This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos46 Stats

STOP THE ANNOYING POP UPS

CAN YOU GUYS FOR F. SAKE TURN THIS SHITTY POP UPS OFF?

I PURCHASED A PSEUDO ANTI VIRUS AND I DON'T WANT TO BUY ANYTHING ELSE FROM YOU.

EVEN IF I DECIDE I CAN LOOK FOR IT ONLINE.

SO EITHER YOU REMOVE THIS MOTHER F. POP UPS FROM MY COMPUTER OR THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME I BUY THIS SHIT.

Replies

Kudos14 Stats

Re: STOP THE ANNOYING POP UPS

I DON'T WANT O BUY ANYTHING ELSE FROM YOU. YOU ARE THE MOST ANNOYING COMPANY ON EARTH. NOT TO MENTION THIS SHIT SCANS STUFF MARKED NOT TO BE SCANNED.

Kudos4 Stats

Curious, do you have Special Offer Notifications On or Off?
With Special Offer Notifications Off.  I see fewer Norton advert pop-ups. 

for example: with Special Offer Notifications Off

and with Special Offer Notifications On

Note: with Special Offer Notifications On ... after Smart Scan run.  I opt Close. View Solution calls Norton advert pop-ups.  Close runs File Cleanup.  

Note: Special Offer Notifications Off does not stop all Norton pop-ups. 
Please review:

Norton device security Administrative Settings have defaults that maximize protection and performance for most users. In rare circumstances, you may want to customize settings for certain features and automated tasks.

ACCESS ADMINISTRATIVE SETTINGS

1. Open your Norton device security product.

If you see the My Norton window, next to Device Security, click Open.

2. In the Norton product main window, click Settings.

3. In the Settings window, click Administrative Settings, then view or change the default settings:

• Special Offer Notification: When On, your Norton product notifies you about promotions, discounts, or special deals.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-360/current/solutions/v19213721

Kudos12 Stats

Yep I am ditching Norton. There is no solution to the daily restart pop ups and renew subscription pop ups ... ( I am an auto pay pal resubscribe ) .
I am sick to death with the pop ups. 

Kudos9 Stats

Bjm_, I have gotta ask this: Do you actually use this product? If you do, you would know that even with those options turned off, you still get pop ups/service notifications. Can you offer a solution if I tell you that I have the following options turned off in the administrative settings:

Report card, Norton task notification, Special offer notification, and Norton community watch.

Do you know how annoying it is to still get pop ups every other day? I got two today directly from Norton. That is the whole point to have an antivirus, no? To get rid of pop ups?

Kudos3 Stats

spyder5:

Bjm_, I have gotta ask this: Do you actually use this product? If you do, you would know that even with those options turned off, you still get pop ups/service notifications. Can you offer a solution if I tell you that I have the following options turned off in the administrative settings:

Report card, Norton task notification, Special offer notification, and Norton community watch.

Do you know how annoying it is to still get pop ups every other day? I got two today directly from Norton.

Yep, I actually use Norton 360.   Sorry, I cannot offer a "pop-ups" solution.  I think I see fewer pop-ups with Special Offer Notifications Off.  I do not run Smart Scan.   I do not run Norton Performance/Optimization tasks.  Report Card Off.  Chat Support today recommended Norton Community Watch Off [here].   I got two pop-ups today for browser add-ons.  I ignore them.  Maybe, try Silent Mode/Quiet Mode [info here].  
Maybe, trial security solutions.   Maybe, run Microsoft Defender.  

Kudos1 Stats

Gina Wilson5:

Yep I am ditching Norton. There is no solution to the daily restart pop ups and renew subscription pop ups ... ( I am an auto pay pal resubscribe ) .
I am sick to death with the pop ups. 

"daily restart pop ups"?  Curious, do you run W10/11 Fast Startup On or Off? 
"renew subscription pop ups"?

Please check your Norton account to confirm ... Automatic Renewal Off ... and no billing information. 
MY SUBSCRIPTIONS reports:  Activate Subscription Renewal ... with Automatic Renewal Off.  

