• 论坛
    • 创意
    • 博客
高级

不是您要找的? 咨询专家!

此论坛帖文需要解决方案。
好评0

Norton 360 Smart Firewall and Installation issues

I have Norton 360 version 21.7.0.11 installed on my computer and every time I run auto fix it keeps "repairing installation". I usually do this often
because in the past I have discovered that for some reason Norton 360 slows my PC to a crawl and therefore needs to be periodically checked. Notice this
issue is happening on a fresh install with Windows, with all updates applied. Also there are no error messages to speak of just that eventually Norton
hangs my system and the previously mentioned fix needs to be applied to get it to a working state. I also noticed this occasionally happens when running
the trusty second opinion scumware scan with Malwarebytes.

Also keep getting UpNP blocked messages from Smart Firewall as follows:

Rule Rejected
Rule name Default Block UpNP Discovery
Rejected
Severity . Normal
protocol udp 17
port ssdp 1900
direction- inbound
process path C:/windows/system 32/svchost.exe

I have the offending IP address and will furnish that information if deemed appropriate. My concerns are that this will clog my security logs with Norton,
that this is an attempt to install worms on my system, and finally whatever this is is looking to break the firewall down with repeated connection attempts.
These are my issues and concerns, looking forward to feedback or responses. Thanks for your time.

标签: Norton 360

回复

好评2 Stats

Re: Norton 360 Smart Firewall and Installation issues

Hi antonymagnus:

Many users, including myself, often see the "Repairing Installation" message if they run a manual Autofix (Support | Get Support) and it's likely just a minor glitch. 

When I click the Copy to Clipboard link and paste the details into Notepad, all it says is the following. I don't know what causes it but I've seen this with several different versions of NIS and I suspect that the "repair" it performs (if any) is just a Pulse Update.

Norton Internet Security
Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
6002.19346.x86fre.vistasp2_gdr.150312-1556
Norton Autofix Results: 1 item(s)
Installation :: Success

Regarding the Rule Rejected UDP(17) and Block UPnP Discovery in your security history, this is also a common entry in the firewall log that many users observe and can be safely ignored, especially if the rule severity is Normal - see SendOfJive's explanation in the thread Rule Rejected UDP(17) Traffic.  In my case it appears to be triggered when my Norton Smart Firewall detects signals being broadcast from my router.  The default internal address of your router should be listed in the manufacturer's documentation - Linksys brand routers, for example, typically use 192.168.1.1 for their internal IP address.  Here's one of these UPnP blocks from my own security history with the same process path of C:/Windows/System32/svchost.exe.

Regarding your system hangs, could you provide any additional information as to why you suspect N360, as well as some general information about your computer (e.g., Windows OS, computer model, amount of RAM)?  Please see my comments in the thread Using Silent Mode to Prevent Hard Drive Usage on how to use the Norton Performance Graph and Norton Tasks window to see if you can isolate the process (.exe file) and/or N360 background task that might be causing the problem.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 38.0.1 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.1.6
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G

好评0

lmacri, thanks for your kind reply regarding my issues. I see you stated that the installation fix is a minor glitch that exists with the main culprit being pulse updates and therefore no need to be too concerned. The information on my pc is Vista X64 bit and also a Windows 8.1 X64 bit pc, the vista
PC has 12 gigs of RAM and the Windows 8.1 has 6 gigs of RAM. Why I think it is Norton causing these problems with both PC's is that as soon as I notice
a siginicant slowdown with pc performance, ie windows explorer stops responding, slow browser movement, jerky sytstem behaviors, ususally all this clears
up upon my troubleshooting the issue and it usually is the Norton 360 Auto Fix that seems to get everything back to a usable state. Other fixes I utilize
for troubleshooting slow system performance,second opinion scumware scans, sfc checks, checks disks, defrags, loading minimal startup programs, nothing of
that sort seems to work until I apply the Auto Fix. I will keep and eye out for the offending process with what you mentioned but so far I have not
noticed anything, I assume it is some background process Norton 360 is doing in the midst of me trying to use my PC's but again when it happens I will
verify what process.

In additon to troubleshooting I tried a fresh install of Windows and used a Bitdefender Free Antivirus edition and default Windows Firewall for a few
days to see if the hang troubles would continue. I regret to tell you that I noticed with those programs I noticed a more speedy, responsive system with
even faster internet speed and less crashing even when gaming. So after that I reinstalled Windows again with a fresh Norton 360 install and the problems
resume. So the conclusion I draw from that is that Norton is the culprit.

