• 论坛
    • 创意
    • 博客
高级

不是您要找的? 咨询专家!

好评0

SECOND IE downtime by Norton

Hello Norton, all,

For the second time in as many months, I find myself frustrated by Norton. My internet, which was functioning fine until I left for a bit, refused to open anything past my saved homepage. I KNOW it was a Norton LiveUpdate Error, because not only did it update in a timeline that fit the pattern, a connectivity test by my OS claimed that Norton Firewall was blocking access. I ran LiveUpdate AGAIN and the error fixed itself. Whether this was a last-minute patch they fed through or something else, I have no idea.

I am absolutely disgusted by the product Norton tries to pass as acceptable. I am a 360 subscriber, and am seriously considering switching after my current subscription expires. It is one thing to block access to pages in order to protect me, it is quite another to block the entire web. Again, this is event 2. In 2 months. With LiveUpdate at the root. UNSAT.

回复

好评1 Stats

Re: SECOND IE downtime by Norton

Hello

What version of N 360 are you running? No one that I know of has had any problems or complained about losing IE. You may be the first.A new patch came thru this past week for the English language users so far, but we haven't heard of any IE blockages by the Smart Firewall. I use IE 11, but I am on Norton Security and I haven't seen any one else complaining about any blockages with IE. What Operating System and service pack are you running? Did you get the new version yet? That would be patch 21.7.0.11. If you just got that patch, it does require a restart. If you are using win 8/8.1, Norton as well as many other programs needs you to shut off Fast Shutdown. Your thread is from Sunday night. It is now Monday night, you are the first to have seen this blockage. Do you have a screenshot of your History logs showing that your N360 firewall blocked IE There would be reports of it in Norton Community Watch also reporting a blockage.

Live updates do get corrupted occasionally. They can usually be fixed by waiting a few minutes and trying a  manual live update. Or else just wait for the program to fix itself. It certainly wasn't like the last time when we were blocked for 6 hours.  I got blocked by that one completely  until I ran the live update and got the corrected IPS definition. By watching logs, I knew what caused it and when it got fixed..

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
好评0

I'm running whatever version I had for a while. I'm not a tech guru, and I have only basic understanding of what you are asking for. I run Windows 8.1, and I assume, IE 11. I restarted THREE times trying to fix it, because I thought it was Windows. I finally ran a "Fix My Connection" test (I never do because they are generally useless) and it said that Norton Firewall was blocking access to anything beyond my homepage. I ran a manual Norton LiveUpdate and it must have pushed a patch or something, because it fixed it.

No, I don't have any screenshots. I certainly have no clue what "Fast Shutdown" is. If I need to restart, I hit the restart and wait for the computer.

The point here is despite the fact it was resolved, it happened. I'm not going to document every little thing and offer a complete explanation with charts and powerpoints of what happened and how I fixed it: That's your product testers' job (If you have any). Either the developers are slacking or the patches and updates are being pushed without testing, which is an issue by itself. I needed to do work, and YOUR product interfered by limiting my access for well over an hour. That is a problem. If you cannot offer me a product that won't interfere with productivity at critical moments, I won't be offering my cash. *Rant Over*

Before I leave the impression that I am an UTTER jerk, allow me to offer my thanks at your response. I appreciate that you are doing your job and trying to figure it out to help me, but really, my first reaction to my work not getting done isn't recording the problem. I have deadlines to meet. I get upset. 

I have uploaded a recent history log. If you want anything else you're going to have to walk me through it.

文件附件: 
好评0

Findurian,

For the record, floplot is not an Symantec employee, just a user of Norton like you and I who volunteers her time to help where she can.  It is not her product as you put it and they are not her "product testers".

Thank you for you consideration.

Windows 10 x64 1903
好评0

I apologize if I stepped on any legal toes here, but I saw "guru" and thought she was an employee. Plus, the questions and facts floplot presented led me to believe she was. If my complaint is a priority only because I incorrectly assumed somebody worked for them, then there's a bigger problem with Norton than I thought.