BILLING INFORMATION reports:  There is no billing profile saved in your account ... with no billing information.

https://my.norton.com/extspa/account/subscriptions

Stop your Norton subscription from automatically renewing
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20090818144126EN

Note: Norton Utilities subscription may be tied to Norton 360 Automatic Renewal On

Kudos5 Stats

I am with you 100% on this issue. I have "specials offers" off and still get a ton of Norton pop-ups trying to sell me more services.  Pretty sure if I said "yes" to all of them my Norton bill would be astronomical!  It's already pretty high especially considering they are actually removing features from my subscription like Norton Utilities.  I am seriously considering looking for another option or just ditching a 3rd party program and using WIndows Defender which has supposedly greatly improved.

Kudos10 Stats

The only true solution to this issue.

After reading hundreds or posts on this topic and my personal interaction with product Support I've come to the realization that I have two options.  Before I go on my reading brought an Einstein quote to mind, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result".  With that in mind here's what I faced (1) do nothing and except the fact that neither my action nor Norton's inaction would change a thing. Just accept their intrusion and move on. (2) Do some heavy duty research and testing to find an alternative solution.  Here's what I've come up with.

I used the Revo Uninstaller to remove Norton and all traces of their application then to make sure I ran the Norton removal tool.  Once Norton was gone I enabled Windows Security (all Reports are very good on its AV Protection). Then I installed Malwarebytes Perm., the best on the market for Malware, Ransomware and Exploit protection. I then disabled Malwarebytes from registering itself to Windows security.  This in effect allowed both application to run side by side without issue.

This duel software combination has been running on two Machines for the past two months with great results.  we've gone as far as having one of the machines visit questionable sites and download very questionable software.  The implementation works and we will be moving in that direction over time.

Conclusion: Malwarebytes premium is high quality, very configurable product that's best in class.  Windows Security is now one of the better AV solution, its integrated and updated with regularity.  The only negatives reported with Windows Security were more than overcome when both products were used together.  Additionally, the folks at Malewarebytes are reachable and more that willing to assist with configurations and issues.

I'm not saying this solution is for everyone, however, if you are complaining and complaining without taking action ....

Kudos10 Stats

I'm seriously looking at other products.  If Norton can't get their act together and stop all the SPAM they're sending out they'll loose yet another LONG TIME customer.

Kudos9 Stats

Ok same issue here, After reading through this thread it has become painfully obvious that Norton do not care.

I have just cancelled my auto renewal and will not be renewing this product.

Interesting to see how long this goes on and how many customers will  migrate away from Norton. Sad as I was about to recommend Norton be installed on all company laptops. Not any more.

Kudos5 Stats

my personal issue with these popups is that they falsely make you believe your device is at risk or performing badly. Not, it is not at risk. And a high percentage in perfomance loss is due to norton itself taking up a lot of space. pretty much the only reason I still use Norton is because I can use it on multiple devices and it blocks potentially harmful websites, a function I have not found on any other program

Kudos6 Stats

That's it! Exit Norton. Also a long time user. Removing Norton from 5 computer! 

Kudos1 Stats

leovz:

That's it! Exit Norton. Also a long time user. Removing Norton from 5 computer! 

Curious, do you have Special Offer Notifications On or Off?
https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8517347#comment-8517347

Please check your Norton account to confirm ... Automatic Renewal Off ... and no billing information. 
https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8518478#comment-8518478

Kudos4 Stats

Norton, Please turn these off.  I am planning not to renew if this is not corrected.  All the computers in my household have these popups and family members are mad that I make them have this installed. I see online there is a good blog on how to turn this off, but it is a little bit completed and I am not going to be doing this for every computer in my household. Please turn this off.

Kudos1 Stats

Gayathri_R ADMIN
Please click on the 'No Thanks' link at the bottom of the message, so it doesn't display again. 

