• 所有社区 - 中文
    • 论坛
    • 创意
    • 博客
高级

不是您要找的? 咨询专家!

好评0

No reward for loyalty

I have just received the notification that my subscription would be renewed in November...for £64.99!!!

This seems to be despite the new Norton product is cheaper and I can obtain the same thing for half the price from Amazon.

It seems almost universal these days that customer loyalty counts for less than nothing. Is there any reason why I should give Norton my future business??

回复

好评0

Re: No reward for loyalty

Hi, The cost of buying product directly from vendor is usually a bit costlier than getting from a retailer. The renewal doesnt cause you any troubles, everything will be automatic and nothing to worry about. Not even enter a Product Key! Peace of mind guaranteed! But where as, when you try to buy from a local retailer or online store, you need to do price comparisons, area of availality, terms of service and retake policies, the trustness and genuinety of seller etc. Should you choose the easier path, you are to bear the extra cost. Thats my pov..... Anyway if you wish to go to retailers or online store like Amazon, please input the keycode obtained just a day or two before the current subscription ends. Else your currently left days will be lapsed.
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
好评0

I disagree. If we were talking about 10%, or £5, then perhaps that might be reasonable. As it is, Symantec want TWICE the money to thank me for my continued loyalty.

What they are saying, effectively using your argument in a twisted way, we will hold you to ransom over the hassle of installing another system so we can make a bucket of money from you and stuff any idea of loyalty!

Unfortunately, these days, too many people think as you do, so more and more companies get away with this behaviour. Once upon a time customer loyalty was one of the most prized elements of business; now it is looked on as a means of milking the customer, or even an annoyance.

好评0

I can agree partially with your above view. No one is forcing anything. You may have choosen this product based on your parameters of security software or got this pre installed and you opted to continue with it. Yes, there was a time when customer was the king, but now a lot has changed. But always the customer is / will have the last word on what he/she needs. ( i assume its like that ) If you do enough homework, there are ways to get the product at 1/3rd or 1/4th of the price listed officially!
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
好评0

Welcome to the wonderful world of marketing.

Symantec sells its products directly and through retail partners. Part of the agreement with those partners is that Symantec will not undercut the pricing of these partners. The partners in turn are free to set the price at whatever level they are comfortable with for their profit margins.

The price for a subscription Renewal is often more expensive and reflects a "Convenience Fee" for those that do not want to spend time searching for lower pricing, or risk forgetting to renew the subscription and risk losing their security protection.

This has been discussed many times on these forums, so Symantec is aware of the users concerns.

Just a quick search of the community provides the following discussions:

https://community.norton.com/search/site/cost%20of%20renewal?f[0]=ds_created%3A%5B2014-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z%20TO%202015-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z%5D

Sorry,  no excuses, just the facts as I know them.

好评0

I fully understand the nature of modern marketing and economics, but I just have to repeat my initial point:

That loyalty is no longer regarded as a valuable commodity. What you have failed to realise is that the 'fee' is not for convenience, but rather to prevent inconvenience, which while appearing to be the same is actully entirely different.

Indeed, one could argue it is more akin to a protection racket: if you don't pay the fee then your business may suffer a catastrophe, but pay and it won't...!

That the subject has been discussed frequently only goes to show what a travesty it is. Furthermore, raise the issue with Symantec and the price tumbles down. I'm happy they've done so in my case, but I'd far rather they set the price at a reasonable and justifiable level. If they then rewarded my loyalty I'd happily remain with them as long as the product serves its purpose.

好评0

hi Aardvark7

As you quoted sterling I guess you're in the UK, I don't know which Norton you are using however, PC World website is quoting NIS 1 year 3 pc at £22.00.

I agree with you about Norton and the costs, I used to renew through Norton until I realised they we ripping us off. I now buy from Amazon, I've never had a problem with dodgy product or PC World.

It is hardly any inconvenience to order online from either of the above and takes a few moments to enter the new key and be up and running for a further 12 months. The "convenience" of auto renew is not worth £40 of anbybody's money in my opinion. 

Michael

好评0

fwiw ~ Many Norton security products come with an additional feature called Norton Virus Protection Promise. This is available to customers who purchase their product subscription directly from Symantec, or to retail customers who sign up for the Automatic Renewal program during initial setup.
Starting September 23, 2014, the purchase of certain new Norton Software products will include Virus Protection Promise (per Norton Support)

好评0

don't call it a promise. just do the right thing by your customers - you won't have any problems with loyalty.

Norton should be serving its customers.

--------------------------------------------- i7-3970x 64GiB 2x4TB, 1x2TB, 1x256GiB SSD ASUS P9X79 Deluxe win7 ult 64 sp1 retail -|- Dell Dimension B110 Celeron XP Pro 32-bit 1x250GB ---------------------------------------------
好评0

I assume Norton needs to setup a rewards program by which the more you have business with them, the more they give you as a thank you. Like credit points of credit cases which you can spent on a later time. I appreciate the idea, but its a bit difficult in this cut-the-expense-for-profit age. :-(
好评0

If they then rewarded my loyalty I'd happily remain with them as long as the product serves its purpose.

How would you define customer loyalty?

好评2 Stats

SOJ:

Perhaps loyalty can be defined as those customers who continue to purchase a company's product year-after-year ... even though the product is not always top rated, and even though the company does things that are not very customer friendly such as:

• Produces a new forum that is released too early and is full of bugs.
  • Produces a new forum and releases its major flagship products in the same timeframe (making it hard for customers to properly report problems with the new products).
  • Releases major flagship products with bugs that were identified during the beta test and still not fixed 2 months later.
  • Releases major products without simultaneously informing their chat agents of a consistent plan for migrating subscriptions from old to new products.
  • Fails to be proactive in having anyone browse these forums looking for customer issues and informing their engineering staff so timely status can be provided to customers and timely fixes make.
  • I could go on.

Customers who continue to purchase a company's product in spite of issues like those above could be defined as "loyal". I suspect that due to the above, Symantec may find they have fewer loyal customers.

好评0

To SendOfJive,

Defined as continuing to buy their product.

It goes like this: I see that a product will do what I need for the right price, so I buy it. The following year, I need the product again, but there are alternatives. How do I decide? If the price of the original item rises out of proportion then I go elsewhere. If the company want me to remain a customer they reward me by offering a good price.

It's not a difficult concept.

好评0

To Geek47,

Unfortunately, it is all too common these days (I've been with Norton once before many years ago!). The companies bring out a good product but soon forget the customer and treat them like dirt.

Norton was the first AV I used and had to look elsewhere. The same pattern followed with McAfee, F-Secure, Vipre, BitDefender, and seems to be repeating itself all over again. Always different, yet always the same!

好评0

To SendOfJive,

Defined as continuing to buy their product.

It goes like this: I see that a product will do what I need for the right price, so I buy it. The following year, I need the product again, but there are alternatives. How do I decide? If the price of the original item rises out of proportion then I go elsewhere. If the company want me to remain a customer they reward me by offering a good price.

It's not a difficult concept.

It's a valid concept, but it seems to be more about comparison shopping than brand loyalty.  For example, I might have a loyalty to a particular brand of gasoline for my car.  I can purchase the brand at 5 or 6 service stations around town, each selling it at a different price.  I might look for the least expensive location, but I will always opt for a station selling that brand, because I think it is the best product.  If I go across the street to buy Brand B instead, simply because it is five cents per gallon cheaper, it is no longer a situation of brand loyalty - it is strictly buying by price.  There isn't anything wrong with that - it may be the smart thing for a consumer to do - but it is not a matter of customer loyalty.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.