Email scam notifications

Issue abstract: Email scam notifications driving me nuts

Detailed description: Recently Norton began popping up notifications on the screen telling me of scam emails that it had blocked. I’m very happy that it is blocking them, but the endless snowfall of notifications is far worse than the scam emails. I have tried to figure out how to turn them off and have failed. Is it possible? I’ve used Norton since 1998, but if I cannot turn these off then it is time to move on to a better product.

Product & version number: 26.4.10932 (build 26.4.10932.983)

OS details: Windows 11 Pro

What is the error message you are seeing?

If you have any supporting screenshots, please add them:

fwiw ~ my understanding:

Norton released new UI update version 1.0.148 with fix for your issues.
Please run LiveUpdate and Restart machine to get the fix.

Actually, they replied to me privately, asked some questions, I sent them some answers and I think a screen shot and then the discussion ended. I just now realized that the annoying notifications stopped a few days later. I don’t know if they have a way to push a test update out to a specific customer or if they fixed it for everyone a month or more ago, but I’m happy either way.

I just opened Norton. It said I needed to restart to update, but after the update I am at 1.0.145, not 1.0.148. Probably fine though.

Thanks for answering.

Hello @FatBear
Please run Norton LiveUpdate + Restart (not Shut down) machine.

Norton Security 26.7 for Windows is now available!

Hello @FatBear
Care to share your progress?
Thanks

Sorry, the problem seemed to go away about a week before your last message. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hello @FatBear
Thanks for sharing your progress

It’s back. Rattling off lots of notifications about stuff that is not urgent. Driving me nuts. Must have been a software downgrade. (I’m sure they call it an upgrade, but that’s not how it appears to me.)

1 Like

Hello @FatBear
Care to share screenshot?
Are you running Norton 360 Deluxe?
Are you running Norton 360 Advanced or Norton 360 with LifeLock?
Are you running Local Email Client?

The “endless snowfall” of notifications you are experiencing is tied directly to the newly enhanced Safe Email / Scam Protection module, which monitors network traffic and loudly flashes a popup every time a junk mail server attempts to deliver mail.

AI sourced content may make mistakes

Note: If you run a Standard/Deluxe plan and ONLY use browser webmail like Gmail, these alerts are actually fake browser scareware scams mimicking Norton, as standard tiers do not possess cloud webmail scanning code.

AI sourced content may make mistakes

Show email scam notifications

AI sourced content may make mistakes