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8523122#comment-8523122 

Kudos5 Stats

You are seriously not trying to make people think that clicking on the "No Thanks" or "Not Now" or any of the other buttons that ONLY CLOSE the window is a fix are you?  That's almost insulting.  And if the button is supposed to do something to stop the notices, well it doesn't now and never has.

If you guys don't really understand this is an issue that needs to be resolved.  Then it is very obvious you don't really care what anyone in this tread or any of the others on this topic are saying.

I'm also one of the ones that will be leaving when the subscription is up.  I've already had 5 of my SMBs switch as their subscriptions came due.

Kudos1 Stats

Answer = Drop them

Kudos1 Stats

https://ibb.co/NCYPrtT

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-vpn-popup-no-dont-ask-me-a... says "we are aware" and gives a work around. But none of the so called techs knew about that when they chat or phone me several times over the last year. they wanted to access my pc. they got told where to go. Tey couldhave told me the trust network workaround if that was why thye wanted control of my pc

They are either liars or unable to protect a pc by being unable to have a do not ask again. I would not want a company like that protecting my pc

Anyway i will be dumping them when my sub ends soon.If anyone here is is the US can you find out about consumer law. I think it may be an unfair contract to force ads on people under guise of security.

i am surprised people accept their crap. just dump them .they will learn then

all the threads re the vpn and other ads get closed here pretty quick

Kudos1 Stats

@Pete_Mc

Any ideas re a replacement.? I was looking at Kaspersky but no paypal option. Bit Defender has a payal option. Some speak well of Miscrosoft Defender but i do not like that. Is malwarebtes an av as well as anti malware?

Kudos2 Stats

Adding my frustrations to this thread....  popups need to go if you want to keep me as a customer.

Kudos4 Stats

I just opened my laptop and boom, another annoying advert from Norton. (yes I have already turned off the special offer BS and tried silent mode), it doesn't matter, they just keep pushing them. I have been a home subscriber since 2016 and I just cancelled my renewal. I am done with it. Food for thought everyone, there was a time when Norton (home) wasn't like this. This new marketing approach all started when LifeLock came into play. I know this because I have witnessed the evolution over the last 6 years. I also used Norton for small business clients of mine, dating back to 2010 until in 2020 they f'd over all small businesses with no longer allowing licenses to be purchased directly though them. They migrated to a "locate a partner" when Broadcom took over. Unless you were enterprise level, they could care less about getting your business. They sent wonderful emails, painted this rosy picture that it would be a smooth migration process and it wasn't. Just everyone getting shafted in the end. Don't believe me? Google Norton SBE around 2020 and read all the comments. Honestly, I think they just wanted to push out less profitable subscribers. That's fine, because all of my small business clients are now using Bitdefender Gravity Zone for small business and it has been amazing. I will be looking into it now for home use and possibly other vendors as well. But, I have been extremely happy with Bitdefender, and their servicing partners I have dealt with have been amazing. I know just me ending my time with Norton today is just a drop in a bucket for them, but I am with all of you, it just became annoyingly invasive and spammy and I didn't sign up for that. Buh-bye Norton, you just lost a 12 year customer for good.

Kudos1 Stats

Yep, I am also not going to renew due to the inability to stop the annoying ad popups.

Kudos3 Stats

Could not agree more!  WTF Norton, the idiotic VPN password is weak popup is constant, not to mention other marketing crap that gets sent, even with that option turned off.  I've been a customer for more than 10 years.  My subscription is good until December, after that, I'm out.  I need to find a new vendor.   I didn't sign up for an anti-virus program that creates more spam/annoyance, than it solves. 

Kudos3 Stats

I am experiencing the same here... I have reached the... I have had it stage. If they are working to unload us lowly individual users and go with enterprise I will be glad to help out with that. Pushing advertisements onto one's screen puts them in the same class a malware software. I just read PC Mags 2022 review and they think Norton is great. No, it is not!

Kudos3 Stats

Exactly. Norton is the cause of 90% of my non-human interruptions. It is also at least 80% of the memory slowdowns.