As for the other Rule Rejected UpNP firewall message I see what you are saying, yes it is true that I utilize a router with a router firewall enabled. I
wonder if that is the case with my issue because the offending IP address starts with a 233? I traced the connection and it came back UNKNOWN. Private
IP address' normally are assigned 192 IP address', and if it was my Internet provider that would have come up in the trace log. It also would have come
back as Private had it been the router in the trace. I really do not know although I am happy that Norton is blocking the connection attempt. I will
review the information you provided. Thanks and I hope the information I provided helps to clarify my issue, sorry I neglected to mention the Operating
system and such in my previous post, personal memory is not good these days.

好评1 Stats

Hi antonymagnus:

Just a few things to consider while you're monitoring your Performance Graph and Norton Tasks window:

Is the Fast Startup feature enabled on your Win 8.x computer?  This feature sometimes interferes with the loading of Norton services at startup and Win 8.x users often report that disabling this feature and re-booting a few times improves their Norton performance.  See the support article Nothing Happens When I Try to Run a Scan in my Norton Product for instructions on how to disabled this feature, as well as comments in tagomago's thread Scan Not Working on Windows 8.

You also mentioned that you run second-opinion scans with Malwarebytes.  Do you use the free on-demand version of MBAM or do you use the paid PRO/Premium version that runs in real-time protection mode?  Norton and MBAM generally work well together but if you use the Premium version it might help to add scan exclusions for your MBAM executables in N360 as instructed in GethPrime's thread Malwarebytes and Norton Can Work Together?

I'm not sure if you re-installed your Windows OS on both computers, but did you have Bitdefender or any other antivirus program (including any trial version installed by your PC manufacturer that might have been re-installed if you restored your computer to its factory settings) installed on your computer before you re-installed N360?  Even if you uninstalled this AV software from the Control Panel, orphaned files and/or registry entries could still interfere with your Norton installation and should be wiped off your system with the manufacturer's removal tool.  ESET maintains a list of links to removal tools for Bitdefender, McAfee and many other common AV programs <here>.

I'm not a gamer, but you might also find some helpful information in dragonnova's thread Norton Internet Security Not Running Full Scan regarding Rule Rejected UPD(17) traffic and online gaming (in her case, Steam).  If you noticed that your system performance drops when you're gaming let us know what games you play and we might be able to suggest a few tweaks for your Norton settings that alleviate the problem.

Finally, I'm not a networking expert but I seem to recall that IPs in the range of 233.0.0.0/8 are reserved for multicasting where one data stream is sent to many receivers.  It's possible that your firewall is detecting and blocking some suspicious activity (e.g., a hacker randomly looking for an open port or a backdoor into systems) but it might also be something completely harmless like a multicast from your ISP.  I'll PM one of the Norton Gurus who has more experience in this area and ask them to review the info you've posted.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 38.0.1 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.1.6
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G

好评1 Stats

antonymagnus:
The information on my pc is Vista X64 bit and also a Windows 8.1 X64 bit pc, the vista PC has 12 gigs of RAM and the Windows 8.1 has 6 gigs of RAM.

Hi antonymagnus:

You didn't mention your specific version of 64-bit Vista (I'll assume it's Home Premium SP2 or higher if you have 12 GB of RAM) or your computer brand/models, so if these are home-built systems could you also let us know if you've recently made any hardware upgrades.  It would also be helpful to know if you've used N360 in the past on your machines without experiencing system hangs or if you're a new N360 user.  When users have a performance issue with their Norton product we typically recommend that they refresh their installation with the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool or perform a clean reinstall with the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) (post back if you want instructions on how to safely perform a clean reinstall with the NRT) but if you reinstalled both your Win OSs before re-installing N360 it's unlikely that running the NRnR tool would help.

In additon to troubleshooting I tried a fresh install of Windows and used a Bitdefender Free Antivirus edition and default Windows Firewall for a few days to see if the hang troubles would continue. I regret to tell you that I noticed with those programs I noticed a more speedy, responsive system with even faster internet speed and less crashing even when gaming. So after that I reinstalled Windows again with a fresh Norton 360 install and the problems resume. So the conclusion I draw from that is that Norton is the culprit.