I am NEW to these forums, and, according to you I haven't had an OFFICIAL answer. If that's the case, why doesn't Norton address this? Even if it is just me, there are still questions I want answered. As a paying customer for a product that displays subpar elements, you'll have to excuse my anger. I paid for good service, a product they promise will function, and if that interferes with my work I will drop them after my subscription expires. I am well within my right to question the product they gave me if it is faulty, and I do want answers. If they refuse to furnish those answers, I will have to agree with my techie friends who laughed when I told them I use Norton.

That said, what assistance can you offer me? I am willing to find logs or whatnot, but at the end of the day, I paid for moderators to answer my questions. So, if I am too offensive, fine. Don't help. But while was wrong to demand the answers from floplot, it was floplot's jurisdiction to tell me otherwise. Please don't waste my time by lecturing me. It benefits neither of us.

Floplot, I do formally apologize for my earlier posts indicating you worked for Norton. My temper was high, as I had a major project that was delayed by Norton's issue. If you cannot forgive me, please direct me to someone who can help me.

好评2 Stats

Please answer Flo's opening question:

What version of N 360 are you running?

Then we will know if it's updated to the version that does run under Windows 8.1.

If you don't know how to get the answer to a question all you have to do is ask.

Click on Help/Support on the main screen of your Norton 360 and hover the mouse pointer over About in the list. This will bring up a screen with the Version ID on it that is in the form nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number.  Don't quote the KEY here which is all in letters.

Hugh
好评1 Stats

Hello

After giving his attached log a quick look over, he now has 21.7.0.11 I think he got the download on the 23rd. Most likely, he got the download and didn't realize that he received it. If the computer was rebooted after getting the download, I am guessing that it wasn't a complete turn off of the computer and the startup as it is required of Win 8./8.1. Sorry, I can't read over that log completely as I can't ruin my eye sight any more than it is now. I didn't see if it said that IE was blocked or not This is just my personal opinion.

Running another Live Update wouldn't fix the need for a shutdown of the computer.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
好评0

Hello,

Thank you all for helping. Especially you, floplot. I was rather rude.

A few basic facts, dunno if it'll clear up anything:

Version 21.7.0.11 is currently running on my computer

Update and internet interruption occurred at or around 1900-2100 (was afk during this time) on Sunday, Mar 22.

Internet issues persisted for most of an hour. Tried IE app and regular desktop IE. Nothing on app at all, nothing beyond homepage on desktop. Windows IE connection check, at one point, alerted me that Norton firewall was denying access.  Two restarts initiated by me during this time. No change. Turned off Norton Firewall briefly. Again no change

Circa 2200 Mar 22, Perform Live Update with Norton. Successful update and Norton indicates restart required. Restart. Internet suddenly works again. Very upset, post complaint on forums to express displeasure and see if any others have same or similar problem.

Thanks again.

好评5 Stats

Findurian:

Internet issues persisted for most of an hour. Tried IE app and regular desktop IE. Nothing on app at all, nothing beyond homepage on desktop. Windows IE connection check, at one point, alerted me that Norton firewall was denying access.  Two restarts initiated by me during this time. No change. Turned off Norton Firewall briefly. Again no change

If turning off the firewall did not resolve the problem, then it was something other than the firewall.  It actually sounds like an internet outage (not sure what your homepage is, but you might have been looking at a locally cached version, rather than an online version).  Did you happen to check the lights on your modem or router at the time?  Did you try any other online activities, such as checking for updates with one of your installed programs or checking for email with an email program?  It could also have been an issue with your router or modem that may have prevented your computer from having an assigned IP address.  Might even have been a DNS issue preventing the PC or router from looking up IP addresses for internet sites.  If you have other internet connected devices, were they also affected?

好评0

Hello

LOL. I had typed out a whole response and then I deleted it. I think SOJ read my mind while I went to play my online game. I had added trying to do a tracert and even said how to do a tracert. I think in my hurry to play, I deleted my post instead of saving it. Oh well.

好评0

I asked another person using the same wifi if he had an outage and his reply was no.

(My homepage is yahoo)

Trying other internet applications yielded no results.

Again, I am POSITIVE the Live Update fixed the wifi. I tried restarting, I tried waiting, I refreshed browsers, opened a couple extra tabs, closed and restarted, did a little black magic, summoned a Balrog from the Eighth Circle of Torment, fought the Hunger Games, whatever. Nothing but that manual Live Update fixed my wifi.

Next time (hopefully not), screenshots.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.