Yeah, I bought some products I don't want in a bundle to get a better price. I haven't "forgotten" to install them. I have chosen not to. Reminding me you can't figure out that pop-ups for sales are annoying is why I am researching other packages as my annual renewal date approaches.

Kudos5 Stats

I completely agree with all of the above. I'm an IT Professional who has used Norton for years & has it on all my client computers. But the annoying sales popups that keep coming up despite clicking "don't ask again" have turned me off completely. It's especially annoying because my clients keep calling & asking what they should do. All this despite "special offer notifications" being turned off! Maybe it increases revenue for Norton but likely will be offset by people like me with many clients opting out of Norton altogether!

Kudos2 Stats

I'm just starting the process of looking to see what to move to.  Any thoughts?

Kudos0

As all the other users have said, there's no way to disable these obnoxious popups. It's like whack-a-mole: you kill one or two today and tomorrow they popup new ones. Not only are the application popups outrageous but Norton also sends tons of advertising emails and you can't turn those off either! Internet advertising protocol calls for advertisers to include "unsubscribe" link in all promo emails. I have yet to find a single Norton email with "unsubscribe" option. I'm not renewing their crap and I hope they untimately go out of business.  

Kudos0

jay324:
Norton also sends tons of advertising emails and you can't turn those off either!

I have yet to find a single Norton email with "unsubscribe" option. 

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8520616#comment-8520616 

Opt-out of Norton marketing email
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v118283428

Kudos0

I would try to find a different solution, but all these companies have rigged their products not to install because I'm still on the last Windows stable operating system. I'm livid that Norton continues to spam my devices. It's obvious they don't care to lose people, because plenty put up with this intrusion. I'm already paying to replace their crappy VPN, and can't use Microsoft's sorry-as_ solution either. It's bad enough that corporations have all jumped on the multi-factor authentication bandwagon that is also slowing me down. Productivity nightmares ... ALL OF THEM!

Kudos0

Those are email solutions, not for our computers. Aren't you reading the comments? SMH

I almost didn't click those links, because I had a suspicion they had nothing to do with this. Typical crappy support to even get people chasing links. Can you say, "CLICK-BAIT!" Now I won't click any of them again.

Am talking to the bjm_ character.

Kudos0

"I then disabled Malwarebytes from registering itself to Windows security." Can you share how this is done? I'm not an IT person.

Kudos0

Bill123456:

"I then disabled Malwarebytes from registering itself to Windows security." Can you share how this is done? I'm not an IT person.

3. Toggle to enable or disable registering Malwarebytes with the Windows Security Center.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039024313-Register-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-with-the-Windows-Security-Center 

Kudos5 Stats

Adding to this monster thread; Getting Phishing pop-ups from Norton. Years later and this issue is still not fixed. Almost every day it seems. On every computer. The company we're supposed to be trusting to protect our workstations, safety, and privacy is so greedy they're the very ones abusing that trust at every possible opportunity. They think it makes sense for us to pay to run their app on our laptops, desktops - and then relentlessly HAMMER US with constant pop-ups on our screens, soliciting and up-selling crap ads no one asked for, that a massive user base has spent countless hours of time trying to DISABLE. NOPE, Norton is just going to hammer us with these nonsensical ads, over and over again. And they're laughing all the way to the bank, since their customers are actually dumb enough to PAY TO BE SOLICITED with this garbage.

Anyone working at Norton with any sense of honor or self respect would escalate this issue and just fix it. Guarantee it's a simple code change to fix the opt-out. But it appears either those "honorable" people no longer exist at Norton; they seemingly have other more sinister reasons they simply feel entitled to repeatedly abuse the trust relationship with their customers. Instead of protecting them from phishing pop-ups, they're the ones actively exploiting them.

Anyone find an alternate app please share; at this stage it's clear the only fix for the problem is to QUIT NORTON COMPLETELY.

