Incorrect elapsed time on Full System Scan history log entry
I'd noticed that since upgrading to NIS 22.10 and now to 22.11, the history log entries for Full System Scans indicated that those scans were taking roughly twice as long as previously, with no significant change in the number of items scanned. After running a manual scan today I now realize that the elapsed times recorded in the history log are wrong.
Today's scan took around 26 minutes to complete but when I checked the history I found the Scan Time had been logged as 56 mins 20 secs.
I'm currently on 188.8.131.52, running under Windows 7 Professional (64 bit).