I'm not familiar with all the features of the free Bitdefender AV, but remember that N360 comes with many additional features like a two-way Smart Firewall, Norton Backup, Tuneup for system cleaning and optimization (including a disk defragmenter that is scheduled to run automatically) , Norton Identity Safe for password and identity theft protection, Norton Community Watch, Norton Safe Surfing, etc.  Some of these features like Backup, Tuneup, and Community Watch (and even Norton Identity Safe if you don't use this feature for password management) are not critical to your real-time malware protection and can be disabled if you want to test how they affect your system performance - the offline user manual for the latest v21 of N360 can be downloaded <here>.
-------------

好评0

The Vista x64 bit is ultimate and no the Malwarebytes version is the free on demand scanner. I am aware that running more than one Av/AS suite can cause
serious system issues therefore I never do so and only run one at a time. The Windows 8.1 X64 bit system came pre-installed with McAfee and was uninstalled
according to McAfee's instructions to just do so from the Windows Add/Remove uninstallation method. So no other virus running on that system other than
Norton 360. The Vista X64 bit box only had Windows Defender and Windows Firewall pre-installed on the Retail version and as far as I know the Norton
360 product upon installation disables those programs. If Windows Defender and Windows firewall are causing issues I am unaware of it, I have not noticed
any problem reports or other information that suggests that this is the case. If I am mistaken please elinghten me as to how to disable the Windows
Firewall and Windows Defender so this does not interfere with Norton 360.

And yes it has always been the case where significant slowdowns occur on both systems and I have become accustomed to running a AutoFix just to keep my
system's in a usable state. I would rather not mess with Nortons default configuration as I am loathe to do so, usually I let programs run in an out
of the box state. As for games sometimes yes it does block my Steam, I get error messages from Steam "Server not found, try again later" or some such
nonsense when I am fully aware that Steam is up and my internet connection is live. I think Norton sometimes blocks the connection for whatever reason.

The Vista x64 bit system I just reinstalled completely with a fresh Norton 360 install, although I will try the uninstall tool you mentioned on the 8.1
X64 bit system. I will also look into the information regarding fast startup feature in Windows 8.1 although you would think Symantec would find a way
to have Norton play nice with newer system features. Obviously if this is an ongoing issue they have not and I would suggest that this needs to be done.
I will look into the information you provided and see what happens.

One last thing and completely off topic but I did notice that Bitdefender Free Av was much more adept at blocking malicous URL traffic than Norton. Kind
of gives one pause to consider what Norton is missing.

好评1 Stats

antonymagnus:

The Vista X64 bit box only had Windows Defender and Windows Firewall pre-installed on the Retail version and as far as I know the Norton 360 product upon installation disables those programs.

Hi antonymagnus:

You're correct, N360 should automatically stop the Windows Defender service and deactivate any Windows Firewall components at boot-up that could conflict with your Norton protection.

The Windows 8.1 X64 bit system came pre-installed with McAfee and was uninstalled according to McAfee's instructions to just do so from the Windows Add/Remove uninstallation method.

Using the manufacturer's removal tool to remove remnants of old AV installations is a common practice - see quietman7's comments in the bleepingcomputer FAQ Answers to Common Security Questions - Best Practices (Replacing Your Antivirus).  AV manufacturers often recommend using these removal tools before you install their product - note the warning message at the top of the ESET support article Uninstallers (Removal Tools) for Common Windows Antivirus Software I mentioned in my previous post.  There's no guarantee it would help but if you'd like to try the McAfee Consumer Products Removal (MCPR) Tool to clean up possible remnants of your old McAfee installation, instructions are provided in Step # 2 of their support article How to Uninstall or Re-install Supported McAfee Products Using the Consumer Products Removal Tool.

As for games sometimes yes it does block my Steam, I get error messages from Steam "Server not found, try again later" or some such nonsense when I am fully aware that Steam is up and my internet connection is live. I think Norton sometimes blocks the connection for whatever reason.

If you search the community for "steam" you'll find that many Norton users have problems running Steam games on their systems.  If none of the solutions posted in the forum by other Steam user are applicable and the suggestion posted in dragonnova's thread <here> to create real-time scan exclusions in Norton doesn't help, try setting the Access to Allow in the Smart Firewall Program Rules for your Steam executables to ensure full access through the firewall (see instructions in grindy's thread Allowing Traffic Through Specific Ports) or try a common gamer's trick and place N360 in Quiet Mode (Settings | General | Silent Mode Settings | Quiet Mode on Detection of | User-specified Programs | Configure | Add) when you use Steam.  You might also want to start a new thread in the Norton or Steam forum to discuss specific issues related to Steam and Norton to ensure this problem gets better exposure.
-------------

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.