Kudos1 Stats

@Norton is horrible, the other one I'd use is McAfee. I don't know how they've been the past few years, but they're #1 of the most popular.

What you said was right on the money and well written. Thanks for saying that for all of us.

Kudos5 Stats

I've been using Norton for many years, and one of the main benefits was that it ran quietly in the background, doing it's thing, so I could concentrate on being productive. Over the past twelve months the annoying pop-ups have got more and more frequent. Clicking 'Don't show me again' doesn't stop some other, almost identical, message popping up a bit later, usually for something that requires an extra subscription.

Well done Norton, now I've got to waste even more time finding an alternative!

Kudos3 Stats

I just got a message from my wife thinking something was wrong with her computer because Norton popped up with some BS notification and then wanted her to “protect” her pc with some new product. I will also NOR be renewing this Norton software.
Kudos3 Stats

I agreed the new popup this morning was worded to alarm people. (Yes I have sales notifications off).

21 days remaining in my subscription and I can't wait to be free of Norton. 

Kudos3 Stats

I honestly think its class action law suit time

This is BS

Kudos1 Stats

Thumperhope:

I honestly think its class action lawsuit time

My License and Services Agreement (Americas) has a Class Action Waiver. 
https://www.nortonlifelock.com/us/en/legal/license-services-agreement/#welcome 

Kudos5 Stats

Typical of all these businesses to have a waiver, but that doesn't stop a lawsuit in the U.S. Those things are limited, and abusing our trust could supersede that waiver, @bjm_

Trick is finding an attorney who isn't in bed with them and wants to pursue this ... if there are enough angry people. They have to find them. Shouldn't be difficult if a subpoena can be created to give the lawyer all the email addresses of Norton customers. It's been done before and will be done again.

Kudos2 Stats

"Don't Show Me This Again" needs to function as a "Don't Show Me This Again"  It currently Does Not.

Do not use Fear Tactics telling people that their personal information was found 3x and you need to buy something to fix it.  This tactic is synonymous with many phishing tactics... the same kind of tactics I cautioned people against when doing IT for a bank.

If you don't fix this by the end of July.  I'm gone.

Kudos2 Stats

Gee, I wonder if all this we're saying is causing software development, by way of marketing, to target our computers with even more nonsensical pop-ups? It's entirely possible to create a distribution list and target those users with nonsense.

I had a blue-screen crash because of a game I'm playing, and after the dump & reboot, Norton starts its stupid onslaught of throwing things up. "It's been a while since you did a scan," not it hadn't. I don't schedule that damn thing to run whenever it wants to, and when I seldomly have to reboot my computer, it asks that dumb question anyway. If I say don't ask me again, Norton puts up the home screen, to persuade me to run it anyway. I ignore and close that blasted window. "Your computer seems to be having stability issues," no it doesn't. I know how taxing that particular game is, how old the drivers are for various things, and it's none of your business, Norton. I tell it not to ask me that again, and after a few minutes, Norton puts up the home screen anyway. I close that attempt. I restart part of the game, but before I get the game itself going, Norton puts up the home screen again. I close it again.

This is getting ridiculous. I know how to admin my computer, and this is bullshit to keep thinking they know better than I. Norton doesn't, and these fools are going crazy. I get emails about products I don't want, and continue seeing other spamming pop-ups trying to recommend more of their software. Either they enjoy pissing us off, or they're desperate to sell other pieces of that program. I already had to replace their stinking VPN and had to pay for that, so NO I'm not buying anymore Norton products. They suck, and if it weren't for the fact I can't install a decent virus program on this computer, I'd bounce even before my subscription ends. Piss on this company. I don't have time to find an attorney to file a class action lawsuit against them. I have other more pressing matters; called LIFE! You, Norton, are interfering with my life, and I don't appreciate it. You're interfering with my relaxation tactics, using my computer against me. I don't appreciate this. NOT.AT.ALL

