is detecting a second network.

DB

好评0

DB2 NO, don't disable DHCP on your modem/router It needs DHCP to send signal to the Core.

Cheers

好评0

SA; I'm receiving conflicting feedback. Above you said no to disabling DHCP. Then I get an email with this;

29-Dec-2017 | 1:45PM: SoulAsylum commented on Norton Core Server outage

DB2 Yes, disable DHCP on your modem/router and reboot ONLY the router. Check things out afterwards to ensure you are on line.

Cheers

Did you change your mind?

DB

好评0

DB The answer is do not disable your DHCP. My apologies, the forums sends out an email as soon as the post is made. I edited when I realized my copy/paste mistake. I was working two threads at once and posted the incorrect answer in yours.

Cheers

好评0

Thanks

好评0

Anybody else having a real slowdown since the outage? Chrome is creeping along sometimes, Edge and Firefox are so painfully slow they are not worth using at all. It's real hit and miss, sometimes pages load as they should, sometimes they are taking so long to load I feel like I'm back on dial up. The speed test in Core does zero good as by their own statement Norton is only measuring the incoming speed of my modem, it does not test the speed after being filtered through the router.

好评0

No problems with speed.  All browsers equal.  Core speed same as browsers and speed I pay for.

好评0

Thanks for the answer Manny. I'm thinking it might just be me. I had a hell of a time with a Windows update yesterday, took all day to resolve. I probably have an issue with my desktop software.

好评0

I had a significant showdown as well. I'm not sure oud it's the remnants of the attack that took us offline or what. It seems better now though.
好评0

Speedtest shows me right where I've always been on all browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox) and has since the network problem. Unrelated to the DNS issues which can look like a network slowdown because of the long time it sometimes takes to resolve names...until you switch to another DNS.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay (Xerox PARC)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.