Keep screwing around and people may be able to get punitive damages, too. In fact, I'm definitely going to find the time to complain about this business and just copy/paste the same thing to different complaint sites, including Consumer Affairs. You're like a dysfunctional family member hooked on drugs/alcohol. No matter what we say, you won't quit and do even worse things in a black-out. You're blind about your destruction. SMFH

Kudos2 Stats

been a norton subscriber for years, i wont be any longer due to these popups, i expect norton to protect me from annoying popups trying to flog me something i dont want. its not worth waiting til my subscription ends as i dont want to wait that long to uninstall this 'once' great software, ill be looking now to find an alternative and then its gone for good

Kudos3 Stats

I joined Norton recently due to the Free Kaspersky not being such a good idea anymore. I am a computer reapir technician and have also transitioned over about 20 of my customers from Kaspersky 

I looked at Avast for my customers and was shocked by the popups and such like and the fact that a number of my customers were conned into extra subscriptions they did not need or want.  I thought "Okay - I will suggest they pay for Norton (via Amazon and remving the auto renewal / Credit card after installing. That way they get a good antivirus and no popups like the terrible Avast. To my dismay I learned that Avast is now part of Norton and it looks like the sharks in the marketing department at Avast have had a hand iin all of these intrusive and (for some older, less tech savvy customers) downright swindling popups urging people to spend more and more for pretty much noting of value to the average user.

What a shame Norton have gone down this route.  It is now another antivirus to cross off the list - not because of its abilities to catch malware but because of its intrusive and underhand sales tactics.  I also help a lot of older folk to purchase antivirus and keep their computers clean and safe. 

Sure, Norton gives you "360" tools but one has to question the value of thse tools:

Dark web monitoring - Free at have I been pwned

VPN - A very poor included VPN that will also not work with Torrent and other scenarios such as iPlayer abroad (which - lets face it is the reason why a lot of people us a VPN)

Password Manager - Well I recommend that customers use a little black book and only write down a clue to the password and keep it safe and secure - I have always cautioned against a password manager - who knows where the passwords are with an online password manager

Software Updater - an abomination that causes more problems than it solves - I suspect this is a direct lift from the Avast equivalent.  Over the years I can't tell you how many computers I have had in becuse of Avast's Performance Optimisation element and software updater element killing folks machines.

Backup - Plenty of free alternatives available like Google Drive (15Gb) or Onedrive (5Gb or 1Tb if you have office 365)

Performance optimisation - Junk!!  Better to spend £40 on a savvy technician to do a damn good cleanup once per year.  The results will be superior in every way

Norton seem happier to earn "subscriptions", which are vastly overpriced and having a big customer Churn (by offering what are, on paper, excellent features and tools - but in reality are pretty much junk) rather than having a loyal and longstanding base of happy users.  Those longstanding users seem to be leaving in droves!

The choices are now becoming less and less (if you want to avoid confusing and bamboozling popups that, lets face it, are solely designed to extract more and more money out of unsuspecting (novice) customers).  For my customers now I am recommending that they remove Norton at the next renewal and stick with Microsoft Defender.  I am further recommending that the install the free version of malwarebytes and do a retrospective scan once per month (or after an event that gives them any concern). 

Microsoft Defender is now as good as most/all of the paid products according to the testing sites (AVTest and AVComparatives) so whey pay for more??? 

Kudos1 Stats

After exclusively using Norton Antivirus since 1983, for all my Windows devices, I am DONE. Searching how to stop the pop-up advertising has only ended in additional frustration, and I am calling it quits. So Annoying!! Can't wait till my subscription expires. Too Much Already!

Kudos0

The only reason they have new subscribers recently is due to everyone jumping ship from Kaspersky.  At this point, I'd rather be susceptible to Russian hacking than Norton's popup bloatware.

Kudos0

Too true (Kaspersky). If BD was not such a resource hog that would have been my new "Go-To" but on the other hand with all the extra dross in Norton, maybe it's no less of a hog.

Kudos0

What's BD @paulsm1?

Kudos0

BitDefender. (4 days to go on this annoying Norton crapware)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.